Sponsored

Dash cam parking mode / battery drainage questions

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Just bought and hardwired a Thinkware F200. Would like to use parking mode, but I have concerns about battery drainage. The is parked outdoors for about 10 hours per day in a shopping center parking lot. I know the dash cam has a voltage setting, but that means it will shut off considerably before 10 hours I assume. I’ve considered getting a dash cam portable battery, but from what I’ve read you need at least 45 minutes of drive time to fully recharge it, and my commute is only about 25 minutes each way.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Also, is there a way to turn off parking mode when you are in the garage? Without having to go into the settings on the phone and do it? Is there some automatic way for that to happen?
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
TW F800 Pro dual channel- I would get 3-4 hours of parking mode running off the car batt before the battery protection shut it off. I park in a high traffic lot and use motion detection so the cam is recording often. I got a Cellink Neo 6. It will run the cam for 24 - 36 hours and recharges fast, usually in 20 - 30 minutes. I'm hardwired, I think it takes longer to charge if using the lighter for power. Expensive but it does the job.

No way to turn off parking mode without going into the setup that I know of. There is a record timer setting that will shut off the camera after the number of hours you set it at is reached.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TW F800 Pro dual channel- I would get 3-4 hours of parking mode running off the car batt before the battery protection shut it off. I park in a high traffic lot and use motion detection so the cam is recording often. I got a Cellink Neo 6. It will run the cam for 24 - 36 hours and recharges fast, usually in 20 - 30 minutes. I'm hardwired, I think it takes longer to charge if using the lighter for power. Expensive but it does the job.

No way to turn off parking mode without going into the setup that I know of. There is a record timer setting that will shut off the camera after the number of hours you set it at is reached.
How far drained is the Neo when it takes 25-30 min to recharge? I drive about 30 min to work then car sits for 9 hrs then 30 min drive home. Will that keep it fully charged?

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
I replaced the shitty factory lead/acid battery we get in our Mustangs with an AGM. I have a Blackvue 900s 2 channel 4k and in parking mode it will run for about 3 days before cutting off. Ditch the factory batter for an AGM and your problems will go away.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the shitty factory lead/acid battery we get in our Mustangs with an AGM. I have a Blackvue 900s 2 channel 4k and in parking mode it will run for about 3 days before cutting off. Ditch the factory batter for an AGM and your problems will go away.
What specific AGM do you run? Is it deep cycle?

Sponsored

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
What specific AGM do you run? Is it deep cycle?
Just a plan old cheap auto parts store AGM. Nobody makes an AGM in the size Mustangs use so the closest fit is a little taller which may touch the under side of the hood (Insulation) but it fits.
Screenshot_20191030-155205_Chrome.jpg

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
How far drained is the Neo when it takes 25-30 min to recharge? I drive about 30 min to work then car sits for 9 hrs then 30 min drive home. Will that keep it fully charged?
Over the weekends sometimes it is drained completely, recharged by the time I get work. Which is usually 30 minutes.

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
AGM's charge up to five times faster than the lead-acid flooded batteries that our cars come with and my dual channel 4k Blackvue lasts about 3 days before it dies off. Charges right back to full on a quick drive too. I didn't want to screw with a seperate little battery to power the camera so AGM was the way I went.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the size of the AGM that you got
AGM's charge up to five times faster than the lead-acid flooded batteries that our cars come with and my dual channel 4k Blackvue lasts about 3 days before it dies off. Charges right back to full on a quick drive too. I didn't want to screw with a seperate little battery to power the camera so AGM was the way I went.
What is the size of the AGM that you got? Is it deep cycle? TIA

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
What is the size of the AGM that you got

What is the size of the AGM that you got? Is it deep cycle? TIA
Look up, I posted a picture of the one I got. Size 48. Little taller and barely fits but it does and works 100 times better than the lead acid that comes stock.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look up, I posted a picture of the one I got. Size 48. Little taller and barely fits but it does and works 100 times better than the lead acid that comes stock.
Oh ok thx. Didn’t know that was the size.

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
Oh ok thx. Didn’t know that was the size.
I bought the cheapest one I could find. All batteries are made by only 2 or 3 companies, they're just labeled different and sold at different prices because of brand. Just find a cheap one and enjoy. If you know how to use Forscan, use that to change your ECU to charge an AGM vs lead acid. Will charge is as it should but even if you don't, it still works a lot better!

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the cheapest one I could find. All batteries are made by only 2 or 3 companies, they're just labeled different and sold at different prices because of brand. Just find a cheap one and enjoy. If you know how to use Forscan, use that to change your ECU to charge an AGM vs lead acid. Will charge is as it should but even if you don't, it still works a lot better!
I know how to use Forscan, but not aware of that setting. Got a link?

Armyed

Boost Addicted
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Infiniti Q50S
I know how to use Forscan, but not aware of that setting. Got a link?
I'll check my battery tomorrow to make sure it's a Group 48 and not a 47. Also, In FORScan, there is a tab on the left (windows version) that contains a bunch of test procedures. One of them is the battery monitoring system reset and is labeled as such. Once the new battery is fully charged and installed into the vehicle. Open up and connect FORScan as you normally would and run that test to reset the battery monitoring system.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll check my battery tomorrow to make sure it's a Group 48 and not a 47. Also, In FORScan, there is a tab on the left (windows version) that contains a bunch of test procedures. One of them is the battery monitoring system reset and is labeled as such. Once the new battery is fully charged and installed into the vehicle. Open up and connect FORScan as you normally would and run that test to reset the battery monitoring system.
Awesome thank you - appreciate all the info.

Did some searching and found that size 47 doesn’t allow the battery cover to close and thus contacts the hood when closed. Do you have that issue?
Sponsored