Brake Kit

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 GT Premium, non performance pack. I know the front brakes do most of the braking and I am not tracking the car, but I truly hate the look of the rear caliper. What is the most cost effective brake kit for front and rears? I was looking at the Baer SS4+ Drag Race Brake System which states it has all of the benefits of the bigger system in a smaller package with less weight.

Is there any detriment to getting this system in comparison to my stock brakes? Benefits? As always, thanks for your help!
Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I would say not having a parking brake would be a negative, smaller rotor means less thermal efficiency, miss matched calipers front to rear.

You could go the way of the GT350 Brake kit, but you would most likely need different wheels because of the size and increase in rear width.

OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would say not having a parking brake would be a negative, smaller rotor means less thermal efficiency, miss matched calipers front to rear.

You could go the way of the GT350 Brake kit, but you would most likely need different wheels because of the size and increase in rear width.
Would love to have the GT350 kit but it's very expensive! Also I would go with the Baer Kit front and rear so no mis matched calipers. I don't have the PP so no brembo at this time. I thought this would be a definite upgrade over my stock brakes I have now?

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to have the GT350 kit but it's very expensive! Also I would go with the Baer Kit front and rear so no mis matched calipers. I don't have the PP so no brembo at this time. I thought this would be a definite upgrade over my stock brakes I have now?

Are you saying the Drag front kit as well? That would definitely be the cheapest way to go for a front rear kit, but I personally would not want brakes that small on a 3800lbs + car.
The GT350 kit can be had for $3700ish with the ford part number and I think around $4000 from Full Tilt Boogie Racing. But then would have to add new wheel costs as well. The tangled web we weave in the aftermarket, lol.

OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are you saying the Drag front kit as well? That would definitely be the cheapest way to go for a front rear kit, but I personally would not want brakes that small on a 3800lbs + car.
The GT350 kit can be had for $3700ish with the ford part number and I think around $4000 from Full Tilt Boogie Racing. But then would have to add new wheel costs as well. The tangled web we weave in the aftermarket, lol.
Attached a photo for those who haven't seen them. I have the same concerns, but then the description says it contains all the benefits of their larger brake system, just in a smaller package. It also states specifically made for HEAVY, FAST cars. Maybe more people can chime in on this. I have asked them for clarification as well.
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 2.33.23 PM.jpg

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It is your car, but those are going to look small as hell behind your wheels and are designed specifically for heavy, fast drag cars that rely on their brake to launch or stage the car. I do not see anywhere a mention of heavy fast street cars that see repeated use. Best of luck to you.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
I have the rears, not installed yet, you will loose the parking brake.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Get a set of caliper covers and call it a day!

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Here is my opinion

IMO, if you're going to "do stuff with the brakes" or swap out brakes, either for appearances or to gain a little braking power or a combination of both, you have four options. I have a '17 non-PP GT Premium so we basically have the same car.

I just went through this same process. I've done the homework for you! :thumbsup: These options were my same exact options

In order of increasing cost you can:

1. Buy two sets of higher friction/more aggressive pads for front and rear, get the rotors lightly cut in prep for new pads and call it a day.
  2. Buy a set of Brakemotive Rotors (they are PowerStop rotors sold under a different name...my rotors shipped from PowerStop in a PS box) for the fronts only, in the stock rotor size and new pads front/rear.
  3. Same as #3 but add the rear PS rotors/pads too.
  4. Upgrade your front calipers to the 6-pot Brembos from the PP, add PS rotors front/rear with the fronts sized for the PP Mustang (15" rotors) and more aggressive pads.
I went with #4. Yes it's the most expensive, but I will be doing the work myself. Also, the rotors will match front/rear. The rear caliper is still the stock 2-pot job in silver/gray color but I bought a G2 Caliper Paint kit in black so the rear will match the front...color-wise, anyway.

I also added Steeda stainless brake lines front/rear. Absolutely not necessary for a street car, but since I'm going to be tearing everything apart anyway, I might as well add the final "cool factor" ingredient.

I looked "a little bit" for a rear Brembo that will fit the Mustang, but aside from the GT350 brake kit at $4K-ish, I didn't find anything. I am sure that a rear Brembo from some other make/model of car will fit a G6 Mustang, but I didn't take my research that far.

See my parts list, cost and other ideas in a thread I made about this swap, here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83813&highlight=brembo&page=2

I am waiting for my calipers to come in. There's a 50-50% shot that I will not be doing this swap until early next month due to work and other obligations. But, stranger things have happened. If I find a full day that I can wrench, I'll do it. If not, it waits until early-July.

Hope this helps you. GL.
Sponsored

Last edited: