Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There is a severe shortage on most of Rolex's most popular model. Getting one from an AD is almost impossible unless you are a "very good" customer. Otherwise you get on a waitlist that could last years. So the alternative is aftermarket. And that's where the markups occur (AD's are not allowed to do this). Where are the aftermarket dealers getting them? From the AD's, of course. AD's are moving some of their less popular models (that Rolex insists they buy) to the aftermarket and the deal is that have to include some of the hot models as well. Sounds like a cluster, right? Well it is. Welcome to Rolex.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Because they're in such demand with little supply. I priced out a GMT Master II. Over 20k. And that's at a discount jeweler.
I just don’t understand the reason a “demand” exists.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Because people believe Rolex is a status symbol.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The people believe Rolex is a status symbol.
That sounds like a marketing generated psychological manipulation based on an an individuals need to feel important.
On the other hand, they are really nice watches.
I think I’d probably want to donate to my favorite dog rescue if I had that level of discretionary income and keep my Breitling. I feel knowing who you are is much more important than what you have.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Actually, Rolex is the worst watch for keeping time. The largest market for Rolex is the Arab world. The largest Rolex store is in Dubai.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Because people believe Rolex is a status symbol.
That's because it is. Now part of that is certainly their marketing efforts but it is also because it is an incredibly made watch.

Actually, Rolex is the worst watch for keeping time. The largest market for Rolex is the Arab world. The largest Rolex store is in Dubai.
I'm sorry Matt, but that is a ridiculous statement. I already said that Rolex is not my favorite brand but to say they are bad timekeepers is simply untrue. Rolex has been using COSC rated chronometers forever. They are as accurate as any other COSC rated chronometer. Where they are sold has absolutely nothing to do with their quality. The Rolex Shops in Las Vegas and New York are pretty impressive too.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Actually, Rolex is the worst watch for keeping time. The largest market for Rolex is the Arab world.
That's because it is. Now part of that is certainly their marketing efforts but it is also because it is an incredibly made watch.

I'm sorry Matt, but that is a ridiculous statement. I already said that Rolex is not my favorite brand but to say they are bad timekeepers is simply untrue. Rolex has been using COSC rated chronometers forever. They are as accurate as any other COSC rated chronometer. Where they are sold has absolutely nothing to do with their quality. The Rolex Shops in Las Vegas and New York are pretty impressive too.
Sorry man, It is a well known fact among jewelers that Rolex is the worst at timekeeping.
I did not mean to imply their selling location had anything to do with quality.

Last edited:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have never heard such a thing. Please show me something in print that backs up this assertion.
A Rolex like any other automatic needs maintenance. This will affect performance if not kept up. A friend of mine own a Rolex. He agrees. It keeps terrible time.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
A Rolex like any other automatic needs maintenance. This will affect performance if not kept up. A friend of mine own a Rolex. He agrees. It keeps terrible time.
If that is the case, and I'm not doubting it, the watch needs to be serviced. At the very least it needs to be regulated. Of course, it also depends on your friends meaning of "terrible". If he is looking for +1/-1 second a day tell him to go buy a Timex. If he means losing or gaining minutes per day, the watch is broken. Just because it's a Rolex doesn't mean it can't happen.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that is the case, and I'm not doubting it, the watch needs to be serviced. At the very least it needs to be regulated. Of course, it also depends on your friends meaning of "terrible". If he is looking for +1/-1 second a day tell him to go buy a Timex. If he means losing or gaining minutes per day, the watch is broken. Just because it's a Rolex doesn't mean it can't happen.
My retired senior corporate exec brother has some 18K all gold, bracelet and all Rolex. I don’t think it was ever serviced since his retirement 12 years ago.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Any of the mechanical movements that are "Certified Chronometers" or a "COSC Chronometer" all meet the same criteria for accuracy:

One of the criteria for « chronometer » certification is the average daily rate on the first 10 days of testing: from -4 sec to +6 sec., or up to 10 seconds per day. A tolerance which, as such, may appear high, but which, in reality, is the result of an extraordinary requirement.
https://www.cosc.swiss/en/quality/precision

I think a Rolex should be able to perform at COSC levels without drama - their movements have done so for decades, and their technology has been refined over time as well. That said, there are a LOT of movements that can achieve that level of performance. Quartz watches are typically going to be 1.0 second per day or better, but they're not as interesting.

Maintenance of all of these mechanical movements is required just like you'd maintain your engine. Clean everything, replace worn parts, change the oil, assembly by a trained technician... they're little engines after all, and that's 90% of the fun for me.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any of the mechanical movements that are "Certified Chronometers" or a "COSC Chronometer" all meet the same criteria for accuracy:

One of the criteria for « chronometer » certification is the average daily rate on the first 10 days of testing: from -4 sec to +6 sec., or up to 10 seconds per day. A tolerance which, as such, may appear high, but which, in reality, is the result of an extraordinary requirement.
https://www.cosc.swiss/en/quality/precision

I think a Rolex should be able to perform at COSC levels without drama - their movements have done so for decades, and their technology has been refined over time as well. That said, there are a LOT of movements that can achieve that level of performance. Quartz watches are typically going to be 1.0 second per day or better, but they're not as interesting.

Maintenance of all of these mechanical movements is required just like you'd maintain your engine. Clean everything, replace worn parts, change the oil, assembly by a trained technician... they're little engines after all, and that's 90% of the fun for me.
Come to find out my $300 Glycine combat sub automatic is as accurate as my cosc certified whatever.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Come to find out my $300 Glycine combat sub automatic is as accurate as my cosc certified whatever.
The main difference is the certificate... all of the certified movements will have an actual certificate at COSC. That’s an extra expense that you won’t find in a modern $300 watch, but it may perform just as well. My Glycine is also a 5-10 second watch.
Sponsored