Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
REVIEW: Everything Wrong With A 5.0 Coyote Engine - YouTube

Thought I'd start a thread on this. Sorry, still waiting for my 2022!

Some things in this video that got my attention.
- At 4:18 the generation chart.
- At 4:20 Gen1 connecting rod bearing issue (only major issue) resolved in Gen2/3.
- At 6:17 discussion of synthetic oil and why this creates some sludge.
- At 6:30 Short drives not good as oil doesn't get to temp, crystalizes and sludge created. So drive your car and endure it comes to temp and you run the engine long enough!
- At 7:45 Ford V8 chart. Guys likes both versions of the 4.6L. Triton is not so good, he doesn't even work on them any more.
- At 10:55 discussion on sticking with one type of oil. Seems that a synthetic blend would be the best? I saw that the Motorcraft Blend was recommended in another thread. Curious what folks think on this.
- At 14:19. Gen 2/3 bigger valves.
- At 14:32 Heads are solid on the 5.0s. Only cracks observed are on 4.6 lifter bores.
- At 14:45 Cast iron bore Gen1. Curious what Gen3 is. At Gen 2/3 Cylinder material change in 2015.
- At 15:35 Discussion on boring the cylinders or sleeving. When you bore larger and use factory pistons you really don't get more performance due to compression distance change. I didn't know this - curious what folks have to say.
- At 16:40 discussion of Gen1 casting and oil burning. Fixed in Gen2/3.
- At 16:55 discussion on welded sleeves in the block and how Ford gets above 5.0L displacement.
- At 17:34 discussion on backed off bolt.
- At 18:00 discussion on bearings (ease of removal, staying on crank and fretting). Fixed in Gen 2/3.
- At 18:50 oil pump and flow discussions.
- At 20:00 discussion on bearings and burning of synthetic oil on pistons and ring areas which you don't see on conventional oil engines. Synthetic called for timing phasers hence the idea that a blend may be the best way to go?
- At 20:42 oil is cheap do oil changes often...
- At 21:00 piston squirter discussion. Removed for cost? Maybe removed due to imbalances they create and engine longevity.
- At 22:10 discussion on front driven oil pumps and that they are solid.
- At 22:14 discussion on aluminum bearings and synthetic oil. Again, maybe a blend helps and is the way to go?
- At 22:50 Every engine burns synthetic oil. There is a need to check and top off oil often in performance engines.
- At 23:03 discussion why engine may have failed. Low oil? Beat on? Lack of maintenance?
- At 23:50 discussion on how bearings fail due to heat and wear.
- At 24:55 bore check for out of round.
- At 26:30 general discussion on a well-designed engine by the GM fan boy! More cost than a LS is his only firm ground. Money aside Ford fan says the technology is better in the Ford and you'll be much further ahead with the Coyote.
Sponsored

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
I have a couple of issues with what he said which had nothing to do with the Coyote.....

1) Synthetic oil was the cause of all the sludge in that engine because it was never allowed to warm up.

I've never seen or heard of this. He was asked why one bank was dirtier than the other and he couldn't give an answer even though it's well known the PCV system is the cause.

2) Boring an engine doesn't increase displacement.

He's absolutely wrong on this one. He gave an explanation that the new piston sits a little lower so as not to increase compression therefore stroke is decreased which is crap. The swept area doesn't change, stroke is the same, the bore is increased so displacement is increased.

It makes me question some of the other things he had to say.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yeah. In fact, I understand the 5.2 L Voodoo engine begins with a bored out 5.0 L Coyote.
Sponsored