Sponsored

First round of IRS mods

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
With 13,500 miles on my 17 GT PP I have decided to start doing some chassis, IRS, and suspension mods.

I am starting with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires (stock PP sizes) and the Steeda rear subframe alignment kit and busing support kit.

I am hoping this combo will reduce the amount of wheel hop and stabilize the rear end. I plan on adding the Steeda rear braces as well.

Regarding the suspension mods, like most of the PP cars, my suspension has become bouncy. Overall the car does not feel as tight and stable as it did while new so the research process has begun.

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions, or feedback. :cheers: :ford:
Sponsored

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I've added wider tires and that feeling of the rear end being disconnected seems more pronounced to me. I've been looking at the Steeda stop the hop starter kit which should help. Once they have a sale I'll probably be buying.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I friend of mine is starting his mod journey and tracks his car like me. He installed ONLY the Steeda rear IRS brace and front IRS brace and constantly raves about the change, stating he felt the rear actually was part of the car. He does time trial racing on a basically stock suspension and is quick. He's a good driver. In fact, he's replicating my suspension soon for the most part and at that point he's going to destroy me... haha.

Darkhelmet22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White 5.0
I have both BMR and Steeda products on my car but the BMR CB005 should be your choice to stop cradle movement.

For the bouncy ride pick what spring you like and use steeda's fixed or adjustable pro-action struts/shocks with their billet rear shock mounts. I have BMR SP080 springs with steeda's fixed dampeners and steeda's billet mounts. ALL the bounce is gone and handling is greatly improved.

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have both BMR and Steeda products on my car but the BMR CB005 should be your choice to stop cradle movement.

For the bouncy ride pick what spring you like and use steeda's fixed or adjustable pro-action struts/shocks with their billet rear shock mounts. I have BMR SP080 springs with steeda's fixed dampeners and steeda's billet mounts. ALL the bounce is gone and handling is greatly improved.
It was a toss up between the Steeda and BMR cradle solution, and I believe both get the job done well, but a local guy had the Steeda parts available for an incredible deal.

Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
With 13,500 miles on my 17 GT PP I have decided to start doing some chassis, IRS, and suspension mods.

I am starting with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires (stock PP sizes) and the Steeda rear subframe alignment kit and busing support kit.

I am hoping this combo will reduce the amount of wheel hop and stabilize the rear end. I plan on adding the Steeda rear braces as well.

Regarding the suspension mods, like most of the PP cars, my suspension has become bouncy. Overall the car does not feel as tight and stable as it did while new so the research process has begun.

Hi there

I have 8000 kilometres on my Australian RHD pony. I have installed the BMR Cradle lock out kit and BMR Vertical links. The car is much more planted in the rear end. Cannot speak more highly of the improvement in the car stability. The BMR products are really very very good.

I'm not a technical person and so the next bit has taken quite a bit of research - because from here some of the modifications that you might choose to make will generate additional Noise/Vibration/Harshness (ride quality) - the dreaded 'increase in NVH'. Some of those things (basically) are where you are replacing bushings in the IRS that are rubber with harder compound (teflon etc) bushings and so there is less play and soaking up potential vibration etc. So at this point you have a choice about what is important to you (I think) between progressively more impressive road handling or ride quality (comfort).

Next up is coilovers - in my case Vogtland coilovers to lower the car by an inch all round. At the same time I will have installed camber plates for the front and camber arms for the rear together with whiteline swaybars and end-links.

Last up (yet to purchase) are new spherical bearings, adjustable toe links and Ford Racing Toe Rod bearings. I think that this should give me the kind of feel I am looking for from the car - and how the car should have come from the factory.

Good luck on the journey :)

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I friend of mine is starting his mod journey and tracks his car like me. He installed ONLY the Steeda rear IRS brace and front IRS brace and constantly raves about the change, stating he felt the rear actually was part of the car. He does time trial racing on a basically stock suspension and is quick. He's a good driver. In fact, he's replicating my suspension soon for the most part and at that point he's going to destroy me... haha.
Front IRS Brace?

OP
OP

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the new tires and Steeda bits installed, and there is most definitely an improvement in traction.

I havnt pushed the car yet, but the rear end does feel much more stable. Overall I am pleased. Mods are fun! :headbonk: :cheers:

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS

My gt pp been overly bouncy in rear since new and far too long..Finally got the rear koni orange srt shocks installed and what a huge difference. I think l'm actually done in that dept for now until I tackle wheel hop..