Sponsored

Broken Key

Targa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I accidently dropped my key only a couple of feet on tiled floor and shock horror the boot opener bit has snapped in two and came off. I have dropped numerous keys in the past by accident and no key has ever broken, they are usually very tough.so very disappointed!!

I have the spare key but should this be replaces/repaired under warranty? or even if I have to pay - can it be repaired? Can I order just the broken part of the key and snap it in?

Would be grateful for any comments/advice please
mustang key.JPG
Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would be absolutely AMAZED if Ford are able to supply you with just that part.

If I were you, assuming the button itself still works, I'd switch to the other fob and leave the broken one as the spare, then in the future if something happens to that one, THEN it's time to pay out for a new one.

I'd put money on one of those fobs being into three figures once coding has been added on.

I happened to be in a Pug dealership recently and a woman came to the service desk to complain her new fob wasn't working.

"Oh yes madam, your husband did pay for it but it hasn't been coded to your car. That's extra."

Another £40/50 IIRC, on top of whatever the fob itself cost.

Why on earth would anyone want a new fob that WASN'T coded to their car?! Just have the one price that includes it! :frusty:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Why is coding a key so expensive? Seems like it's one of those "because we can" charges. Can it be done somewhere other than the dealer?

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Why is coding a key so expensive? Seems like it's one of those "because we can" charges. Can it be done somewhere other than the dealer?
Exactly right.

I believe it can, yes, although given Ford's own ability to source UK Mustang parts right now, I'm not sure how successful you'd be in trying to track down an independent that can either supply or code the fob.

OP
OP

Targa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Forget the code - please talk about my key !!!!

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You want an unbroken fob then you're going to need it coding because as I said, I'd be amazed if Ford can supply you just that button.

Also, unless your dealer is feeling exceptionally generous :lol: then you're going to be paying full whack for it.

Why do you think it should be replaced under warranty? You dropped it, it broke.

OP
OP

Targa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I know I dropped it but I think it shouldn't have broken, keys should be resistant to knocks to a degree, hence I think it should/could/might get replaced under warranty. I will obviously pay for the part if available but not going to get a new key for now.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I know I dropped it but I think it shouldn't have broken, keys should be resistant to knocks to a degree, hence I think it should/could/might get replaced under warranty. I will obviously pay for the part if available but not going to get a new key for now.
Have you tried to repair it? I've repaired a cracked Vauxhall key in the past with superglue. My stupid fault for rolling over it :D Never had a key break from dropping it though but that one held together perfectly well as a second key...

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you super glue the plastic bits back together, is it a case of just clicking it back into its housing?...Try it!

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
So you drop a key, made of plastic (which is quite brittle) onto tiled floor and then imply that it's somehow sub-standard? Seriously?

To what degree do you think they should be impervious to damage?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but you broke it. Replaced under warranty - Really? Accept the consequence of you actions and chalk it up to experience.

This will also be Ford's view (and this case, quite rightly). Sorry.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I accidently dropped my key only a couple of feet on tiled floor and shock horror the boot opener bit has snapped in two and came off. I have dropped numerous keys in the past by accident and no key has ever broken, they are usually very tough.so very disappointed!!

I have the spare key but should this be replaces/repaired under warranty? or even if I have to pay - can it be repaired? Can I order just the broken part of the key and snap it in?

Would be grateful for any comments/advice please
I note you're a (previous) BMW owner. My BMW fob has taken a lot of abuse without significant damage but the Mustang one isn't of the same quality.
For what its worth I think you're either diy repairing or forking out. Dropping the thing isn't going to be covered under the warranty and the "button" is highly unlikely to be an individually available part.
I could be wrong...

OP
OP

Targa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Thanks all for your input. I will happily pay for the key or repair, or will do a DIY. However, I wouldn't have expected a key to break when dropped and it has never happened to any cars I have owned before. I do think the standard of key is sub-standard. But no big deal - was just gathering opinion and some tips/advice. Thanks again
Sponsored