Sponsored

Engagement Ring Idea

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You guys please go ask your wife’s or gf’s opinion for me!!

I have a stone that’s a family heirloom I want to put in a simple ring. The concern is the stone is on the smaller side, I think barely 1/3 of a carrot. It is a very good quality stone however. The (self induced) concern of mine is that money is not the issue, and she knows my income. This ring would not be anything that would blow a woman’s mind.

My logic…I don’t have even the slightest clue what she likes in jewelry or diamonds/rings. My intent is that this is a starting point with the intent to shop for what she truly likes shortly after. That way she’s involved in getting exactly what she likes and wants.

Now, if you can, please remove the fact or any conversation that yes, it would make her pretty shallow to be offended or complain about the size. My question and main focus is on the plan! Is it a good idea, appropriate, romantic, smart, or otherwise, to use this small, meaningful Diamond to kick start the event and shop later? Or should I bypass that and try to pick out the best guess to begin with?
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You guys please go ask your wife’s or gf’s opinion for me!!

I have a stone that’s a family heirloom I want to put in a simple ring. The concern is the stone is on the smaller side, I think barely 1/3 of a carrot. It is a very good quality stone however. The (self induced) concern of mine is that money is not the issue, and she knows my income. This ring would not be anything that would blow a woman’s mind.

My logic…I don’t have even the slightest clue what she likes in jewelry or diamonds/rings. My intent is that this is a starting point with the intent to shop for what she truly likes shortly after. That way she’s involved in getting exactly what she likes and wants.

Now, if you can, please remove the fact or any conversation that yes, it would make her pretty shallow to be offended or complain about the size. My question and main focus is on the plan! Is it a good idea, appropriate, romantic, smart, or otherwise, to use this small, meaningful Diamond to kick start the event and shop later? Or should I bypass that and try to pick out the best guess to begin with?
My philosophy has always been the same. Go to the store together and design the ring. Then you know that she is getting exactly what she wants. Bring the stone with you. It may be able to be used in the ring as an accompaniment.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
My philosophy has always been the same. Go to the store together and design the ring. Then you know that she is getting exactly what she wants. Bring the stone with you. It may be able to be used in the ring as an accompaniment.
My wife just read this and says she agrees 100%

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope I didn’t put you on the spot for a new ring come this holiday season. :crackup:

I have already started on an enhancement for Christmas.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope I didn’t put you on the spot for a new ring come this holiday season. :crackup:

I have already started on an enhancement for Christmas.
Momma is getting a new house for an early Christmas gift. That should get me out of jewelry for long time. At least until I get caught buying more guns or a whipple for the mustang and have to buy my forgiveness :cwl:

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agrees...pop the question with the smaller ring that I have now, and then go upgrade?? Or she says go shopping (together) first? Because then that takes away the surprise.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agrees...pop the question with the smaller ring that I have now, and then go upgrade?? Or she says go shopping (together) first? Because then that takes away the surprise.
She is at a hair appointment of all things but I’ll get an answer from her in about an hour. When I was going through this, we had talked enough that she knew it was coming. We went to a few different jewelers so I had a really good idea of exactly what she wanted. I think trying to pick something out on your own works in the movies but it would be impossible to get right. For me, it’s a subject I know nothing about and the chance I ended up with something she liked would have been zero. I’ll post as soon as I get clarification from her but my first reaction to your thought of popping the question with the smaller ring is she would understandably want to tell her friends as soon as it happens and get to show off. It doesn’t really work if she’s still waiting for the actual ring. I’ll get back to you in an hour :like:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The family heirloom has much more sentimental value than dollar value. Believe me (and my wife), there’s a whole lot of other fingers and ears and wrists and necks that will also need to have diamonds lol.
Start with the heirloom. Have a look at a Steven Kretchmer design setting to place it in.
Congrats by the way!

19FAF70F-E7F3-4E37-BACB-B0DD61823B8C.jpeg

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*UPDATE* Wife says take her shopping first. At least for her, getting what she would want is more important than being completely surprised.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
The size of the ring is meaningless. It literally is the thought and emotion that counts.

When my grandmother passed, my grandfather had her 3 stone ring set into necklace settings for me and my 2 brothers. Each of us used those stones to set in a ring for each of our wives over the years.

21 years, 27 years, and 18 years of marriage for each of us.

FWIW, the girlfriend I had many moons ago that was demanding a specific engagement ring was quickly dumped.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...not the size of the stone, it's the sentiment behind it.

When wifey and I got engaged, I was POOR.
About all I could afford was a 1/3 carat diamond. She was happy with it.
Her wedding band is a nickel her father made into a ring.
For years, I was secretly ashamed of its size because she is my whole life.

Several years ago, my FIL and BIL bought new rings for my MIL and SIL. I asked
my wife; "do you want new rings?"
She says; "no, they won't mean anything to me. This is what we got married with."

Now that I have money;
...over the years I have bought her EVERY precious stone in a carat Solitaire that
I could find.
Emerald, Sapphire, Yellow Diamond, Black Diamond, Blue Diamond, Ruby and whatever.......
She is everything to me, without her I'd be dead, large ring setting or not.......

IMG_0467.JPG

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on what you decided to do?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah, as a matter of fact…I made a decision last night actually. Thanks for following up, seriously!

So since I didn’t have to buy a main stone and the savings associated with that, I decided to highly upgrade the band and get something super nice with diamonds in it. Still far from overkill, and I’m left in a situation where it could go 50/50…she may like it enough this works for a while, or if not, I’m not out $K’s, and can still go get what she truly wants if it rolls that way.

Given our situation and where we’re at, I felt the total surprise was of greater value than doing the shopping first.

So thanks a million for all your guys’ inputs. All were valuable.
Sponsored