Sponsored

Can't find good ground in trunk mustang 2017

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
So, if you go to the System Diagrams section of the manual, and look at the "2 Subwoofer System (MONO)" drawing, that is how you'd want to wire your subwoofer. Let me know if this doesn't make sense...
This is how I would connect the sub to the amp. It's on page 12 in the manual.
Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As long as it is wired as the diagram shows in the crutchfield link he will get the same results as if he wired the sub as diagram on page 12 shows in the Alpine manual. the only difference is that he would be wiring parallel at the amp as opposed to at the woofer.

From his pics I would clean up the loose fray wires on is +12 line, that is just the installs judge in me though.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost PP
Page 12 shows 2 woofers. Should I put one in center and one on side? For 1 woofer?

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Nope your fine at the amp as its wired. If you open up the amplifier you will see both positives are summed and both negatives are summed. As long as you use one positive and one negative you will get the same results.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok well I tried playing for 30 min. Still blue. Maybe something with speaker or need to try longer without woofer.

I did notice this. My remote out to remote in from LC2I was loose on LC2i. Slight movement in the wire, disconnected the amp. But once the wire got back contact, it immediately came back on blue. Never red. So I doubt that was the issue. I fixed it nevertheless. I plugged back in the leads to see in case that was the issue. Fingers crossed. If it's the subwoofer, your saying I got a lemon?

Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You could have, but it is normally very unlikely that it was bad from the factory. pull the woofer and measure the resistance of each coil independently, they should both be around 3.8 ohm. When you pull the woofer also check to ensure there are no loose wire strands touching between positive and negative.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I went to a authorized Alpine installer who re-wired the entire system for me for 150. Still same issue.

He mentioned my box is to small which may cause the coils to short. Not letting the sub breath. The other idea he mentioned is my sub may need to be replaced. Not happy. Any of this make sense to any of you?

He mentioned that the 4 ohm sub going into a 2 ohm load may also be causing to much power. Or the LC2i sending too much power into the amp causing it to go into protection. Essentially if the music hits a specific note it will short it.

His solution is to warranty the sub with a 2ohm and hook it up into an 8ohm load. He said it will be weaker but then we can turn up the gain.

Imy mind is speghheti at this point. Wasted 6 hours, out 150, and going for a weaker setup to "fix" the issue.

Thoughts?

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Box to small will not cause the cpils to short, it will however cause the sub to not play as low. on the LC2i what voltage is it outputting? Unless it's close to 20 volts you shouldn't have an issue. also the gain setting is not a volume control. if the gain is set properly with one sub it should be the same with a different sub as the input voltage determine how much gain is needed.

Does the amp go into protect at lo levels also? If it does then it isn't the sub unless a coil was bad. the resistance of a woofer is never constant it changes with frequency., So a 2ohm woofer will show from 1.5 - 3.5 ohms while playing music.

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I tested the woofer ohms shows 2.3-2.5 I think it's correct. Knowing I had a "professional" re-wire it I paid attention. Exactly the same thing I did.

Could you guide me through trouble shooting steps on how to properly check voltage? I will do it myself and report back my findings.

I don't know if it goes into protection mode at low volumes. But I remember driving one time on the phone for an hour, and than I turned on the volume for music and it was working. Typically, it would go into protect mode within the hour. So as a guesstimate, low volumes does not make it go into protect mode.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Rewire the woofer into a 4ohm load and try. For this you will wire the coils in series. the positive from one coil and the negative from the other coil go to the amp. The remaining + and - are wired together. This should take care of any impedance issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what is the idea behind this? Obviously lower power, and if it works, what's the solution to get 2 ohms working?

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, if I wire it that way, I will be putting 8 ohms into amplifier... manual shows only 4 and 2 ohms capability . . .

OP
OP

g3lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read that the LC2i could be causing too much voltage. Also, some recommend using 1 speaker to the LC2i and one rca cable. Thoughts on this? How to properly test voltage using DMM?

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yes you can run just one speaker in but you will not get all music information. even though a sub is a mono signal the information is from a combined left and right.

You can also wire just a single voice coil, if you do that just remember that your power handling will be cut in half.
Sponsored