Sponsored

Couple of Various Questions (DownPipe, Shifter Bracket and Vibration around 60)

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
1. Can anyone tell me if you noticed better throttle response after upgrading the down pipe? I've always liked the "instant" response of NA engines, the mustang is my first turbo car and while it's pretty darn good compared to what I was expecting, I'm always looking to improve it if I can. I know if go with a down pipe upgrade i'm stuck with the tune for good unless I swap the factory unit back in, but I'm wondering if the combination of response and power band increase in the mid / upper might be worth it.

2. After having spent the last 6k miles with the BlowFish direct mount bracket installed, generally don't like it. It works as advertised, but the biggest issue I have is all the engine noise that I now hear in the cabin. The bracket forces the shifter turret to sit a bit lower, maybe a 1/4 inch, to allow it to move as the transmission rocks back and fourth.

This allows a lot of engine noise into the cabin as the transmission tunnel and exhaust act like megaphones, you hear every little valve tap, tic, click and clack...sounds like the engines gonna fall apart when it's cold lol. It becomes obnoxious over longer trips and since this is a daily driver with a stock turbo I"m thinking I can get away without it unless some one has any good ideas how to suppress the noise.

I thought about using acoustic foam, however the rocking motion under acceleartion of the shifter turret housing will probably tear that up if it's compressed enough to dampen the sound. Also the added vibration causes a periodic rattle in the steeda shifter I just have never been able to weed out (taken it apart about 15 times now, making little tweaks), I'm not a fan of the "buzzer" sound in the shifter I get some times. I never had any 1-2 lockout before but upgraded as a pre-caution and for added safety but am now regretting that particular upgrade from an NHV standpoint...but then again the shifting has been stellar, very precise gates, never miss 3rd nor have and a single lockout....

3. Did anyone ever solve that "vibration" issue that occurs most between about 55~70 mph? It doesn't feel like the tires are out of balance as it's not a shaking, but a high frequency vibration, almost coarse sounding (kind of like the the turbo noise around 4k rpms at light loads), it's not the drive shaft as best I can tell because the shift stick is fairly smooth while cruising, since I have a DM shifter I'd feel it in the stick and it's been there since new to a degree. It almost sounds like bad wheel bearings, it seems to be the loudest in the front, I"m wondering if it's the Eagle F1 tires. Car's always had it since new, but it's gotten a bit louder. Oh, can anyone confirm the torque on the lug nuts is indeed 150 ft-lbs? User manual states 150 ft-lbs, but that seems awfully high for a car...just want to make sure it's not a misprint.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
150 .lbs is correct and the vib link is here. some have corrected it some still have and some have gotton theirs bought back by ford.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990&highlight=vibration
I saw that, but I don't actually think it's the same issue. The noise is coming from the front and it got much louder after tire rotation. I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel and when I had the blow fish bracket I didn't feel any abnormal vibration in the stick either (idle was much rougher than cruising on the highway).

At this point I think it's the tires. I read several reviews on tire rack about eagle F1's being noisy after just a short time...the fact that the noise became much more prominent after the rear end swap (when I also rotated the tires) and seemed to move from behind my to in front of me makes me think its tire related.

Also these eagle F1's feel like they get flat spots after sitting, the car gets really choppy at low speeds (30~40 mph) for a few minutes (much more so in cold than when its warm). I"ve had bad tires on car before that did that (or really cheap ones). I'll see if the noise goes back to the rear when I rotate the tires again, that might confirm the source.
Sponsored