DRL wiring

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi I have just fitted a set of [MENTION=9987]Diode Dynamics[/MENTION] Switch back led DRL bulb to my 2017 GT but since our DRL's were in the fog lights I guess the wiring is different so i am looking for which pins i would need to connect to on the indicator to make the switch back work.

Or do I need to get a hold of the US spec bulb holder and wire into that...

I have tried using the Forscan that I have and changing the settings to the side light but with no joy.

Im also going to be installing a set of Diode Dynamics head light tri bars so was going to run the wires up to the head light at the same time to supply power to them.

Anyone able to help me out with a wiring diagram of the front end or a how to would be ace.

Thanks
Sponsored

DonKarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Ecoboost Fastback
Unfortunately our Euro model doesn't have the 3rd wire to enable the white LEDs on the 7443 bulbs. If you look at the connector leading to the bulb holder you can see where the wire/pin would be - it's plugged with a piece of plastic!

It should be possible to drill out the plug to add the wire but then you're still going to have to replace the 7440 bulb holder with a 7443. Then you still need to get the power from somewhere. Not worth the effort imo.

The way I did mine in the end was by making a small adapter using a couple of 7443 plugs and sockets, then shaving the new socket/bulb holder slightly to fit the housing.

Also be careful if removing the bulbs from their socket. The pins bend back easily. I accidentally snapped one of mine but thankfully it wasn't enough to stop a connection.

Edit:
Thankfully I took a photo of my adapter before adding connectors, wrapping it up and putting it in. See attached. No need to cut any existing wiring. You can just about see the trimming I had to do on the bulb holder. The rubber seal (not pictured) keeps it in tight.

Left oranges, indicator: 1 for the DD tribar controller, 1 for load resistor
Left black, negative: for load resistor
Right red/yellow: drl (white LEDs) power

I get my switched power for both the switchbacks and DRLs by tapping fuse 72.
PSX_20180104_150845.jpg

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=28291]wuzie123[/MENTION] if i'm not mistaken, you can just splice into the power line of the DRL and the sidelight (for switchbacks) and if they're wired into a constant live, they'll work as a "DRL" as well as basically being always on, and being on whilst you have sidelight selected.

Always live is the purple line on the fusebox.
Sidelight live is the white
DRL live is the white mix IIRC

OP
OP
wuzie123

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Think i will try and get a hold of a set of USA spec bulb holders and the connector with some wire to splice into. got some mates out in US so wont be to hard i just want a nice clean look to the install so ford wont know it has been done. if not i will try your guys suggestions.

Im going to be moving my DRL out of the fog light and up to the switch back so should be able to just run the wires in from there... and then tap off up to the Tri bars

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Think i will try and get a hold of a set of USA spec bulb holders and the connector with some wire to splice into. got some mates out in US so wont be to hard i just want a nice clean look to the install so ford wont know it has been done. if not i will try your guys suggestions.

Im going to be moving my DRL out of the fog light and up to the switch back so should be able to just run the wires in from there... and then tap off up to the Tri bars
Just pull the live feed out the drl, and wang it into the new DRLs ;).

Ford wouldn't know if you replaced your engine with a LS :lol::lol:

Sponsored

OP
OP
wuzie123

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just pull the live feed out the drl, and wang it into the new DRLs ;).

Ford wouldn't know if you replaced your engine with a LS :lol::lol:
true!!! just not my style... want a "hidden" install:ninja:....

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Can you not just connect them to the DRL connector? It's the same as the side light connector I believe, I've replaced my fog/drl with Coplus Bilight 2 which look awesome...the wire should be long enough to plug into your new DRL connector, however if you want to keep your original DRLs as well as the headlight ones then you'll need to splice into the wires, the cable under the fog light housing is the DRL connector.

New lights showing the white connector for the fog and black for DRL

Shown lit up

On vehicle, camera is crap so looks better in reality.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
Just realised my phone just sent the post I did this earlier when no-one had posted haha

OP
OP
wuzie123

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
its the Diode Dynamics switch back kit which changes the indicator bulb to white when not in use... so would nee the US wiring, i am going to run our stock wires up to the side light unit and wire them in i just want to keep the stock connector and look as i know it can be done cuz they have it in the US lol

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
its the Diode Dynamics switch back kit which changes the indicator bulb to white when not in use... so would nee the US wiring, i am going to run our stock wires up to the side light unit and wire them in i just want to keep the stock connector and look as i know it can be done cuz they have it in the US lol
Send em back, get a proper EU switchback kit ;)! :lol:

OP
OP
wuzie123

wuzie123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT