Sponsored

Dealing with poor service at my local Ford Dealership

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
IMPORTANt EDIT AS OF 04/23/19: I am leaving the original text below that I posted a few months ago, just so that you have an idea of how ridiculous the whole situation is currently. As a pre-cursor to the paragraph below, Jim Vreeland Ford are just as much a bunch of lying charlatans as Perry Ford. My most recent post after this one explains why.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is basically a "copy-paste" of one of my comments from the "GT tick" thread. I know that it doesn't apply to everyone, but figured that I'm sure there are some people in my area that probably use this forum too. This isn't the entire story with what I've gone through while dealing with Perry Ford, but just an update on the latest occurrence that happened this past Monday.

"So an update on my end:
Before anything, if you are near Santa Barbara County, CA, DO NOT GO TO PERRY FORD!!!! Don't waste your time there, as they definitely aren't worth it. Been getting the constant run-around from the sales aspect while purchasing a car, as well as the following service/support, despite having a 2 year old GT, that I purchased new, with less than 15K miles, and still entirely covered by my warranty".

Here are the details. As previously stated, I've had the "tick" for quite a while. It seems like this tick is different for many owners. Some have an intermittent tick that isn't constant, that disappears after driving your car a few hundred miles, it heats up, etc... Not the case with my car. My car developed the tick at around 5K miles, and has just gotten worse. It is almost constant between 1,5-2K RPM, and I can EASILY hear it over my loud exhaust (Corsa extreme catback). I've brought it several times to Perry to have them look at it. The only thing they ever did was choose to swap my intake manifold, which I was puzzled by, as I knew it was in no way shape or form an issue with that part. One of the service reps also told me that it sounds like its coming from a loose camshaft, and will most likely need to swap my engine. Obviously, this was unsettling, and not something you want to hear with your two year old car. Keep in mind that my car is only 2 years old, with less than 15K miles on it, and is still covered by my warranty.

Well, I made an appointment with them this past Monday, as the issue seemed to be getting worse, as well as I had a new issue appear too (a clunk sound while letting off the gas/reapplying gas, as well as releasing the clutch, and NO its not the DS, as I know what that sounds like, and it's not this). Rolled up to the service area, told them the issues I was having, AGAIN. First of all, I told them that you could hear the issue WHILE IN GEAR/DRIVING! I told my service rep that I would gladly take him for a ride around the block to show him what I'm talking about. I also showed him a video that I took where the clunk sound as well as ticking is CLEARLY audible. What does he do? He tells me to start the car up and rev it. I told him that the issue I was having was while I'm driving. So of course, the tick is mild, and obviously you won't hear the clunk. Then he has the balls to say "well, seeing as you can't replicate the issue, I'm probably going to have to keep your car for 3 weeks to take a look at it". 3 weeks!!! Just to take a look! Not even including repairs! I told him that wouldn't work as I'm going out of country next week for about 3 weeks. He then said: "Great, because I don't need you bugging me by calling all the time (in a non-joking manner)". The only times I call are when A) they tell me that my car will be ready by X time, and I haven't heard from them by X time, so I want an update before they close shop on that day. or B) they say to leave the car for a few days, and I finally decide to call after not hearing a peep from them with some sort of update (even a "we're still looking" would be fine) for 3+ days. Needless to say, I didn't want to just leave my car sitting there for 3 weeks, ESPECIALLY when they won't be able to reach me via phone.

So, today I decided to drive to the next nearest Ford dealership, over an hour away. The dealership is Vreeland Ford in Buellton, CA. Let me just preface by saying that my mind was blown by the contrast of the quality of service offered by this dealership over Perry Ford of Santa Barbara. First of all, I made an appointment online. They called me to tell me that they were actually booked on that day. I told them that I was just wondering if I could bring it in for a diagnosis, gave her the issues I was having, and I could always bring it back to service it if need be. The lady on the phone said that was fine. So I rolled up today at the specified time, and started speaking with the service rep. He told me that Mike would jump in the car with me so that he could see the problem. I met Mike, and turned out that he wasn't a tech, he was the service manager. That alone amazed me. I never even met the service manager ONCE at Perry, despite having reoccurring issues with the car, and not being too pleased with the service I was having (also forgot to mention that they scratched my PP rims while changing tires..... and never did ANYTHING to fix it). So, Mike told me that he had a 15GT that also had the ticking sound. He told me that the problem with his (after spending quite a bit of time looking for it) was actually the tubes connected to the oil pump that would rattle and hit something, causing the tick sound. So, Mike and I drove off. Immediately after hearing the sound, he said that "tick" sound coming from my car was different than what he was expected, even said "that's annoying". He then told me to pull off into a residential street where there were many hedges along the road, so that the sound could reverberate off of them. To my surprise, he actually GOT OUT OF THE CAR, and stood there in the middle of the road, as he instructed me to drive up and down the road, while trying to replicate both sounds. I did this for about 5 mins. He immediately told me that yea, something was definitely wrong, and he could hear the "Clunk" while I turned around a few hundred feet away from him. So we get back to the dealership, and he then tells me that sometimes a "clunk" can happen because the wheels are loose. I thought that I doubt they are, but he decided to try tightening them himself, which he then proceeded to do, and we both saw that none of the wheels were lose. He told me to leave the car with him for about an hour, as he was going to put it on the lift, check the drivetrain, and check Oasis (which I'm assuming is some sort of Ford/Dealershup software, but I don't know). Keep in mind, this isn't just a service tech, but the SERVICE MANAGER!

