Sponsored

Any Shop Owners? Looking for Input

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Since our current world situation has given plenty of time for self reflection, future plans, etc. I have thought about what I *ideally* would like to do with my life.

I am very fortunate to have worked hard to earn the career I have now. While it’s not making me rich, its blessed me with knowledge and a foundation that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. It pays the bills and has allowed me to start saving for retirement. However, my straw could be drawn tomorrow, I’m working for someone else’s dream and my passion is in cars.

I had a revelation the other day that life is short and it’s important to chase what you dream of and believe in, even if it doesn’t always end up as a success. This is nothing new but hit me in a different way.

With that being said - has anyone owned or are familiar with having an automotive shop? Repair, performance, specially.. etc. What’s your input, suggestions, what does it take to get it off the ground?

Obviously:
Location/building lease
Business loan
Insurance
Equipment
Employees (ASE techs?)
Business plan/services offered
Parts/supply chain

I am comfortable wrenching for basic/moderate tasks, but my background is business. Accounting,
Marketing, Sales, Management.. all things I am familiar with and feel are a big part of business ownership that a lot of owners/operators don’t jump full into.

Looking for input so I can continue to kick this around.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
first two things:
is there room in the market, at least for the services/specifics you would intend to offer?
As you mentioned, employees, are there certified and uncertified techs available?

Often times the easiest way in is to buy out an existing business, maybe from someone looking to retire or such. this can get you a base clientele and you could keep same employees to start with. Or look for a failing shop, if you can identify a way to turn it around quickly/cheaply, such as moving over to a specialty shop if the market is there (such as a Mustang only shop, or diesel shop, etc) and buy that.

Getting a greenfield shop off the ground can be a long an arduous project, with potentially years in the red while you build a client base.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Not to piss on your parade but I don't think you have the correct skill set to start up a shop.

As the owner you are going to have to be the all knowing and all deciding person. What happens when your customers or techs have questions? From my experience the shop owner is like a mentor for the techs, the techs gather around the knowledge and experience that the owner brings to the table and I just don't see you being able to offer that.

Coming from a consumers point of view, why would I go to your shop over any other shop?

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
first two things:
is there room in the market, at least for the services/specifics you would intend to offer?
As you mentioned, employees, are there certified and uncertified techs available?

Often times the easiest way in is to buy out an existing business, maybe from someone looking to retire or such. this can get you a base clientele and you could keep same employees to start with. Or look for a failing shop, if you can identify a way to turn it around quickly/cheaply, such as moving over to a specialty shop if the market is there (such as a Mustang only shop, or diesel shop, etc) and buy that.

Getting a greenfield shop off the ground can be a long an arduous project, with potentially years in the red while you build a client base.
Good points. Thank you. I was doing some reading and the point was also brought up to purchase a turnkey operation for the fact the initial investment of tools/equipment, location, staffing and customer base are already there.

Not to piss on your parade but I don't think you have the correct skill set to start up a shop.

As the owner you are going to have to be the all knowing and all deciding person. What happens when your customers or techs have questions? From my experience the shop owner is like a mentor for the techs, the techs gather around the knowledge and experience that the owner brings to the table and I just don't see you being able to offer that.

Coming from a consumers point of view, why would I go to your shop over any other shop?
Good points and I appreciate your input but disagree a bit.

I am mechanically inclined and have a solid base of automotive knowledge. I’m not a tech but know enough to comprehend complex issues. What I lack in knowledge and ability would definitely have to be supplemented by someone who was a master tech and with that knowledge decisions can be made.

I wouldn’t expect a shop owner to know more than his top tech (but great if they do), but I would expect him to know how to run a business, where as I wouldn’t expect the tech to have that same business minded skill set.

This is where I challenge that.. as a consumer, do you pick a shop based on the owner’s ability to turn a wrench or based on the quality of service and work performed? If I run a successful shop, does it make a difference if I am turning wrenches or not? Obviously finding the right people is a huge part of the equation.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Good points. Thank you. I was doing some reading and the point was also brought up to purchase a turnkey operation for the fact the initial investment of tools/equipment, location, staffing and customer base are already there.

I am mechanically inclined and have a solid base of automotive knowledge. I’m not a tech but know enough to comprehend complex issues. What I lack in knowledge and ability would definitely have to be supplemented by someone who was a master tech and with that knowledge decisions can be made.

I wouldn’t expect a shop owner to know more than his top tech (but great if they do), but I would expect him to know how to run a business, where as I wouldn’t expect the tech to have that same business minded skill set.

This is where I challenge that.. as a consumer, do you pick a shop based on the owner’s ability to turn a wrench or based on the quality of service and work performed? If I run a successful shop, does it make a difference if I am turning wrenches or not? Obviously finding the right people is a huge part of the equation.
I think what he was saying is that in a startup, generally the owner/starter also has to double as the top tech in order to not be paying someone else to do that job, in order to keep costs down initially.

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800

Find the most well known shop of whatever type you plan on opening in your area go down there and ask for the owner, and offer to buy him a beer in exchange for his opinions on what you are thinking about. Or just ask to hear his story and how he came to own the shop will still probably cost you at least a beer or 6.

I can't say I've ever been to a shop where the owner wasn't the wisest and most knowledgeable person there, although the only shops I go to are performance shops for my toys.

As a consumer I pick a shop based on the owner's knowledge and skill set 1st and foremost because I find that is a direct correlation to the quality of the work performed by the shop.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think what he was saying is that in a startup, generally the owner/starter also has to double as the top tech in order to not be paying someone else to do that job, in order to keep costs down initially.
Ok, got it. That makes sense.

Find the most well known shop of whatever type you plan on opening in your area go down there and ask for the owner, and offer to buy him a beer in exchange for his opinions on what you are thinking about. Or just ask to hear his story and how he came to own the shop will still probably cost you at least a beer or 6.

I can't say I've ever been to a shop where the owner wasn't the wisest and most knowledgeable person there, although the only shops I go to are performance shops for my toys.

As a consumer I pick a shop based on the owner's knowledge and skill set 1st and foremost because I find that is a direct correlation to the quality of the work performed by the shop.
A six pack would definitely be worth it, haha.

You make a good point.. there’s probably a stronger correlation of someone looking at a specialty shop and diving into what the owner/operator knows versus a general repair/oil/tire shop where your customers are the average consumer versus and enthusiast.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Ok, got it. That makes sense.

A six pack would definitely be worth it, haha.

You make a good point.. there’s probably a stronger correlation of someone looking at a specialty shop and diving into what the owner/operator knows versus a general repair/oil/tire shop where your customers are the average consumer versus and enthusiast.
I will add something.

Your location is very good for specialized shops. However, there are already a lot of specialized shops there. For some reason Baton Rouge is the same way. If you are die hard Ford, and committed to this, if you want a specialized shop, I would wait a few months, and then open, focusing on the Mustang, and the Bronco. you'll likely need to cater some to camaro/challenger/heep as well. Problem is, for guys looking to get into the Bronco bus here soon, established large shops are going to get dibs from Ford on test mules, so you will be behind the 8-ball most likely.
Sponsored