Sponsored

Did Koons ever go below $29,177 for a base w/ PP this year?

Tom.snyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 GTPP Premium
Hey Guys,

I'm one of the managers at the Baltimore Ford location. I'm always hovering/checking 6G in my free time :)... Excuse my grammar and spelling (I'm only a car salesmen hahaha!)

Destination (aka as freight) is not included in any of our "Wow Prices"... Depending on what state you are advertising in, it is illegal to advertise a price that is plus a "destination/freight charge" unless your state is one that don't prohibit it... However, in Maryland and VA it's not illegal and it's been the norm for many many years... We get a lot of attention because of how aggressive we are with our discounts... You'll never hear about the dealership that takes $1,650 off of MSRP and adds freight back to the E-Price and the $750 rebate which is already included (if your following the math on that deal, it's an MSRP deal)...

The way we sell our new vehicles is foreign to a lot of dealers/customers but we truly do sell vehicles thousands behind invoice/x-plan/net cost (I'll give an actual example below)... The point for us is to drive volume for market share so we can gain additional allocation for specialty vehicles (Shelby's, Raptors, Limited Edition Mustangs/F-150's) and overall more inventory in general... Also, the more we sell/surpass FMC's objectives for us, they give us a flat amount back per vehicle (used to be more but they are switching programs) every month... Also, when you sell as many as we do, keep the customers happy by being up front about things like freight/only advertise with public rebates, and looking for every additional private offer/selective rebate that can lower the price for customers, you get high fives (metaphorically speaking lol) from Ford like Presidents Award, Premiere Club, Ford One Hundred Club, and the big one "Triple Crown"! If you win that last one which less than 25 dealers won that last year, you get perks like being one of the few dealerships that Ford will give a Ford GT :D!!!

I haven't been selling vehicles too long in relation to a lot of "Vets" out there (I've been here/in the business for 6 years) but every dealer in the state of Maryland advertises with a disclosure that at least somewhat mirrors the Following structure "Cute Marketing/Internet Price Name" Price includes available public rebates which some may be in lieu of or not compatible with special financing (0% financing or maybe the manufacturer will not give you the max rebate if you pay cash)... All "Cute Marketing/Internet Price Name" is plus your Taxes, DMV Fees, Dealer Processing (aka Doc Fee) and a destination/delivery charge... <<< Something along those lines is the common disclosure among reputable dealers...

With that being said, in the last few years a bunch of dealers (ones that don't care about customer service surveys and their online reputation through review sites) have started to advertise with that same structure but are also including restrictive rebates such as Private offers (like the ones you get when you sign up for brochures), Military rebates, College student/Recent Graduate rebates, competitive lease owner, etc... By the time you come to terms with the fact that a destination and Doc fee are added to the price, you show up at the dealer and then they say the following "OMG! You're not in or retired from the military or just graduated from college (That's always the one I laugh at the most - How many college kids are looking at 40k GT Premiums or Lariat F-150's)? Since you don't qualify for College/Military I gotta raise the price another $500-1000"... <<< That kind of bait and switch really bothers me because I always find myself talking customers off the ledge and explaining to them it's not a Ford, it's dealership doing that to get people in the door and that's not the case at every dealership, especially not mine... On Top of that, as many times as I have the "Don't Jump off the Ford Ledge" conversation, I wonder how many times I don't get the opportunity to have it because that customer either A.) Bought from the dishonest dealer and won't ever come back to Ford or B.) Left and bought a Toyota/Chevy because they thought that's what they will get at every Ford dealer... Sorry to ramble... For your enjoyment, here is what a deal looks like on a daily basis for a regular GT/Ecoboost/V6 Mustang and every other Ford that we sell besides Shelby's and FP products (which I'm not going to lie, if customers are paying ADM's, I will happily advertise with one without shame because of how we sell every other car)...

Now for the example of a wow price break down (At The Baltimore Store), I'll do it twice... One with cliff notes, one with just numbers so you can see how it all breaks down and you would be happy to pay a wow price that's plus a freight charge, instead of getting that awesome X-Plan deal that doesn't included freight or a Documentation Fee over $100...

GT Premium 401a w/Additional Factory Options (nothing aftermaket)

VIN # - 1FA6P8C##G#######

44,055 - MSRP
41,853.82 - X-Plan
41,194.20 - Invoice
-$1,296 - Dealer Hold Back
39,898.20 - True Net/Net Cost on vehicle in question

36,995 - Wow Price + Freight Taxes DMV Fees Doc Fee - Wow Price includes $750 Public Rebate from Ford
+ 900 - Freight
+ 300 - Doc Fee
= 38,195 - Wow Price including freight and Doc Fee (Technically not what I'm selling the vehicle for because the rebate from Ford is still there
+ 750 - Rebate that you get but I'm adding it back so you can see what we sell the vehicle for truly and to figure out your taxable sale price...
= 38,945 - True taxable price of vehicle the vehicle you're buying that after you add for taxes (depending on what state you register in, taxes and structure for taxes will vary) you get to take off what ever rebate you qualify for (Public/College/Military/Private Brochure offer)...

