308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Greetings,
Has any ~2019 Bullitt owners noticed any pitting or rust spots on chrome trim around door/side windows?

The grill appears fine, but plan to Iook it over again as soon as I can, in some sun, when we get some. Rain/Flooding has been bad here for days on end.
Been busy since we got car, as we just lost an Aunt to Covid, as well as close friends mom. Both were in Nursing hm's, but no idea if covid was involved w/friend mom

Have not taken car to the detail guy yet, to look at paint correction or any other possible treatments.
Looking into film/ceramic coatings, or a bit of both. No track wrk likely, as i hav race cars, & bought this to just enjoy it more, and hopefully mod less..but tuff to resist.

Im bias as a new owner, but I really think this s550 body is the best lookin horse in the glue factory. Glad I went this way vs used zl1 or 1le, even though they are more car. I really like the Bullitt. Helps the wife does too. Just bummed a bit over the glass & rust pitts. But its fixable. Just know what happened when they redid a window motor on the Lariat.. screwed other stuff up..

I reaslize its no gt350, but to me it is a nice car, and id like it to look its best.

Maybe the detail guy can work on the chrome? Or not.
Any thoughts? I have had a brief conversation w/dealer, by ph, and they are awaiting pics.

Also, anyone w/s550 have any streaks in glass that are not on outside surface or inside surface, but appear to be within the laminated glass itself?

Its my drivers door window, bk near door handle, and in the right light/ angle,
( lack of light actually may make it show even more) shows up as sorta a blueish/ green colored vertical streak bout ~1/8" wide.
Its just not on inside or outside surface, but I believe within the laminated layers..
Im no glass guy, do Im not able to properly judge it.

This mystery streak is about an 8"/10" long streak line, running vertically above where u grab door handle to open dr.

Does not travel fully, top to bottom, of door glass. Not bubbling, like my 70 stang orig glass edges, but bad enuff its annoying once u know its there.

Im just not savy to what this
"1st 12 months" coverage , vs, the overall 3/36 coverage, and what each covers.

I was told you have a more thorough/ better coverage in 1st yr 12k, than in rest of the entire 3/36.
It sounded like BS to me @ time, as it came from the finance guy.
While going over general routine stuff, likely leading up to the big EXPENSIVE extended warranty they want u to buy.

This warranty conversation was long before these 2 items came up of rust pitting & window streak thst appears to be inside glass itself. Last thing I really want is to change/replace a door glass,
and possiblly goof up a smooth operational door window ..
Ive been thru it on mtr window replacement under warranty @Ford dealer..

The trim may just be adhesive and not clips, i hav no idea yet.
Id prolly just powder coat trim black if its on my dime. But grill seems & looks nice to me as a feature,
so im not sure im ready to do anything like that, if warranty covers this chrome.

Thx in advance for any direction on the issues or how to deal w/warranty claim.
Ive stated im really new to forum "etiquette" and the abbreviations. So bare w/ till i can get it all right please. Likely posted in wrong place as well.
Regards,

20200518_185406.jpg
20200518_190033.jpg
20200518_185439.jpg
20200518_185523.jpg
20200518_185424.jpg
Sponsored

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
I wonder if something dripped on the car while it was stored? I bought a 76 Eldorado, was on a lot for several weeks. The owner had written on the windshield, in Glass Wax, the asking price and the year. I cleaned that windshield with everything know to man but I think the sun baked, or burnt, the writing into the glass or the tint, as I could see it from a certain angle.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
First off, great screen name! Definitely looks like rust the way it is spreading out from a pin point. Either the chrome wasn't done right or iron contaminated the surface? I've seen stainless steel rust in a similar fashion when particles of iron contaminated the surface. Looks like your window got hit by lightning or it's just plain defective. I would have both fixed under warranty. Other than wear items like tires and brakes, the 3/36 warranty is bumper to bumper.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That looks weird, like something etched the glass. By the way, the door glass is not laminated, like it was on the 2018 F-150 Platinum I traded in (front only). You can easily tell by looking at the top of the window: it looks like a sandwich (with a membrane in the middle). Anyway, try a glass polish; better than let a dealer replace it.

Finally, does anybody know if the very slight tint on the side windows offers any UV protection? Thx.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
Looks like your car sat on the lot under an old steel lot light. Water dripping down from the light onto your car. Or parked next to a fence that was leaning over the car. I have see both situations in the past. A good retailer may be able to remove the stains I think there are products available for this problem. I bet if you look real real close into the paint you'll see little specs of brown through out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
308 Cal. Bullitt

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
Thx Everyone for the input!

It may all be very helpful while resolving these issues, w/all these great points & observations you all hav been kind enuff to bring too light! This community thing is amazing when U lived in dark ages of social media interactions as the FNG.. :+)
Mucho Gracious !!

