Sponsored

Dual Clutch Auto for GT350

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I get it. I do enjoy the car as it is.. but I've driven some 911s and Caymans with their DCT and it's damn sexy and I think the technology combined with the FPC would make it feel even more exotic.
Just imagine if it was a 10spd DCT, you could downshift like 9 times coming to a red light!

The ultra quick up/down shifts are quite entertaining in high revving motors

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Just imagine if it was a 10spd DCT, you could downshift like 9 times coming to a red light!

The ultra quick up/down shifts are quite entertaining in high revving motors
Nah, with anything more than 7 speeds, the transmission becomes a purely auto only experience IMO. Can you imagine braking at the end of a long straight and downshifting 6-7 times? That's not something you want to be thinking about on track, rather it is would become an auto only transmission on track, in which case you would hope the transmission logic is smart enough i.e like Porsches PDK, though that hasn't been beaten yet for track intuition.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
F1 cars have 8, so I will be happy with 8. Imagine banging off 3 shifts to get to 25mph
lmao go to a drag strip and you got 2 shifts knocked off before you hit your 60 foot :lol:

F1 cars gears are spaced out a lot farther than a road cars though, because they reach much higher speeds and can accelerate much faster, obviously :p A 10 speed in a GT350 means you'd be shifting on average ever 20-21mph assuming the car could reach 186 mph (300kph)... that is way too much lol

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
just a rumor..not serious

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I thought extra gears on non-race cars were for economy not performance and DCTs are for faster Auto shifting transmissions.

On a track isn't there a case for too many gears?

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Nice first post. Welcome to M6G :thumbsup:
Would you be so kind to actually provide the link R&T referenced here? I'm starting to think my tinfoil hat is preventing me from finding it. :shrug:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I thought extra gears on non-race cars were for economy not performance and DCTs are for faster Auto shifting transmissions.

On a track isn't there a case for too many gears?
Yes sir you got it. Porsche had actually stated that the gearing in their PDK is actually longer than you would typically find in a DCT gearbox (relative to the cars power level) as they tested and found that the longer gearing resulted in faster acceleration. Even with a very fast shifting auto or DCT, every time the gears change, you lose time. Does the difference by adding gears improve acceleration enough to compensate for that? Who knows, but Porsche has said it actually works against it.

Definitely can be too many gears on track IMO. You want a very fast shifting gearbox, with 6-7 speeds tops. If it were advantageous to have more gears, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren etc would have them in their cars. 7 speed DCT seems to be optimal for 6 drive gears with a single overdrive for fuel economy.

GM and Ford can wax all they want about how "fast" this new A10 is, but the reality is the last 3-4 gears are almost certainly overdrive for better fuel economy. And while they claim them to be "faster" than a PDK, it was a measurement taken from a single upshift during a 2-3 gear change. The autos paddle response is still far slower than a proper DCT in which the transmission changes gear instantly the monent you touch the paddles.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster