Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
After a lot of research I've made a significant improvement in the way my car shifts/feels/drives with just three (relatively) cheap and simple mods.

1. Steeda 35 lb/in clutch pedal assist spring - Cost $20

555-7022(2).jpg

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-35-lb-in-15-16-all-555-7022.html

The previous owner installed the lighter clutch pedal assist spring and perch, but I drove several new S550 cars before this one and right off the hop, this is a big improvement in your interface with the car. If you only do one thing to your new Mustang, this should be it. I have the perch too, but this spring is significantly LIGHTER than stock, so a stronger perch is totally unnecessary IMO.

2. BG Syncro Shift II fluid change - Cost $85
1%20BG%20Syncro%20Shift%20II%20kit-X2.jpg

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p4/..._Shift_II_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_-_MT82_Kit_.html

BG Synchro Shift II is leaps and bounds better than the factory fill, meets/exceeds Ford's specs, and I've been told some dealerships will put this in for customers complaining about their manual trans. While it can still be a little notchy when cold, as soon as its up to temp you'll fall in love. Certain tracks and backroads have you swapping cogs a lot, especially with 3.73s, so even though it's pricey for gear lube, it's worth it for cars that get flogged on a regular basis. Trans temps stay down on track too, cheap insurance.

3. Energy Suspension shifter bushing - Cost $18

61wpw8UldfL._SY587_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01300AV6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SO many guys spend BIG money on shifters, but there's a DIRT cheap mod that'll get you half way there while saving $400-500. This little guy only cost me $16 on Amazon and the difference was VERY noticeable. It's still the stock shifter, so the feel isn't going to be bolt-action rifle, but it changes the character and if Ford used this bushing from the factory there's a LOT of people who would never have bothered installing a shifter.

These three mods work so well together, for only $125 spent it almost feels like you're getting away with something.

Honorable mention: Steeda differential bushing insert kit - cost $100

This is less direct and more felt when launching the car hard repeatedly, but the slop in the diff mounting translates all the way up and you'll feel it as a "vagueness" in the clutch takeup. Most people do this for wheelhop, myself included, but it does do something for the normal/spirited driving experience as well.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I would include this in there as well....this made a huge difference when I was rocking the MT82.....Steeda #555-4037 transmission mount bushing $29.95.

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid change (Royal Purple, couldn't find BG locally at the time), the Energy suspension bushing (Shown above) + Steeda trans mount insert (Shown above) + Boomba shifter and my '17 shifts great. No lockouts, no wishy washy engagement etc.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Any increase in vibration, etc with the ES shifter bushing?

OP
OP
aleccolin

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Any increase in vibration, etc with the ES shifter bushing?
With the shifter bushing, no, none whatsoever.

I’ve been hesitant to try the trans mount insert, having heard there’s some additional (sometimes obnoxious) NVH increase. Since my car is primarily just for road trips and backroading.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Shifter mount bushing - I couldn't notice any added noise or vibration. Thing is - there might be, since that's what the bushing is actually doing, firming up the connection of the shifter mount.

As for the trans mount insert - yes I have noticed a driveline 'resonance' for lack of a better term, but it happens rarely. Every now and again, at a certain RPM / speed / certain road conditions, I'll feel it. Thing is, a quick blip of the throttle and it's gone. It's hard to explain. It only started happening after installing just the insert - so I'm pretty sure it's related. But like I said, it rarely happens and again, a quick blip of the throttle and it's gone. It's like everything has to line up perfect for it to even do it and considering I drive the car daily, I don't even think about it anymore.

Thing is so many people that post about added noise or vibration - but that's part of the compromise. The reason the MT82 factory shifting setup has it's flaws is because it was designed to have the least mount of noise and vibration. It's not just the MT82 either. We install added subframe and IRS bracing to stiffen up the chassis and suspension, along with springs, swaybars etc...

Isn't that the entire point? To make the car perform better? If noise and vibration were my primary concerns in regards to my car, I doubt I would have bought a Mustang at all.
Sponsored