Mustang Bullitts~
Best lookin horse in the glue factory!

OP
OP
308 Cal. Bullitt

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
Finally, does anybody know if the very slight tint on the side windows offers any UV protection? Thx.[/QUOTE]

@ Elp_jc

My detail guy relayed from his mobile/contract tint guy, that Ford glass is dye'd,
and has no real UV or protective reflection value.
If any UV protection is avail. from stock Ford tint in glass,
Its rather minor .
Just passing on what im being told.
<not my words, & im paraphrasing>

Nobody seems to have a explanation, other than lighting, @ this time, on glass issue.

That was Hillsndale's suggestion/thought. & a rather plausible one I might think.

Nobody else thus far, - dealer/detailer, ect has an idea at all what it might be.

Rail car brake dust is what my detailer says he has seen cause similar issues in past.
Still, nobody is sure the conditions/timeline circumstances,
can support that possibility, not just yet.

Voo doo, you may have best suggestion for resolutions thus far. Thx!
Regards all,

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely iron deposits that are likely everywhere on your car causing the chrome to surface rust. It can easily be polished out with your favorite metal polish. I custom ordered my car and picked it up fresh off the truck. It was covered in iron deposits from the railroad trip. I took it home dirty and cleaned it properly myself. The 16 year old with a soapy broom at the dealership is NOT your friend!

The glass definitely looks like staining from some sort of contaminant dropping on it. You can see the "splash" area and the dripping below it. Use the same metal polish from above (I use Mother's Mag/Aluminum Wheel Polish) and it'll likely remove your glass stain with ease. I've had great luck using metal polishes on glass in the past. It certainly won't hurt anything. Good luck!

Stang5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang bullitt 6759
Trust me it is not rust ! Stainless does not rust ! Your car has a deposit on is consistent with rail dust like mine had all over the hood roof and trunk when I picked it up . I simply gave the salesman a bad report for handing over a car to a customer in that condition . I took it home and used a good light rubbing compound which removed the spots than a polish and buffer to bring the whole area back to new again . I also voiced my complaint with Ford when they sent out a sails review I hope this gets someone’s attention.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Finally, does anybody know if the very slight tint on the side windows offers any UV protection? Thx.

Standard toughened / tempered glass blocks virtually all UVB and about half of the UVA by default

The door alignment on the first picture looks awful

OP
OP
308 Cal. Bullitt

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
More issues arise.
Update to follow soon..

Thx for the excellent input folks!
Regards,

Ohh. BTW..
The pic is of a tool a mechanic left under hood, likely when they chg'd battery for new 1
before release.
I asked for new BATT. to start W/..
& they said it must chk bad 1st. It did.
Cars sitting <new> seem to hav that issue more than 30 yrs ago, < i thk..IMO>

Maybe His/Her specialty pliers are just a
"present" or an "offering" to the Bullitt's GT350 intake, ???
or just the whole car in general. < grin>
Trying to find humor in all this.

Nice surprise (the tool) when we opened hood for 1st time....<laughing>
hey, we are all just humans.
Lord knows I am..
Sorta an alter type sacrifice Id say!...??
Yes, i will return it.. @ 2+hrs away..

Or if they come get car & tk bk,
to make ALL right..
(much more stuff nobody knows about yet)
They can haul the sacrificial tool bk hm w/308.
20200520_121124.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Damn; glad it didn't fall onto the spinning belt; it wouldn't have been pretty. I'd keep it, for the tech's own good. Ha ha. After he has to spend on a new one, he might be more careful next time :D.

OP
OP
308 Cal. Bullitt

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
Standard toughened / tempered glass blocks virtually all UVB and about half of the UVA by default

The door alignment on the first picture looks awful
Yeah, nearly every 2019 Stang I've looked at had alignment issues either on trunk, doors, hoods, and the chrome trim that goes around doors on Bullitts.
If u look closely as well, the trim above/below glass, is clearly NOT THE SAME manufacturer's product or the same style of chrome plating/coating as....

Say a Chinese spray on "tan like" chrome job ( j/k ) but clearly it 2 diff chrome process's on my car.

What do u do?
The door body line are right.
I know, part of how I feed myself involves body lines being correct. And it's been said Ford has a tolerance for these poorly matched panels/trim... and if its within there specs..its not fixable under warranty.

Camera angle seems to make it look a bit worse as well. But none the less.
S550s are not the best aligned cars when new.
Thx again for everyone's observastions & also too those pointing out how bad my ($42k OTD, '19, - Tax, TL,)
new Bullitt, looks..

j/k :+) gotta laugh..
Gettin upset doesn't fix anything... learned that after long time of being upset over things u hav no control over.
Thx again everyone.

