Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
After 9 years, I'm going to finally see about getting this serviced. Seems to lose about 1s/hr.

Maybe trade for a Super Avenger...that's what I REALLY wanted to begin with.
20230529_143542.jpg
So how does servicing work? Do you just take it to a Breitling AD, or is there more to it.

Also don't these need regular maintenance, so like are you supposed to just go by time intervals, or just do it when it starts to lose time? I remember when I got my Breitling, they were telling me average service is ~5 years.

I don't wear my Breitling as much compared to my other watches so the gears are still fresh. Was just wondering how servicing works because I think some of my watches might be needing it next year 😅

Last edited:

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
So how does servicing work? Do you just take it to a Breitling AD, or is there more to it.

Also don't these need regular maintenance, so like are you supposed to just go by time intervals, or just do it when it starts to lose time? I remember when I got my Breitling, they were telling me average service is ~5 years.

I don't wear my Breitling as much compared to my other watches so the gears are still fresh. Was just wondering how servicing works because I think some of watches might be needing it next year 😅
When I bought it they told me service intervals are roughly 5 years, just like you said.

Mine's been losing time for a few years now, but I wear it very infrequently...I can't wear any jewelry at work so I wear it on special or long weekends like this Holiday, if I remember lol...mainly because I have to set the time and date every time I wear it.

I have a Wolf watch winder which is supposed to be one of the best from what I read 10 years ago. But I think that watch sitting on that winder for months at a time probably wasn't good for it. Just a gut feeling.

Servicing used to be about $500...not sure if it's still the same or not. I was going to mail it in, but there's a couple of AD's and a Breitling Boutique in Atlanta about 85 miles from me. So I think I'm going to take it there and talk to them in person. Might go this coming weekend and let you know what I find out...

What I've been told, and I haven't researched this, is the oils in the watch are probably drying up or something, (I've had the watch for 9 years) and causing drag on the moving parts which is slowing the watch down. Or something to that effect anyway, but it makes sense to me.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
When I bought it they told me service intervals are roughly 5 years, just like you said.

Mine's been losing time for a few years now, but I wear it very infrequently...I can't wear any jewelry at work so I wear it on special or long weekends like this Holiday, if I remember lol...mainly because I have to set the time and date every time I wear it.

I have a Wolf watch winder which is supposed to be one of the best from what I read 10 years ago. But I think that watch sitting on that winder for months at a time probably wasn't good for it. Just a gut feeling.

Servicing used to be about $500...not sure if it's still the same or not. I was going to mail it in, but there's a couple of AD's and a Breitling Boutique in Atlanta about 85 miles from me. So I think I'm going to take it there and talk to them in person. Might go this coming weekend and let you know what I find out...

What I've been told, and I haven't researched this, is the oils in the watch are probably drying up or something, (I've had the watch for 9 years) and causing drag on the moving parts which is slowing the watch down. Or
something to that effect anyway, but it makes sense to me.
You are 100% correct. Checkout Youtube for some excellent videos on watch maintenance and restoration. They are truly amazing when you realize that everything they are showing you is under a microscope.
Checkout this gentleman. Excellent stuff.

The average for servicing is 4-6 years. In a cruel twist of fate our better watches require more service than or work/daily watches. I have Seiko’s that have never been serviced and still keep great time.

I would check locally for a watch dealer that has a watchmaker on the premises. It will usually be cheaper than sending it to the manufacturer and the work will be individualized. I found a Rolex dealer a few towns from me who had an awesome watchmaker on site and he serviced all my watches.

Watch winders are 50/50. Some folks like them, other do not. I use to use them and stopped doing so. Guess who told me they weren’t necessary? Yes, my watchmaker.

By the way @fast306stang, nine years is a long time. If love to see some pics of the movement if at all possible.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Watch winders are 50/50. Some folks like them, other do not. I use to use them and stopped doing so. Guess who told me they weren’t necessary? Yes, my watchmaker.

By the way @fast306stang, nine years is a long time. If love to see some pics of the movement if at all possible.
I agree that watch winders are not necessary for maintenance purposes, but for watches that I go a few days without wearing at a time, it is nice to not have to reset it or just adjust the date after month changes sometimes.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I agree that watch winders are not necessary for maintenance purposes, but for watches that I go a few days without wearing at a time, it is nice to not have to reset it or just adjust the date after month changes sometimes.
Totally understand. That‘s why I had them originally. But my old watch guy equated keeping your watch wound all the time was the equivalent to running your Mustang’s engine all the time. He said all mechanical mechanisms need to rest every now and then.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
You are 100% correct. Checkout Youtube for some excellent videos on watch maintenance and restoration. They are truly amazing when you realize that everything they are showing you is under a microscope.
Checkout this gentleman. Excellent stuff.

The average for servicing is 4-6 years. In a cruel twist of fate our better watches require more service than or work/daily watches. I have Seiko’s that have never been serviced and still keep great time.

I would check locally for a watch dealer that has a watchmaker on the premises. It will usually be cheaper than sending it to the manufacturer and the work will be individualized. I found a Rolex dealer a few towns from me who had an awesome watchmaker on site and he serviced all my watches.

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to write that!

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Lol, some of my quartz watches haven’t been reset since the last daylight savings time change… at least the autos / manuals get set whenever I wear them. I’m a winner if I wear them often enough that they’re still running. Really need to finish that watch box project…
IMG_5007.jpeg

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Lol, some of my quartz watches haven’t been reset since the last daylight savings time change… at least the autos / manuals get set whenever I wear them. I’m a winner if I wear them often enough that they’re still running. Really need to finish that watch box project…
IMG_5007.jpeg
I love those NATO/ZULU straps! Been wanting to get one for the B

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
IMG_5007.jpeg
That looks like fun collection. How about some pics of your favorites?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I love those NATO/ZULU straps! Been wanting to get one for the B
I love them - I'll put anything on a NATO and I have a drawer full of them. Too hot in TX most of the year to not have a pile of NATO straps.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
That looks like fun collection. How about some pics of your favorites?
😂 those are generally my favorites… some get more wrist time than others, though. Over half of these are projects and I tend to wear those most since I have an emotional investment in them. Some projects are from scratch, others are more like restorations of great old watches, and some are waiting on work from me or actual professionals. Most are also supremely affordable - minus the blood, sweat & tears of the projects.

I really only have three truly valuable watches - second from the left of the first photo is the Omega Seamaster 300, and the Royal Navy Hamilton chronograph next to it on the right. On the far right of that photo is the Longines tuning fork skin diver with the orange bezel. The rest of the watches are in the $100-$700 range.

Second photo has a bunch of great old Seiko’s that are in the works - all need a movement service. Bronze ones along the bottom are all new-ish and don’t need anything. The non-Seiko’s in the rest of the box are generally projects that have been gone through and don’t need anything either. I have a couple other projects that are so bad they are boxed up in the garage waiting time and motivation…

IMG_5009.jpeg
IMG_5008.jpeg

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Got a couple of NATO straps to change things up. I love the Gulf Oil colors but I wasn't crazy about it on the watch itself. I've been forcing myself to wear that strap and now I actually really like it...

The red/gray/black looks pretty good too.

20230604_110312.jpg
20230604_110304.jpg
20230603_215502.jpg
20230603_215529.jpg

OP
OP
ClayDee

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
Got a couple of NATO straps to change things up. I love the Gulf Oil colors but I wasn't crazy about it on the watch itself. I've been forcing myself to wear that strap and now I actually really like it...

The red/gray/black looks pretty good too.

20230604_110312.jpg
20230604_110304.jpg
20230603_215502.jpg
20230603_215529.jpg

Looks really nice!
Sponsored