I came back a little over an hour later, and my car was sitting there ready to go. Mike himself came to speak with me again. He told me that he couldn't find the issue, but that there was definitely an issue present, and that he wants to get my car in for repairs. He even said that he took out a GT350 they had, as apparently (and this is news to me, and didn't get what exactly the issue was), there is a certain sound that the GT350s make that sounds similar to what I was experiencing, so he wanted to see if it sounded similar to that (which it did not according to him). He then asked me if I ever had a CEL on with this car, which I told him I never have (and this is the truth). He said that he looked at my car's service records, and that Perry had apparently swapped the intake manifold because they put into the system that there was a CEL, which wasn't the case. Apparently (again, new to me), they do so in order to make themselves more money.... I then asked him what the next step would be. He said to make an appointment when I get back and they'll take it from there. I asked about how much time would it take to figure out what was wrong, he said a few days to get into everything, and to see in which direction to proceed. I told him that Perry said they would need my car fro 3 weeks. He then laughed and said that he doesn't want my car on his lot for three weeks, probably due to liability.

So, basically, during the short time I was at Vreeland Ford (compared to the hours spent dealing with Perry Ford), I met the service manager, he listened to my concerns, took the time to experience those concerns first hand by driving with me (without me even asking to do so), took a look at the car despite being booked with other appointments, acknowledged that there were clearly two separate, non-normal issues going on, told me an appropriate time frame for the work that would need to be done, and what the next step should be. I have NEVER received any of that kind of service or attention from Perry. I have been given the runaround countless times (both while purchasing and servicing my cars), disrespected, kept in the dark, and obviously ( and news to me) was lied to for their own monetary gains. The service rep from Vreeland Ford told me before leaving: "Make sure to keep us in mind for any future business, even though I know it's a drive for you to get here". I told them I will gladly use them; despite the drive; as I am much more willing to give my service to a company/dealership that actually deserves it. Granted, Vreeland didn't fix the issue yet (didn't expect them to do so today), but at least they are taking all of my concerns seriously, and giving me a plan of attack.

So there you have it (minus a few things that were said that just support my displeasure with Perry, such as them not wanting to swap my engine out simply because they run the risk of eating the cost if Ford finds out there is nothing wrong). A little bit of a rant, but figured I should pass on the word of warning, especially for those located on the Central coast/Southern CA. I will definitely post an update once I get my car in for servicing at Vreeland Ford, but I am already impressed by their want/need to go above and beyond with their services. So, thanks again for taking the time today guys! Especially Mike!! I certainly appreciate it, and it feels nice to actually feel valued as a customer. :like:"

There you have it. I do hope that Perry sees this, and changes their freaking ways. Santa Barbara and it's surround cities is such a small city, that word of mouth is everything. Unfortunately, we don't have too many options in terms of dealerships, so they can get away with their shitty attitude/service. I'd much rather drive an 1+ hour to receive the service that I actually deserve as a paying customer, and that I expect from Ford. I'm just waiting for the whole thing to be done, but will most likely be sending (another) letter to Ford regarding the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I realized that I never wrote an update for those that may be interested. This is essentially an excerpt from a letter (still working on) that I will be sending to Ford HQ. Never thought that I would do so, but I am planning on going through with their buy-back plan, as my car has spent substantial time at different Ford dealerships in order to address the same issue. If you read all of the wall of text prior to this one, know that VREELAND FORD OF BUELLTON WERE CHARLATANS AS WELL! I go into detail below. Fortunately, Ford of Ventura actually took my claims seriously, and found that my "ticking" 5.0 engine was in fact damaged (some details below). I loved my car, but now it is nothing more than a headache. I was thinking about purchasing the GT350 instead, but then read of all of the engine issues with the 5.2L, as well as the ongoing panel gap issues. I do NOT want to be stuck with yet another car that I can't truly enjoy. I was really waiting for the GT500, but the auto-only and what I can only imagine will be atrocious ADMs have made me lose interest for the time being. Instead I'll be purchasing a ZL1 1LE, which will be my first "muscle car" that is not a Mustang. Hard to imagine that I'll be driving a Camaro, but there's no denying the truly amazing performance that the ZL1 1LE delivers at what will most likely be a fraction of the price of the GT500.
Anyways, here is the rest of the ordeal if anyone is interested in knowing what happened after my last post.