We will get it all straightaway, I hope.
If not,
"we always thought we should have"
Best lookin~~~in the glue factory..
still is..imo

Last edited:
OP
OP
308 Cal. Bullitt

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
1st, allow us to thank everyone for there input regarding our orig post and possibly solutions.

Closing out this post, giving a wrap up to our own outcome, what was resolved, & how.

Our local detailer did an EXCELLENT job on the Bullitt. We are lucky too have a quality team of guys so close to hm.
Detail shop owner resolved all issues seen in pics, on Chrome trim, w/his in-house techniques...,
& on a side note, he suspects the possibility exists that the chromed trim on actual door
<above/below roll up window area>
is more of a type of anodizing, (possibly) than a traditional chroming process. If u lk close, the frnt/rear trim pcs on dr, are not the same appearance of process's, to get the chrome like trim, or perceptive look of it, applied.

Regarding plating strategy of FOMOCO, & its sbilty to resist in depth pitting, his facility was able to remove all the
"Rust appearing" pitting/corrosion areas on the trim on both sides ....
100% gone.. Looks great!!

The door window glass streak, that they were most skeptical of fixing, w/abrasive polish, if I understood him correctly, did infact remove the lightning bolt, upper circular blob, anomaly in the glass. Bird crap? Likely. Rather acidic? Likely.

The dealership took care of business, after we employed typical "Dale Carnegie" strategies. Being old school, I still use 1940s negotiation tactics.
(had box set of Dale's resolution CDs, 20+yrs ago.)
Guessing most here never seen um, CDs, < grin>
but they were once used, post stone tablets, to record information, to be played in cars & hms audibly..
Oh. Yeah.. the Bullitt has a hidden slot for them.
( j/k)

Dealership paid, by Fed Ex Chk, nearly $700,($695) out of there pocket, to compensate us for the needed cleaning of the vehicles, & outlined issues @ start of this post.
We used the detailer's front to rear color correction plan, plus polishing of problem areas, ect, as a springboard for our paint protection pkg.

Then went w/a protective film by STEK on entire front end, mirrors, A-post pillars, bottom of rockers front to bk, from body line down, and behind rear whl opening. There version of a
Trac-Pac protection clear wrap.

Then finished off the remaining exposed DHG Clear coated paint w/complete Ceramic coating.

Doing a suggested free follow-up visit in 7-10 days, where they do a free wash of car, and also go bk over the film edges for visual examination for any imperfections post application. Examining film for any anomalies or a corner that may be slightly lifting. Havnt seen anything yet, but there trained eye likely knows the pitfall area's of most car panel's, as they do a lot of GT350s, and Mustang in general, both old/new.

As much as we liked the Shadow Black on red cars, we are glad we went w/DHG.
As I had a deal nearly inked,
(bout as close as possible, w/o purchase complete, and went green instead).

If there is such thing as a happy ending too a dealership conflict/resolution..
Feeling we have had 1.
All necessary repairs/reconditioning are done...
A $695 dealership kickback Chk... which unintentionally compensated us for not just the detailing needed to fix car, but to do the necessary prep of car, for the combination of 2 forms of paint protection.
We are also likely now up, 'plus 1',
regarding the tool left in our engine bay...

Since dealership is 2.5 hrs away,
(Delivered car @ no chrg, on trailer) & we have no plans to go 5.5+hrs rnd trip in that direction any time soon. They know of it, & can send a UPS call tag if they want.
So the
'Sacrifice To the GT Intake Man. Gods' ,
laid upon the induction alter of the 308"'s 1.56 Hp per CI is greatly appreciated.
A small animal would hav just been too Biblical.

< wasnt that long ago, a good pwr plant built w/2 valve pushrod heads, @ ^^ 1.5hp per inch, was a rather stout street/strip eng build.
A typical 408" Cleveland equiv., would be = too 635+Hp.
Kaase's street Boss 9 doesnt really eclipse that ratio, @770hp w/521".

We built 2.2 hp per. .. In '88, w/a 500" Boss 9,
N/A gas mill.. Thought we were cutting a fat hog @ over 800 lb's @7k rpm & 1100+hp @8k rpm.

Our Point? For a pump gas perf. pwr plant, the Ford 308" DOH_cammer is a small & sweet pkg, for runnin on only ~~21% O2.

We are breaking it in somewhat gingerly,
yet still, in a moment of weakness, easily got a
3 gear scratch @ low rpm shifts,
(Well below 5 grand).

Overall, our story, and experience...
car / dealership / detailer...
is well beyond satisfactory, too date.

Thx again for everyone's input/opinions, to help both diagnose, and come up likely solutions...

<vs alternatives, like-non-constructive criticism>

Thx again All !!@@!!,
Regards

20200616_072449.jpg

20200616_064736.jpg
Sponsored