Sponsored

Electronics and warranty

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hello,

Anyone know of the warranty ever being an issue after installing an amp? With having to tap the battery and rear speakers, I can find a reason why the dealer would try to void the warranty when an electrical issue comes up (such as with the ecu, or anything really, seeing as to how "electronic" the newer stangs are).

Thanks!
Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
ok it is plain and simple.. since you are tampered the wiring of the system. there will be consequences.

Mostly it can affect the warranty of your music system.

OP
OP
Blackbeauty

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
ok it is plain and simple.. since you are tampered the wiring of the system. there will be consequences.

Mostly it can affect the warranty of your music system.

I understand the music part will be impacted, but my question is more towards other general electrical issues. Has anyone know an instance where say, the ignition goes bad or timing is off, and the dealer comes back and says the system did it.

TSarge51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ford will not hold up the warranty if you install something aftermarket and that causes damages to a part that is covered by warranty. An amp wont really void any warranty. What it can do is cause a void of warranty on audio related systems like a sub or speakers for supplying to much power to it. Or battery draw situations, where your sub is the cause of the draw.

Last edited:

Buzzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Manual, Ruby Red, 401A, PP, Nav
Ford will not hold up the warranty if you install something aftermarket and that causes damages to a part that is covered by warranty. An amp wont really void any warranty. What it can do is cause a void of warranty on audio related systems like a sub or speakers for supplying to much power to it. Or battery draw situations, where your sub is the cause of the draw.
+1

- If you fry wiring because you pulled to much current on the supply wiring, it won't be covered.
- If you cause damage to the audio system because your amp input impedance doesn't match the audio system output impedance (very, very unlikely), it won't be covered.
- If you blow a speaker because you pushed to much power to it, it won't be covered.

Otherwise your fine.

Now, if something does happen don't be surprised if they claim its not covered. First defense is always to deny coverage. I hear the same discussions all the time on the Harley Forums. Plain and simple, they can't deny coverage on something upstream for something you changed down stream if it meets the mechanical and/or electrical requirements at the interface points.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Hello,

Anyone know of the warranty ever being an issue after installing an amp? With having to tap the battery and rear speakers, I can find a reason why the dealer would try to void the warranty when an electrical issue comes up (such as with the ecu, or anything really, seeing as to how "electronic" the newer stangs are).

Thanks!
Just as an FYI, there are two places most people "tap" the battery to run a power cable to an aftermarket amp;

1. At the battery itself by using the tightening bolt for the positive cable
  2. At the fuse box in the passengers footwell where there are three bolt terminals.
*** WARNING *** There have been several folks that have used #2 and had problems with their vehicles starting/shutting off. YMMV.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
I wouldn't want to test the theory that they will cover other electronic parts of your car with the addition of an aftermarket sub if something goes wrong. You might get lucky and find a dealer that won't try and deny you warranty coverage but if you don't, it will probably be on your dime to try and get them to cover it and prove that your electronic modification did not cause problems somewhere else in the system.

After my dealings with Ford on some warranty work, I don't have much faith in them doing the right thing.

Wayne

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
^ this

I know very little about electronix, but, as all of these systems feed into the Sync 3 computer system, for example, if you were to have a problem with anything involving other electronix in that chain, why couldn't the just punt back to you? They might not be able to make a case against your wiper control circuits, but anything certainly that interfaces with the entertainment system, especially if it looks like a costly or time consuming repair, I would not be all that sure.

That was one of the reasons that I used Ford Racing Parts and did the work at the dealer on my S197 - it had no impact on the warrantee.
Sponsored