"I proceeded to take my car in for my repairs at Vreeland Ford on November XX, 2018. I was once gain told that they would get to the bottom of the issue. During the end of the following week, I received a call from Vreeland Ford saying that my car was ready to be picked up. I was surprised by how fast that was, and asked them if they had fixed the problem. The service tech on the phone told me that they hadn’t been able to find the issue behind the engine “tick”. I was shocked, and asked him what had been done in order to find the issue. He told me that the oil filter was looked at for pieces of metal, as well as the fact that my engine had been thoroughly looked at. Discouraged, I then proceeded to find a driver to take me to Vreeland Ford in order to pick my car up. Upon doing so, the service tech seemed rushed, and didn’t really want to go over the details of what had been done. Furthermore, I saw the service manager walking around the lot. I waved at him, and he actually turned around and headed the opposite way. Due to all of this weird behavior, I had a bad feeling. This feeling was later confirmed by the footage that was found on my dashcam, which was on during it’s time at the dealership. With this footage I was able to see two things: 1) My car was looked at for no more than approximately two hours, which also included the time required to conduct the basic service/oil change I had also taken my car in for. 2) Aside from being taken into the bay for those two hours, my car then sat parked in the same spot for approximately a week, with the last footage on the camera showing it being driven to me while I was there to pick it up. This video proof made me realize that I had once again been lied to by a Ford Dealership, as it was clear (thanks to the recorded video footage) that Vreeland Ford had not even bothered with trying to take a look at my car in order to find the source of the engine problem. Once again, a Ford Dealership failed to even attempt to repair the issue, despite my car being covered by the factory Ford Warranty.

Ford of Ventura, Ventura, California

At this point, I was pretty discouraged by the service (or lack-there-of) received by Ford. I decided to give a third dealership a go, with Ford of Ventura being the next one closest to my location (still an inconvenient 35 miles away). Since my last visit with Vreeland Ford, the ticking noise had gotten substantially louder, and was clearly audible during any mode of operation, despite having a rather loud exhaust installed on my car.

I brought my car into Ford of Ventura on January XXX, 2019 at 1XXXX miles on the odometer. I spoke with the service tech who informed me that the service foreman would go for a ride-along with me in my car in order to listen to the “tick". Almost instantly (without even having to leave the dealership’s lot) the service foreman confirmed that my car had a serious “tick” coming from the engine. We returned to the service tech where the service foreman told him that it was clear that my car had an issue with the engine. I was then instructed to leave my car with Ford of Ventura in order to figure out the issue and hopefully fix it. My car remained at Ford of Ventura for approximately six weeks, until it was ready for pick up on February XXX, 2019. During the time it was at the dealership, Ford of Ventura actually did take the time to dismantle my engine. It was then that the mechanic responsible for the engine repairs discovered metal flakes on top of the cylinder head, as well as scoring on the camshaft and cylinder head, and pitting on the camshaft lobes. The service mechanic then proceeded to (as instructed by Ford) replace the cylinder head, camshaft, lifters, sprockets, water pump, etc…

During the time of pick-up, I was told by the service tech to call him if the issue came back. I was also told to “break-in” the car with the new parts for at least 500 miles. Upon my initial drive home (30 miles), I was amazed that the tick had seemed to have disappeared. Unfortunately, this only lasted for approximately two days. The tick returned two days later, after only light driving that amounted to less than 50 miles since pick-up. It started lightly at first, and has grown exponentially worse since then, yet again. Furthermore, it now seems as if the engine is “bogging” at random times throughout the RPMS.

At the time of writing this letter today, the car currently has 1XXXX miles on the odometer, and the ticking issue is still very present. At this point, my car has spent well over 2-3 months at Ford in order to receive repairs for the same issue since I purchased it.

I have also spent quite a considerable amount of money in customizing my car with exterior modifications, as well as the suspension, of which the total amounts to $XX,XXX in parts, WITHOUT including the cost of installation (receipts with expenses are available). I never touched the engine (or the rest of the drivetrain) from fear of voiding my warranty that I knew would be required in order to fix this ongoing engine issue. I have had issues with this car from the beginning of ownership, despite taking meticulous care of it, as well as bringing it in for the required service always well in advance of the recommended “next-service” mileage. Other less worrying issues that I have had with the car include: the audio system not working at all (resolved by Ford of Ventura), a loud audible clunk from drivetrain (resolved by Ford of Ventura), loud squealing from relatively new brakes (unresolved), emergency break not fully releasing despite pushing it fully down (unresolved). "

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Bill. I'm sure that there are plenty more headaches to be had. Honestly, the whole thing makes me sick. I absolutely loved my car, but this whole thing has unfortunately made me fall "out of love" with it; which I never thought would be a possibility. Honestly, still feels weird wanting to buy a Camaro, but I'm not ready for another 5.0, as knowing my luck I will be stuck with yet another one with an engine problem.

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, thanks, I definitely need it (for other reasons too)! And I completely understand. I DEFINITELY will not be making any purchases at Perry, much less relying on them for any kind of service. The funny thing is, Chevy is right across from them, and although their service isn't necessarily stellar, it's definitely miles ahead, all while being right in front of Perry Ford. You would think that would be a good incentive for Perry Ford to up their game a little, but obviously not. And that is great that you found one that is willing to help! It seems that Ventura Ford is actually taking me seriously, so I might just use them as my primary Ford dealer if and when I make future purchases, despite the 1 hour drive "inconvenience".
Sponsored