Sponsored

Dealer Mismatched Tires on Summer to Winter swap

17MustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Grabber Blue
Title says it all but I just got back from my wedding had an extra day off brought the car to do the tire swap for winter, picked the car up and noticed it felt slightly floaty on an acceleration checked tire pressure via inboard gauge and noticed filled a bit high 38 lb, (same thing happened last year with respect to air lb and when I brought in line with normal 32 to 34 it felt fine). I only live 10 miles away so I drove home parked in the garage and unpacked, went out a moment or two ago and went to drop pressure and noticed that the dealer placed my 275 40s on the rear of one side and then placed a 255 R40 on the other rear side....What should I expect for damage or well i dont know I have never had this happen and never done it myself soooo....Thank you for any info and I will update this accordingly.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
First off, congrats on the wedding.

Doubtful there’s any damage but I would take it back and have them fix it. That’s a silly mistake that doesn’t help ones confidence in dealership work.

OP
OP

17MustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, congrats on the wedding.

Doubtful there’s any damage but I would take it back and have them fix it. That’s a silly mistake that doesn’t help ones confidence in dealership work.

I spoke with the dealer this morning and the service rep was very disappointed with the news and obviously asked when twas the soonest I could get to him. I suppose my main concerns were to the LSD in the rear end or maybe something with the brakes I always assumed the Wheels themselves have a different offset to work with the staggered tires, and well obviously rubbing of suspension parts and such on the tires. I have never owned a staggered tired vehicle so I did not know what to expect with this kind of mistake but I figured someone on here may possibly know what I should expect from this mishap.

bucray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2000 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I took a flat in for repair. It was a unidirectional tire, and they remounted it backwards. when I told the dealer, they said since the I had brought the wheel in, that I probably put it on backwards. Anyone with a lick of sense can see the wheel only can go on one way.
I took the wheel to a local shop and had the tire mounted properly, and no longer have service done at the dealer!!!

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Mechanically, it didn't hurt that car at all. You get more differential action just making turns.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
You won't have any mechanical damage. Just think of it as driving on a mini spare.

OP
OP

17MustangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good everyone, thank you all so much for easing my nerves on this! I know in my Jeep TJ with my Detroit locker in the back if I didn't keep up on tire pressure and rotating the tires it would become quite angry in turns and such and while I know an LSD is much different I wanted to just double check. Have a great day everyone and thank you all again for answering my questions.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Very piddly difference in terms of diff integrity. I guarantee there's no damage. Track cornering will put far more abuse on your dif than a mismatch of tires and pressures by this amount. And cars routinely come back to the track again and again and again and so on and so forth. Just go get it fixed and it's all good.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I had my summers and A/S swapped this past Saturday and gave it a careful once over before I left which is very sage advice I'd give to anyone. I made sure my 1LE rims weren't damaged and that my staggered tires were in the correct positions and that the "outside" was actually on the outside, if you know what I mean.

You sometimes think you're dealing with pros but most basic maintenance like this and oil changes is usually done by the lowest ranking monkey they have.
Sponsored