Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
837DB1EE-3730-4D00-A74C-2DBD84BEDE1A.jpeg
I just installed a Blowfish shifter bracket, although I wasn’t having any shifting issues with my driving style, ( occasionally shifting near redline).
I got a good deal on it so thought what the hey. After installation I found NVH is substantially more than I was expecting, significant rattling of the shifter under load 3000-5000 RPM. With no load, no rattle.
A friend who has one tells me I’ll get used to it. I’ll give it a couple of weeks to decide whether or not to take it out. For those with this bracket, is this much NVH normal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blufc3s

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Blufc3s

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, the lightbulb came on!
Thanks for the suggestion. I assume the extra weight will stop the lockout from rattling,

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
837DB1EE-3730-4D00-A74C-2DBD84BEDE1A.jpeg
I just installed a Blowfish shifter bracket, although I wasn’t having any shifting issues with my driving style, ( occasionally shifting near redline).
I got a good deal on it so thought what the hey. After installation I found NVH is substantially more than I was expecting, significant rattling of the shifter under load 3000-5000 RPM. With no load, no rattle.
A friend who has one tells me I’ll get used to it. I’ll give it a couple of weeks to decide whether or not to take it out. For those with this bracket, is this much NVH normal?
Did you make sure the top of the upper bracket isn't contacting the bottom of the shifter, and that the rubber shifter seal isn't getting compressed?

I braced my shifter with a roll of masking tape and two pieces of wood before I removed the factory bracket so that the installed height of the shifter wouldn't change. I do have some increased vibration in the shifter, but it's not enough to be unpleasant or noisy.

It definitely solved my 2-3 high rpm mis-shifts.

OP
OP
Blufc3s

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you make sure the top of the upper bracket isn't contacting the bottom of the shifter, and that the rubber shifter seal isn't getting compressed?

I braced my shifter with a roll of masking tape and two pieces of wood before I removed the factory bracket so that the installed height of the shifter wouldn't change. I do have some increased vibration in the shifter, but it's not enough to be unpleasant or noisy.

It definitely solved my 2-3 high rpm mis-shifts.
My shifter is maybe 1/8”-3/16” higher than it was originally. I don’t understand how the upper bracket could touch the shifter looking at this YouTube video link at approximately 3:42.it looks to me as the bracket moves up the shifter would have to move up in accordance. I may jack it up and have a look. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
It's something blowfish says to check for, and i think it's because the upper bracket can tilt so that the front edge could contact the shifter.

OP
OP
Blufc3s

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I’ll check it out. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Blufc3s

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the weight and the fact that aluminum dampens sound like that a lot better. I believe they come with o-rings to isolate rattling.
I just reinstalled the bracket after changing out the reverse lockout to a Barton aluminium one and the irritating rattle is gone!
Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored