Sponsored

Anyone in San Diego/Temecula have a McLeod RXT and stock shifter set-up?

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
My mechanic keeps telling me this difficult shifting is a normal aspect of an aftermarket clutch. I don't believe him. I want to put it to rest by testing the feel of someone else's set-up and then having them test mine. I'm not asking to drive your vehicle, just to row through the gears. Specifically first and second.

I'd be willing to come to you and pay if it means I can get an answer. All the local speed shops want $150+ just to check the damn car out. I just need some verification as to what it should feel like so that I can have an idea of what to expect and then go after my mechanic.

Thanks everybody. :headbang:
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Darn, I was literally in SD with my car from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

If you can't get anyone local, I can drive down early Saturday morning from LA.

Sounds like something is definitely wrong, though. My RXT and steel flywheel shift great.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Darn, I was literally in SD with my car from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

If you can't get anyone local, I can drive down early Saturday morning from LA.

Sounds like something is definitely wrong, though. My RXT and steel flywheel shift great.
Damn it! Just missed you. I'll be working Thursday-Saturday otherwise I'd be willing to drive up to you.

That's what everyone keeps telling me. I don't know how else to say it to my mechanic, I want the damn transmission opened up and everything checked out. Been going to the guy for over 5 years, you'd think he'd hook me up with this.

Do you think an aftermarket clutch will effect my warranty? I'm so desperate at this point I'm ready to take it to the dealer. I've read horror stories of synchros going out and costing a fortune. All the local speed shops I've gotten ahold of have a lengthy wait time before they can check my car out. All the indy mechanics don't want to touch a potentially botched twin-disc install.

:headbonk:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It all depends on the dealer. I imagine they will be hesitant to take responsibility for anything.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
It all depends on the dealer. I imagine they will be hesitant to take responsibility for anything.
Did you follow the recommended 500-mile break-in? I see on some other forums that people are saying that they had some issues with the clutch and shifting till they started ragging on it a bit. I guess things broke in after some abuse.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I did follow it, for the most part. It recommends 500 miles of city driving and I drove a total of 500 miles with maybe 40-60 of those miles being highway. The remaining 450~ miles of city were in traffic, so it got lots of rowing action. I shifted at or below 3K except for a handful of times during that period as well. I definitely had clutch chatter from a stop, but it all virtually went away within a few days. Shifts were always smooth though. It does like more RPM from a stop and it does like to be slipped slightly more in stop and go, but it works perfectly for me.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Why did you upgrade it in the first place?

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Why did you upgrade it in the first place?
I believe his stock clutch was defective and the dealership did not warranty it. Still a great clutch either way.
Stock clutch gave up on me and then I started seeing more and more threads on here with the same thing happening to other people. I figured I'd be better off getting an upgraded clutch now rather than replacing it again later on when I can afford boost.
Sponsored