Sponsored

First trip to the Strip with my new GT

aldeirm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto
Hi All,

I just tried my hand at drag racing for the first time with my new 2015 GT Auto at the icar mirabel track (In QC, Canada).

The car is completely stock, I haven't changed a thing on it and it does have 3.15 gears (I know... I regret this everyday but I have to live with the bad decision I have made).

I did have 91 octane gas for all runs... not that I noticed any difference between regular 87 Octane.

I did about 15 1/4 mile runs and the fastest I was able to go was 13.179 seconds where my 60foot was 2.156.

My average 1/4 mile time was 13.5 seconds.

Also my best 0 to 100 KMH (or 62.1 MPH) was 5.6 seconds which is more than a second slower than what car and driver were able to get out of a stock auto with 3.15 gears (They were able to run that in 4.5 seconds... or so they claim).

I tried making a couple of runs in track mode and the car was always slower at all stages of the race... I don't actually have the exact numbers for the runs with track mode but they were about half a second slower.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Does 13.179 seconds for 1/4 mile sound about right for a stock GT with 3.15 gears?
2) Any tips on how I can improve these times without it costing me too much money or voiding my warranty on the car?
3) are there any techniques to drag racing with an auto other than just pressing on the gas pedal as hard as you can? :p
4) How big a difference would better tires make?

Thanks in advance!

oh and p.s don't ever race a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo with a Stock.... the race was actually depressing, he did it in less than 10.8 seconds! It was actually depressing seeing him fly like that haha
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Do you happen to know what DA the track you run at is? 13.1 for a bone stock car isn't to shabby. If you didn't turn the traction control completely off. Next time you go try that. In a perfect world you should be able to cut a 1.9-2.0 sixty. And run 12.7s at sea level on a cool day. I have a drag car for the 911s.:D

OP
OP

aldeirm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto
Do you happen to know what DA the track you run at is? 13.1 for a bone stock car isn't to shabby. If you didn't turn the traction control completely off. Next time you go try that. In a perfect world you should be able to cut a 1.9-2.0 sixty. And run 12.7s at sea level on a cool day. I have a drag car for the 911s.:D
Excuse my newb-ness but what does DA stand for? As for sea level, I checked online and I think it's 220 feet above sea level.

When I put the car in to Track Mode it turns the traction control off I believe? Or is there more steps to take to turn it completely off? I ran a couple of runs in Track mode and I was getting fairly underwhelming numbers.

Nice what's your car to take on the 911's? I bet it feels good to wipe that smug smile off their face haha

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
DA is density altitude. The higher above sea level you are the more it effects the car. I,believe you have to hold the TC button for 5 seconds to turn traction control completely off. My track toy is a 95 GT. Runs mid to low 10s on motor and when I'm feeling silly I spray it with a 300 shot of nitrous.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
DA= Density Altitude. This is a calculated figure based on actual altitude of the track, air temp, himidity, and barometric pressure. It basically tells you how good the air is. A DA of 0ft is essential sea level at a standardized temp and pressure and is very good for horsepower. Negative DA is often called mine-shaft because the air is very dense and the engine produces even more power. High DA, say 3,000ft and up, will rob your engine of power and slow you down.

OP
OP

aldeirm2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto
DA is density altitude. The higher above sea level you are the more it effects the car. I,believe you have to hold the TC button for 5 seconds to turn traction control completely off. My track toy is a 95 GT. Runs mid to low 10s on motor and when I'm feeling silly I spray it with a 300 shot of nitrous.
cool, thanks! Out of curiosity, From a technical point of view, how does turning the stability control and traction control off help with improving the time? I always thought that having a computer adjust throttle response to give the engine just the right amount of power to improve traction would be better?
Sponsored