DIY: My Battery Tender Hookup

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Ok, I have seen several posts here on how to hookup a battery tender on our mustangs, however, none of them fit my requirements exactly. I wanted something where I could easily attach the unit at any time without having to open the hood. I don't drive my mustang very much during the winter months but I do take it out if the roads are nice so I wanted it to be quick and easy to connect/disconnect. I also wanted an option where I did not have to worry about tripping over electrical cords running on ground. Here is what I did:

I first hooked up the positive for my pig tail to the fuse box terminal like others have done. (See picture #1)

I then hooked up the negative to same bolt that already has a ground on the strut tower. (See picture #2)

I then ran the pig tail cord under the formed bubble on the battery cover and came out by the passenger side wiper. The pig tail that came with my battery tender was a little too short so I had to solder in a length of wire to make it reach. If you have to do this, make sure to use heat shrink at the connection. (See picture #3)

I then bought myself a short 4 foot extension cord from Amazon and plugged it into the electrical box in my garage ceiling where my garage door opener plugs in. I didn't want to have the extension cord get in the way when not in use so I rigged myself up a way to hang up the plug end of the electrical cord to my garage door opener so it doesn't get into the way. Now when I want to hook up my tender, I plug one end into the pigtail by the wiper and then plug the unit into the extension cord. (See pictures #4 and 5) I can have it hooked up in less then a minute and the best thing about it that there are no cords to trip over when it is in use. Hope someone else can find this method useful. :)
FuseBoxModified.jpg
NegativeWireModified.jpg
WireRoutingModified.jpg
ConnectorNotConnected.JPG
ConnectorConnected.JPG
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
nice write up. i run my around the fender side of the fuse box to the front bumper where it, the fender and headlight are. there is room to run it out with the hood closed where i plug into the wall. my wall outlet is at the front of the car. i was able to quick disconnect and go for a spin this past week when it hit 40.