Sponsored

Clutch safety switch - HR3Z-11A152-A keeps breaking off - solutions?

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch safety switch broke on my 19 yesterday at the track. The tab that stops it from disconnecting snapped off and I got a P0833 code. This is the 2nd time that this has happened. The 1st time I replaced the switch and didn't use the 90 degree adapter that was originally on the car - instead clipping it to the pedal mounting directly - as my local parts guys said that the adapter wasn't sold anymore so I thought that it might have been the problem.

Has anyone got a solution to this? It just looks like the spring in the switch is too strong for the clips and they fatigue and break off.

Meantime, I have zip-tied the switch in place as the 2 main tabs are still good. I also put a sticky pad in the slot that the 2 main tabs hook into so that they can't back out.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The clutch safety switch broke on my 19 yesterday at the track. The tab that stops it from disconnecting snapped off and I got a P0833 code. This is the 2nd time that this has happened. The 1st time I replaced the switch and didn't use the 90 degree adapter that was originally on the car - instead clipping it to the pedal mounting directly - as my local parts guys said that the adapter wasn't sold anymore so I thought that it might have been the problem.

Has anyone got a solution to this? It just looks like the spring in the switch is too strong for the clips and they fatigue and break off.

Meantime, I have zip-tied the switch in place as the 2 main tabs are still good. I also put a sticky pad in the slot that the 2 main tabs hook into so that they can't back out.
It's not particularly clear what you're describing, but the P0833 code is for the cruise control cancel switch. It actuates when you start to push the clutch pedal down so that cruise control cuts out before the clutch disengages. There's another switch mounted on a different bracket that prevents starting the car if the clutch isn't all the way down. It actuates at the bottom of travel.

I've had my version of your switch out, but it's on a 2016. The switch just clips into the top of the bracket with a twist with the actuator pointing straight down pushing against an arm on the clutch pedal. The return spring inside the switch isn't particularly strong. Ford may have changed it for the 2019, but it's such a simple setup. Thing is, in my car, there's very little tension on anything down there. Yours sounds quite different. Got any pictures?

OP
OP
Tony_the_Brit

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So it sounds like the broken clip on my switch didn't cause the CEL - it was just a coincidence. I will have to take a look at the other switch.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So it sounds like the broken clip on my switch didn't cause the CEL - it was just a coincidence. I will have to take a look at the other switch.
Oops! Sorry! I got it mixed up - you're right, it's the switch that blocks the engine from starting.

1632087424487.png

That one, I know nothing about... sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
Tony_the_Brit

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No worries.

Has anyone else had this switch/sensor break off?
Sponsored