36,995 - Wow Price
+ 900 - Freight
+ 300 - Doc Fee
+ 750 - Rebate to be added for taxes
= 38,945 - Taxable Sale Price/Wow Price with no added Fees
= 41,853.82 - X-Plan - Wow Price is over $2,900 better on this vehicle
+ 2,336.70 - Taxes for Maryland @ 6 w/no Trade @ Wow Price
= 41,281.70 - Total
+ 336 - Average DMV Fees For Maryland Resident Who Finances
- 750 - Public Rebate
= 40,867.70 - Total Out The Door/On The Road/Best Damn Deal Ever!:first:

Take Private offer that was generated by requesting brochures, Military Rebates, or College Rebates of that number!

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
I'll never be able to figure out if Koons or something closer to home ends up being cheaper.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'll never be able to figure out if Koons or something closer to home ends up being cheaper.
Koons Ford Baltimore will be cheaper on anything, but a GT350 at the moment. They just sold the rest of their 16 allocations. Not sure what Tom is doing for the 17 allocations. They are selling the Focus RS at MSRP and Raptor is TBD. I just picked up a 16 Fiesta ST as a daily from them at a price nobody else could touch.

I cleaned up Tom's how to figure out the Wow Price example if you didn't have a trade. In some states like Maryland the trade would come off your tax liability, but not every state does that.

$36,995 - Wow Price
+ $900 - Freight
+ $300 - Doc Fee
+ $750 - Rebate to be added for taxes
= $38,945 - Taxable Sale Price/Wow Price with no added Fees
+ $2,336.70 - Taxes for Maryland 6%
= $41,281.70 - Total After Tax
The following are items added/subtracted after tax
+ 336 - Average DMV Fees For Maryland Resident Who Finances
- 750 - Public Rebate
= $40,867.70 - On the road total (other discounts like Military, Private Coupon, etc would come off this number)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
What I plan to do is wait to see what Koons' lowest price is while there is still a nice selection of 16's in stock before the 17's are stocked (specifically while the Magnetic GT's w/ PP are around). Then I'll share what that OTD price was with my local deal (that I test drove with). If he can beat it, that'll work. If not, Koons will get my business.

Just have to figure out which Koons at that point as they seem to have different fees/prices...possibly depending on the state. Although 3 different Koons dealers quoted me 3 different prices/fee schedules...4 if you count Tom. So might have to shop around on that level within Koons as well.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Tom.snyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 GTPP Premium
What I plan to do is wait to see what Koons' lowest price is while there is still a nice selection of 16's in stock before the 17's are stocked (specifically while the Magnetic GT's w/ PP are around). Then I'll share what that OTD price was with my local deal (that I test drove with). If he can beat it, that'll work. If not, Koons will get my business.

Just have to figure out which Koons at that point as they seem to have different fees/prices...possibly depending on the state. Although 3 different Koons dealers quoted me 3 different prices/fee schedules...4 if you count Tom. So might have to shop around on that level within Koons as well.

-Emt1581
Yes. We all operate under the Koons Umbrella but we price our vehicle according to our local market. We just happen to B'more (Maryland people will get the B'More reference lol) aggressive with discounts to bring people in to our area. With that being said, DMV Fees are different in every state and often times in different counties and cities they will be different and that's why you're OTD prices can vary state by state.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. We all operate under the Koons Umbrella but we price our vehicle according to our local market. We just happen to B'more (Maryland people will get the B'More reference lol) aggressive with discounts to bring people in to our area. With that being said, DMV Fees are different in every state and often times in different counties and cities they will be different and that's why you're OTD prices can vary state by state.
That's what I figured.

Really doesn't matter to me which Koons I go with (if the local dealer can't beat the price). We'd plan it out to be a long weekend/vacation and just stay with my wife's family down in VA either way so long as we're down in that area.

All that matters to me is who has the lowest OTD price.

Thanks for chiming in. Koons seems to be the standard to what everyone compares to in regard to pricing in the east. Nice to have an actual rep sharing data.

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is it possible to get a GT out the door with fees for under $30k?
Maybe Tom can chime in, but depending on your state's taxes and any rebates you might qualify for, I would say it's definitely possible that a base GT can be had for under $30k otd.

-Emt1581

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I got my 2017 Gt
M6
300a
Cloth recaros
White platinum metallic tri-coat
For 32,500 OTD

Mrsp 35,385. This was without x plan or any 750 off mailed rebates etc.

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
That's pretty good for a 17! I've only seen one for sale on the web so far and they don't have a price listed.

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 black GT, perf. package
I bought my 16 base gt from koons Baltimore, only option is the performance package, WOW price was 29,300, even with the other fees on top I was still over 2k cheaper otd than dealers in north Nj. I took the Acela down from Newark, they picked me up and I was on the road home about 45 minutes later, very good experience overall and when I trade this one in down the road I'll probably go with koons again.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
That's pretty good for a 17! I've only seen one for sale on the web so far and they don't have a price listed.
Its great in general for my personal special order on a non clearanced gt. Getting it otd for less then 120 over invoice is great. But thats my opinion :D

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
So what did you pay when all was said and done

I bought my 16 base gt from koons Baltimore, only option is the performance package, WOW price was 29,300, even with the other fees on top I was still over 2k cheaper otd than dealers in north Nj. I took the Acela down from Newark, they picked me up and I was on the road home about 45 minutes later, very good experience overall and when I trade this one in down the road I'll probably go with koons again.