Sponsored

First new car owner and first Mustang owner. Tips?

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
I was totally going for the V6 and was prepared to love it to bits...

Then I got the GT and takes it out every freaking weekend and drive it everywhere... It eats more bugs than I have the energy to clean out...

I'm amazed at how clean some forum member's rides are... I really can't find the energy to scrub it all out, because if I have that energy I would be driving more LOL
Sponsored

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
The biggest tip? Enjoy the car. Definitely take care of it, but don't be afraid to get it dirty or drive it anywhere. My first nice car was a '99 Vette and I was afraid to drive it in the rain or out in public in fear of it getting a door ding, putting miles on it, etc. After I sold the car, I didn't remember how clean it always was, but I did remember the few times I did take it out on road trips and always regretted not enjoying it more...

On that note, I've had my '16 for a little over 2 months and am about to roll over 5k miles...

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
You folks who balk at the 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. engines make me laugh. You're way too spoiled. I had lots of cars with a LOT less than 300 HP and enjoyed them.
300 HP is plenty on the street. My Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo had less and it was PLENTY fast.
Sickening how spoiled people are.
The GT owners forget the I4 has only 80 ft lbs less torque then the 5.0 and weighs 300 lbs less, over the front axle. Use the sport mode and have fun on the twisties. With that said, I loved all my Mustang V8s and almost went with the 5.0 for this one. But, in the end, I wanted a long legged cruiser, and the I4 is just that. Quiet comfort on the Interstate at 80 and 35-37 mpg. Nice!

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
You folks who balk at the 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. engines make me laugh. You're way too spoiled. I had lots of cars with a LOT less than 300 HP and enjoyed them.
300 HP is plenty on the street. My Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo had less and it was PLENTY fast.
Sickening how spoiled people are.
Interesting that the only person who brought it up was another ecoboost owner. Nothing but compliments and good advice from everyone else. I think the OP's car looks great from his avatar. Everybody buys what they want for whatever reason. With life being so short, I'm not sure I'd get upset about what someone else thinks about my car. :thumbsup:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
  • Do not die because you can't drive a car after you're dead.

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
The GT owners forget the I4 has only 80 ft lbs less torque then the 5.0 and weighs 300 lbs less, over the front axle. Use the sport mode and have fun on the twisties. With that said, I loved all my Mustang V8s and almost went with the 5.0 for this one. But, in the end, I wanted a long legged cruiser, and the I4 is just that. Quiet comfort on the Interstate at 80 and 35-37 mpg. Nice!
300lbs over the front axle? Where are you getting that figure? I think its less than 200lbs total.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Congrats,

Awesome feedback. Can you elaborate on the quick detailer thing? I've never heard that before and just started hearing what detailer is anyway. You able to put together a proper car-cleaning/detailing guide? :hail::hail::hail:
Sorry that is the worst thing you can do with Bird Poo, as you will rub the grit into the paintwork
you can buy special stuff like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Glym-...&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+dropping+wipes+autoglym

These wipes dissolve bird dropping easily, I press the wipe on it for a couple seconds so it lifts it and then it just comes right off, and you are left with a clean car.

Also if you show your car,
a lot of people who go to car shows will park up, and get the polish out, NO NO NO, you are rubbing in the dust from the road into the bodywork
if the car is dusty, better than scratched
always jet wash 1st then wash or snow foam if you have that, than wash

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Sorry that is the worst thing you can do with Bird Poo, as you will rub the grit into the paintwork
you can buy special stuff like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Glym-...&sr=8-1&keywords=bird+dropping+wipes+autoglym

These wipes dissolve bird dropping easily, I press the wipe on it for a couple seconds so it lifts it and then it just comes right off, and you are left with a clean car.

Also if you show your car,
a lot of people who go to car shows will park up, and get the polish out, NO NO NO, you are rubbing in the dust from the road into the bodywork
if the car is dusty, better than scratched
always jet wash 1st then wash or snow foam if you have that, than wash
Not really true. A good detailer, or waterless wash contain high amounts of lubrication to prevent grit from marring/scratching into your clear. So doing a quick detail to get off a few spots will not hurt anything assuming you use the right materials. Clearly if you just went mudding and have large amounts of grit and grim you probably should be running it by a power washer first.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Interesting that the only person who brought it up was another ecoboost owner. Nothing but compliments and good advice from everyone else. I think the OP's car looks great from his avatar. Everybody buys what they want for whatever reason. With life being so short, I'm not sure I'd get upset about what someone else thinks about my car. :thumbsup:
Someone was going to bring it up sooner or later, it’s the nature of the Mustang forums when typing in the words “V6” and “EB’ in any thread or title.

As for the OP, not sure if your ride is a manual, but if it is buy a clutch pedal extender (only $50 and takes like 3 minutes to install). S550s have incredibly low clutch pedals and even tall people are sitting really close to the steering wheel to fully engage the clutch. The extender will make for a very comfortable seating position in relation to the clutch.
Also later on, get an exhaust, these v6s sound really great with some Flowmasters, Roush’s, or Borlas…will bring your car to life.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Someone was going to bring it up sooner or later, it’s the nature of the Mustang forums when typing in the words “V6” and “EB’ in any thread or title.

As for the OP, not sure if your ride is a manual, but if it is buy a clutch pedal extender (only $50 and takes like 3 minutes to install). S550s have incredibly low clutch pedals and even tall people are sitting really close to the steering wheel to fully engage the clutch.The extender will make for a very comfortable seating position in relation to the clutch.
Also later on, get an exhaust, these v6s sound really great with some Flowmasters, Roush’s, or Borlas…will bring your car to life.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Flowmasters!!!!!!!!! Drone city! Annoying drone! Life changing drone! Life ending drone! Immense relief when going down the shortest hill drone! Hit all the rest stops because it's sooooo quiet in the bathroom drone! Crying when you drive 10 hours to visit family in your fancy new car and you know you have another 10 hours of pure hell driving home drone! Don't turn on the radio because it doesn't get loud enough to be heard over the drone drone! Can't hear semi's when you passing them drone!:headbonk:

Yeah - I've had Flowmasters....:frusty:

It is mostly fixable with helmholz resonators (and then they sound quite good)- look in the V6 section...

And if you're ever in NE Florida, lemme know if you want a deal on my fixed Flowmasters, an Airraid CAI, or a set of wheels and tires....

P.S. Plus a zillion on the clutch pedal extender. Hard to talk myself into spending $50 on a piece of plastic, but oh so worth it!

Sponsored

dentalguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
+1 to not getting flowmaster. Magnaflow is the best! *Flame suit on*

I'm 6'3" on my '14 gt I had to practically get into the steering wheel to comfortably press the clutch. I got a clutch extended and it changed my life.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Congrats OP! Welcome to the club. :headbang:

the I4 has only 80 ft lbs less torque then the 5.0 and weighs 300 lbs less, over the front axle.
What does that have to do wih the price of tea I China? The 5.0 V8 isn't a torque monster and despite that "close" torque number the two cars drive/feel nothing alike.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
If you don't get a clutch pedal extender you'll have a hernia because entering the car with the seat so close to the steering wheel can do internal damage to your life.

And revert what I said about getting Flowmasters (Dronemasters)...just get the Borlas. Drone can do internal damage to your hearing aids.
Sponsored