Sponsored

Best Drying Shamois or Towel?

AndyLifts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 05A1
My buddy has this Shammy, and it works wonders. It dries the car when you go over it once. You don't have to dry the same spot twice. He got it in 1987, and it works very well. I was wondering if there was a shammy that works like that? Where I dont have to go over the car twice.
Sponsored

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My buddy has this Shammy, and it works wonders. It dries the car when you go over it once. You don't have to dry the same spot twice. He got it in 1987, and it works very well. I was wondering if there was a shammy that works like that? Where I dont have to go over the car twice.
Chamois are great at drying, but they can be rough on modern finishes. A high quality microfiber (less than 30% polyester and more than 800 GSM) is what most niche level pros recommend nowadays. This is what I use and I love it. One dries my entire car and then some and you can blot dry rather than drag and it's much softer than a chamois.

http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-madness/microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy-25-x-17/

Edit - just saw you're in Mississauga. I get mine from my detailer in Mississauga who brings them in from Germany. www.gtaindetail.com

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Chamois are great at drying, but they can be rough on modern finishes. A high quality microfiber (less than 30% polyester and more than 800 GSM) is what most niche level pros recommend nowadays. This is what I use and I love it. One dries my entire car and then some and you can blot dry rather than drag and it's much softer than a chamois.

http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-madness/microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy-25-x-17/

Edit - just saw you're in Mississauga. I get mine from my detailer in Mississauga who brings them in from Germany. www.gtaindetail.com
What Roger said x10000. I've used chamois, waffle weave, microfibers etc. on drying. Chamois were nice, but were way too rough. MicroFibers were soft, but never really held in much water. Waffle Weave were great balance of soft and holding water but still wanted better. That's where the Dry Me Crazy that is linked above came in.

It is seriously the best drying towel I've ever used. It's super soft and holds in water like crazy. I can wash three vehicles and dry all three off with it and not even wring it out. Easy to wash too. Just throw in the washer with microfiber detergent, and toss in the dryer on air only. Good as new.

Last edited:

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
So Modern finishes are not as hard or scratch resistant as older cars? that seems like the reverse of evolution, a natural Chamois have always seemed to work well for me over the last 25 years

Sponsored

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
I hope y'all are using a QD while drying. Drying without any lubricant will scratch the paint over time, even if it's MF or another really soft material.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
So Modern finishes are not as hard or scratch resistant as older cars? that seems like the reverse of evolution, a natural Chamois have always seemed to work well for me over the last 25 years
Natural Chamois or not, paint, due to EPA, et al.., regulations (solvents and so forth) is less durable, and is applied thinner than 25 years ago.

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Unfortunately not. The natural evolution would suggest more scratch and chemical resistance but the issue is environmental concerns. In 2006 all manufacturers in the EU were forced to move to water based paint. In 2007 the US did the same. In 2009 the Japanese and other Asian manufacturers followed suit. Modern water based paint sprays like a slurry so the paint has more orange peel and because it is water based it is softer. Because machines have gotten better it is also thinner, to save money. So basically OEM auto paint is as bad as its ever been re: durability/maintenance etc. Its become much more difficult to deal with hence clear bras, ceramic coatings, etc etc. Like so many things you have to wonder if if it'd be easier to just keep lacquer based paint and skip all the trouble but our governments have decided its better to use water based paint, which means less durable finishes, more work for owners, etc etc.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I hope y'all are using a QD while drying. Drying without any lubricant will scratch the paint over time, even if it's MF or another really soft material.
Yep I usually give each panel a quick spritz of QD whilst drying. I also happen to like the scent of Adams QD so it gives me an excuse to use it :D

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
I bought the Metro Master Blaster and it was money well spent. Blow the car off and follow up with the quick detailer. No need to worry about scratching with towels.

Sponsored

Crazy Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Race Red
I use Meguiar's Water Magnet.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I bought the Metro Master Blaster and it was money well spent. Blow the car off and follow up with the quick detailer. No need to worry about scratching with towels.
I laughed thinking we're talking about $10 products and you pop in with a $380 one.

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Natural Chamois or not, paint, due to EPA, et al.., regulations (solvents and so forth) is less durable, and is applied thinner than 25 years ago.
That does make sense, I forgot about the EPA and all the regulations.