Sponsored

brake fluid change using dot 4 instead of dot 4 lv on ecoboost premium w/ pp, need to do over?

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
As part of service approaching 100k miles, I changed all fluids on the car. The brake fluid cap says "DOT 4", not "DOT 4 LV." I thought it was a no brainer. This car is the 2.3L Ecoboost premium with the performance pack (4 piston front brakes, vented rotors front & rear). I used Prestone Dot 4 synthetic as it was what was on the shelf in larger capacities suitable for flush/fill. Now I am reading threads stating that for the 4 piston performance pack, DOT 4 LV is specified. Note that I did not use Forscan service procedure to flush the ABS module because I didn't realize it might be necessary (old school approach LOL). I simply used the old school method of having a person pump the brakes while I opened and closed the bleeder valves. This is a daily driver in an area where average winter temps are 40F (Seattle).

Will the higher viscosity brake fluid damage the ABS module or cause any long-term issues?

I can't find any specs for the Prestone DOT 4 synthetic other than the classic "meets or exceeds DOT 4 spec."

Is it advisable to change the fluid at this point or wait a couple of years for it to go amber so that the flush will be easier to differentiate new from old?

Right now, it will be impossible to tell the new fluid from the old based on color so I would have to arbitrarily guestimate when the old fluid is out of the system (open/close the valves 10x for each caliper, etc.).

Recommended fluids appear to be Motorcraft PM-20, ATE SL6, Bosch ESI6-32N, Pentosin DOT 4 LV. The Bosch fluid is the most widely available and is likely rebranded ATE SL6. I could see the change in fluid color I could probably complete the job with 32oz. Flying blind just pumping randomly, I'm sure I'd need 2x 32oz of fluid. I could pump the DOT 4 out of the system without refilling the reservoir but that will leave the master cylinder potentially air locked. Didn't realize that DOT 4 had so many variants LOL.

As an aside, I also painted the calipers with Rustoleum red caliper paint. It came out pretty nice but the paint had a tendency to fish eye over any spec of brake dust. The paint is also very easy to remove with brake clean so future cleaning will need to be with simple purple.

20231103_131639.jpg

1699042755828.png
Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Low Viscosity Brake Fluid is designed for ABS and Stability control. Also has a slighter higher boiling point than the Prestone DOT. Most National Autoparts chains stock the Pentosin Dot 4 LV fluid in Liter Cans. Pentosin is what is in the Motorcraft bottles.

OP
OP

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Follow up info-- called service manager at local dealership. He said that on a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, DOT 4 is what they use to service these, not LV. The owner's manual doesn't specify. The cap only says DOT 4.

I contacted Prestone for their cold weather viscosity numbers on their Synthetic Dot 4 (not the Dot 4 Max) which they claim it is 1048mm2/s @ -40C. Standard DOT 4 could be as high as 1800mm2/s. The ISO spec for standard DOT 4 has a max of 1500mm2/s. Typical LV DOT 4 fluids have viscosity of less than 750mm2/s. In short, the readily available over the counter Prestone synthetic DOT 4 has a cold viscosity that falls somewhere between LV and standard DOT 4.

This is a daily driver and not a track car, so I'm leaving well enough alone. Brake feel is responsive with no observable change over prior fluid.

I wonder if some of the newer cars with the PP have LV or low viscosity specified on the fill caps or if they all use the same generic parts?

brakefillcap.jpg

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Follow up info-- called service manager at local dealership. He said that on a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, DOT 4 is what they use to service these, not LV. The owner's manual doesn't specify. The cap only says DOT 4.

I contacted Prestone for their cold weather viscosity numbers on their Synthetic Dot 4 (not the Dot 4 Max) which they claim it is 1048mm2/s @ -40C. Standard DOT 4 could be as high as 1800mm2/s. The ISO spec for standard DOT 4 has a max of 1500mm2/s. Typical LV DOT 4 fluids have viscosity of less than 750mm2/s. In short, the readily available over the counter Prestone synthetic DOT 4 has a cold viscosity that falls somewhere between LV and standard DOT 4.

This is a daily driver and not a track car, so I'm leaving well enough alone. Brake feel is responsive with no observable change over prior fluid.

I wonder if some of the newer cars with the PP have LV or low viscosity specified on the fill caps or if they all use the same generic parts?

brakefillcap.jpg
20231117_184032.jpg

20231117_184020.jpg

20231117_183957.jpg
Sponsored