Sponsored

Cost of 2 piece rotors...

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It irritates me that OEM GT350 15.5 inch rotors are 260 bucks a pop, and aftermarket 15 inch rotors for the PP are 900 to 2,000. Makes the GT350 conversion a much better deal rather than just doing the rears and getting non OEM 2 piece fronts.
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Steeda was offering their PP1 2-piece rotors for $1200 front and rear just recently.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Except that the GT350R upgrade kit is $4k and like Brazos609 said, you can get the Steeda rotors for $1200. Your argument doesn't make any sense.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except that the GT350R upgrade kit is $4k and like Brazos609 said, you can get the Steeda rotors for $1200. Your argument doesn't make any sense.
Actually it does if you have a base GT. I bought my 2015 PP GT used so I have to work from that as a starting point. Knowing wha i know now I would do things differently if I was buying new or even shopping for a used GT. If I ordered a new 2020 I would get a:

Base GT fastback
301A for the modes and upgraded infotainment
10-speed automatic
Active valve exhaust
Safe and Smart

Then I would add the Ford Performance Part GT350R front and rear brake kit and Ford Performance Part Track Handling Pack. These two kits combines run $5450 online. For that you get GT350R front 6-piston, rear 4-piston, 2-piece rotors front and rear, GT350 lower control arms, half-shatfs, struts, shocks, springs front and rear, sway bars front and rear... For $5450 vs $3995 for the PP1 you are getting much better brakes and suspension. A set of 19"x10"/11" staggered flow formed rims is $900-1000, also much better than the cast 19"x9"/9.5" staggered PP1 rims.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Want better braking performance? Get pads. Forget fancy rotors.
This, but before that....tires. There's no tire over 300 treadwear that's not the limiting factor in your braking performance (or 200TW, even).

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Actually it does if you have a base GT. I bought my 2015 PP GT used so I have to work from that as a starting point. Knowing wha i know now I would do things differently if I was buying new or even shopping for a used GT. If I ordered a new 2020 I would get a:

Base GT fastback
301A for the modes and upgraded infotainment
10-speed automatic
Active valve exhaust
Safe and Smart

Then I would add the Ford Performance Part GT350R front and rear brake kit and Ford Performance Part Track Handling Pack. These two kits combines run $5450 online. For that you get GT350R front 6-piston, rear 4-piston, 2-piece rotors front and rear, GT350 lower control arms, half-shatfs, struts, shocks, springs front and rear, sway bars front and rear... For $5450 vs $3995 for the PP1 you are getting much better brakes and suspension. A set of 19"x10"/11" staggered flow formed rims is $900-1000, also much better than the cast 19"x9"/9.5" staggered PP1 rims.
If only you could option magneride separate. After owning it, it's a must have option for me. But I agree if I could have forgone the pp on my eco it would have been a better move. Same would go for a gt

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Want better braking performance? Get pads. Forget fancy rotors.
This, but before that....tires. There's no tire over 300 treadwear that's not the limiting factor in your braking performance (or 200TW, even).
So my understanding for my car if I want to do HPDE events I would need different rotors for sure as the non PP1 rotors are known to overheat or not displace heat correctly?

So upgrading the rotors to one that works better should be fairly easy I assume. Other than that I guess I see what issues I have.

I've done 3 HPDE events in the past on other vehicles (two of them on my 2011 GT without PP).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So my understanding for my car if I want to do HPDE events I would need different rotors for sure as the non PP1 rotors are known to overheat or not displace heat correctly?

So upgrading the rotors to one that works better should be fairly easy I assume. Other than that I guess I see what issues I have.

I've done 3 HPDE events in the past on other vehicles (two of them on my 2011 GT without PP).
They will if you're on a sticky tire and are using the full capability of the brakes. With the right pad you can be OK on track (going to too aggressive of a pad can cause issues, not just street pads). If you are planning on spending a decent amount of time at the track (a few events a year), the Brembo upgrade or a 2-pc upgrade (Steeda, Baer plain or slotted only) will help a good amount. For my money, I'd much rather get take-off 6 pistons Brembos and rotors for about the same price as the two piece for the base brakes.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is also skill dependent too. If someone was doing wheel to wheel, then more focused rotors are definitely warranted. HPDE's not so much though, just depends. It's not hard to get a non PP1 car to out brake a PP1 car. Also depends on the track too. If you have an open track where there's a lot of time off the brakes, cooling generally shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you're an advanced driver. A track like Blackhawk Farms or Gingerman Raceway though with an advanced driver? RIP your stoppers.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

I think he is talking consumable cost. With hard track use rotors may not last that long, and aftermarket 2 piece rotors often want 80% of the price of the rotor kit for just the replacement (outer) rotors. If the replacement section of the 350 rotors is $250 that is WAY cheaper than I have seen for aftermarket 2 piece replacement rotors. It is that recurring cost that keeps me from doing the 2 piece upgrade.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think he is talking consumable cost. With hard track use rotors may not last that long, and aftermarket 2 piece rotors often want 80% of the price of the rotor kit for just the replacement (outer) rotors. If the replacement section of the 350 rotors is $250 that is WAY cheaper than I have seen for aftermarket 2 piece replacement rotors. It is that recurring cost that keeps me from doing the 2 piece upgrade.
The once a year sale price on the Steedas was $1200 but they are $1600 most of the time. A full set of GT350 rotors is $11-1200 year round, maybe the new non-drilled versions too.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
But you also have to look at the total cost. Let's say a Brembo upgrade with Steeda 2-piece rotors all around is $2k vs the $4k of the GT350 upgrade: you're still ahead $2k. That means you can buy 2 more sets of replacement rings before you break even with the 350 kit. From that point forward rotor cost is even or slightly cheaper for the Steeda/PP setup. And there is no replacment ring for 350, you're buying the whole thing for $250 per corner.

OP
OP
DekiDoo

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
My argument is the following: for 4,000 , actually $3800,I can get front monoblock 6 piston calipers, 4 piston rear calipers, new half shafts, new knuckles, caliper adapters, all mounting hardware, brake lines, new e-brake assembly, plus 2 pieces rotors with aluminum hubs...or for 2,000 I can get 2 piece aftermarket rotors. When you track your car and then it's time to replace them, you can get a set of front and rear Ford OEM 15.5 inch front and 15 inch rears for a grand.

Exactly. And it's 250 for the whole thing, not just the ring.
Sponsored