Coil and engine cover painting ideas

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
I have a 2015 50 Years LE in Wimbledon White. I have an idea for painting the coil and engine covers and would like to know what you think, and also how to do it.

I'm thinking of painting the coil covers in WW, and also the metal-colored part of the engine cover. I'm thinking of leaving the black part of the engine cover as is (unpainted so it stays black). Then I'm thinking of painting the "Powered by Ford" lettering and the two inset lines of the coil covers, as well as the inset lines on the engine cover, bright red to match some other red visual mods I'm doing. (So far just silicone hoses, also I'm doing a lot of red BMR suspension parts, and maybe later on some other highlights but nothing big.)

Alternatively, since the intake runners are metal colored, I could instead leave the metal-colored part of the engine cover that color, and paint the black part WW. Still put the red highlight in the inset lines.

What do you think of either of these, which do you think would look best?

What's the best way to get those parts smooth to have a more glossy look once they're painted?

Is body paint acceptable to use on these parts?

(I know the WW color will show dirt pretty bad, but I'll clean it as necessary.)
Sponsored

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my 50th LE used. The previous owner had the coil covers WW with black lettering. He also had the intake cover WW on the gray portions with the center left alone in black.

It looked ok, but It had too much white for my taste. Too bad I didn't take any pictures of it. I tried cleaning it but it was stained. Also some areas the paint was worn away... I am guessing oil must have gotten on it or he didn't prep it properly. IDK. Not sure what type of paint he used.

I ended up changing out the coil covers to Ford Performance blue aluminum. I painted the intake cover dark metallic on the outsides, blue lines and Ford Blue engine hi-temp paint in the center (they resist oil too). Problem is that apparently the Ford Performance blue coil covers aren't a true Ford Blue so it doesn't match that well.... or my Ford Blue spray paint is not the correct shade. The coil covers are laser etched, so I don't want to paint over them. Oh, well. I am leaving it for now. I was trying to go for the 60's engine inspired look.

Anyways, back to your situation... If you are set on the white, then I would Paint the center section of the intake cover WW and leave the sides alone... or a dark metallic gray.

Remember to use a heat gun on the 5.0 emblem and it will come right off with a putty knife or something similar.