Sponsored

Anyone Have Option to get a free carfax?

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Looking to sell/trade my 2020 Ridgeline. I NEED to get back into a DD CAR!!!!!
Has a rebuilt title and I'd like to see how they categorize it? Minor/medium etc. Costs $45.
Think I'm going to take a bath but won't know bad till I look to trade or sell private.

TIA!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it's a rebuilt title, was it salvage, theft, flood, etc?

The Service should categorize it as the VIN is flagged or documented in any Insurance or DMV database.

If the vehicle was a prior wreck that was rebuildable, depending on what State it is, it will show as a "Rebuilt" OR will remain as "salvage". For instance as an example, Illinois uses the word "Rebuilt", NJ uses the word "Salvage"... for the same vehicle that was repaired, State inspected to be suitable for driving, and legally put back on the road again after being "rebuilt".

The term salvage doesn't always mean "junk" or not safe to be driven. It's just a term used by the Industry to mark a vehicle as being totaled out where the cost to repair is 71%-75% of its actual cash value. Once a vehicle hits that mark for repair costs, the industry totals it not because it can't be repaired, but in some instances to repair it isn't worth the labor or time. Yes there are salvaged vehicles that should not be repaired. Some vehicles are also salvaged due to their age and lack of hard parts to repair, where the cost to repair would exceed the ACV.

Think of it this way, you have a vehicle that's only worth $10k. It's hit and to repair it would cost $15k... the insurance is going to total it faster than they would repair it because the cost to repair (in this quick example) exceeds the vehicle ACV. Ins. payout to vehicle owner happens, vehicle and title are now owned by Ins. and vehicle VIN is now flagged "salvage". It will either get auctioned to a scrap yard for recycling or it will get auctioned for others to buy and repair.

Lemon or Buy Backs will always show as a Lemon'd VIN. If it's a Ford, it's flagged in OASIS too.

Today, it doesn't matter if a title can be "washed", the VIN is forever flagged in databases as whatever tagging it has (salvage, flood, theft, Lemon, etc). That VIN history can't be "washed" anymore.