whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I haven't seen this topic discussed

is the EB stang's block an open deck?
semi-closed like the EVO X?
closed like the MZR (Mazdaspeed 3 & 6)

just curious......

I've seen some block pics but I'm never certain it's a block actually from an EB stang
:gossip:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM

Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Just because it's open deck doesn't mean it's particularly weak. It depends on what max cylinder pressures it was designed for. This isn't a 90s naturally aspirated Honda.

OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Just because it's open deck doesn't mean it's particularly weak. It depends on what max cylinder pressures it was designed for. This isn't a 90s naturally aspirated Honda.
thank you
hmmm I don't remember comparing to the 90's

but common sense says open deck isn't built for strength.
Sure it will hold more power than stock and isn't weak
But some owners will be going a little beyond intakes, downpipes, intercoolers, and tunes

my apologies for being vague - what I meant to say is I wonder what power level will cause the open deck block to fail head gaskets or possibly crack cylinder liners

other open deck blocks I'm familiar with see weakness at over 21-22psi and 400wtq

I'm NOT saying this is the case with the EB block - I was merely asking:brokenheart:

friends???:D

KazyMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX-8 and Toyota 86
Look how thick the sleeves are stock. Holy shit buckets. I think that this is a pretty slick engine design. I am not too worried about pistons flying through the block unless there is some seriously shitty tuning.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Look how thick the sleeves are stock. Holy shit buckets. I think that this is a pretty slick engine design. I am not too worried about pistons flying through the block unless there is some seriously shitty tuning.
:lol:
well the sleeves are thick in most places but take a peek where the sleeves meet between cylinders. That thin area between cylinders is where hair line cracks occur when the head lifts due to high boost/cylinder pressures

when those hair line cracks develop, coolant gets in the cylinder. And we all know what happens to a connecting rod when you're trying to compress liquid

bend - crack - snap - boom

then you can say "HOLY SHIT BUCKETS"

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
So you don't just crank the boost up, you size the turbo for the power level you want to make, and modify appropriately. Block should handle almost anything thrown at it sensibly.

KazyMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX-8 and Toyota 86
:lol:
well the sleeves are thick in most places but take a peek where the sleeves meet between cylinders. That thin area between cylinders is where hair line cracks occur when the head lifts due to high boost/cylinder pressures

when those hair line cracks develop, coolant gets in the cylinder. And we all know what happens to a connecting rod when you're trying to compress liquid

bend - crack - snap - boom

then you can say "HOLY SHIT BUCKETS"
With the oiling the way it is, I doubt that would happen unless it is a bad tune. Just like I said :ninja:

OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
With the oiling the way it is, I doubt that would happen unless it is a bad tune. Just like I said :ninja:
I heard what you said - just know it's incorrect:ninja:

poor tuning can result in a lot of failures....duh:shrug:
as far as oiling, what in god's name does that have to do with lifting a head under high cylinder pressure?

let me reiterate that I don't think there will be issues with bolt on and tuned cars. I'm thinking down the road with built short blocks, head studs, and big turbos
geezzzz

I posted this thread to discuss, not to shout throughout the town that the sky is falling

Status
Not open for further replies.