Sponsored

Cheapest place to program a new key fob in the LA area?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
Hey everyone!

I just picked up a lightly used 2016 Ecoboost Premium last night. It's an amazing vehicle and I got a pretty good deal on it, so I couldn't be happier. However, there was one catch that I wasn't aware of until I had signed all the paperwork and was ready to drive off the lot.

The previous owner was some kind of an idiot, and managed to lose one of the key fobs, along with the little metal key that was in the second key fob. How this happens, I do not know.

End result is that I have only one working key fob, and no metal backup key.

I've Googled a bit and apparently one can buy additional key fobs off eBay or Amazon, but you need two keys to program a third. (My old Ford Ranger was the same way with the PATS keys they used in that car.) Not surprising, because that way valets or anyone else borrowing your car can't dupe your key because they only have one.

So I know that I have to go to the dealer to have them program a new 2nd key fob for me, and to cut the metal key blank that comes with it.

I have two questions. One, will most dealers program a fob that I bring in for a fee, or will they say 'F you, you have to buy it from us'? Two, anyone know a dealer or service center that does this for a reasonable price around LA?
Sponsored