Sponsored

Caliper removal tips and tricks?

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Has anyone ever done them? I've never removed calipers completely before. I do everything on my car but brake stuff get me a little nervous with the line bleeding and putting bubbles and all that good stuff (do I need to bleed them??). Anybody have any tips they can share? I am taking all the calipers off to ship them to get powder-coated (any suggestions on a good place around Chicago?). Btw, I have the Brembo fronts if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Okay, first understand that you will need to keep the fluid off the cars painted surfaces. So plan to put something under the caliper to catch the fluid that will drop.
Second, there is no neat way to disconnect them so just use the correct size wrench and don't strip the bolts.
Third after the hoses are disconnected wrap the ends with something to prevent anything from contaminating them, plastic bags and rubber bands work well. Then just go ahead and take the calipers off by removing the two bolts on the back. (this is for the front calipers) I'm not sure what is holding the rear on but they also have a cable on them (emergency brake).

You will need to pull the brake pads out before sending them off. Now while the car is laid up make sure no one gets in it and pumps the brake pedal.

Once you get the calipers back reverse the procedure and buy a large container of brake fluid. The bleeding procedure is an absolute must after reinstall, before you do any thing else. There are a couple ways to do it, one is use a vacuum bleeder like the Mity Vac and the other is to use the hose and jar method. Either will work but you must be absolutely sure you understand the procedure you plan to use. (The hose and jar is the cheapest and also can be done by one person)

There are several videos on YouTube on bleeding. Watch a few of them while you wait for your calipers to get back. Good Luck. :)

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
If you're removing calipers from the lines then yes, you would have to.

xoggy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.xog.nu
First Name
Ola
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT w/PP
Also a good tip, find something that will press down a lite bit on the break pedal in the car. (like a pice of wood between the seat and the pedal) this will close the hole between the piston in the master break cylinder and the fluid tank, when you crack lose the fittings on the calliper you will only get e few drops out of the break line and not empty the system completely.

Like a straw, i you block one side of it can hold fluid, but not if its open on both sides :)

This makes it so much easier when you going to bleed the system when reinstalling the callipers.

Have fun! :)

//Ola

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Also a good tip, find something that will press down a lite bit on the break pedal in the car. (like a pice of wood between the seat and the pedal) this will close the hole between the piston in the master break cylinder and the fluid tank, when you crack lose the fittings on the calliper you will only get e few drops out of the break line and not empty the system completely.

Like a straw, i you block one side of it can hold fluid, but not if its open on both sides :)

This makes it so much easier when you going to bleed the system when reinstalling the callipers.

Have fun! :)

//Ola
Disconnect your brake pedal switch if you do this, so the brake lights don't kill your battery while the calipers are out being coated.

OP
OP
Blackbeauty

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Oh man ya'll just scared the hell outta me!! LOL! Amazing info though, time to start studying and watching videos pertaining to everything you guys said. Thank you all!
Sponsored