Sponsored

Another 9 second Hellion car/ now with “predator” 5.2/GT 350 heads

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I use an MSD 2 step, set on 3300rpms, cut 1.4's on 20's. The best thing you can learn about your BL is the Rate feature. Rate determines how fast you bring in the boost, your solenoids take over at 3psi and you can control from there. The days of "boost lag" are over, I hit 21psi/1000whp+ in 1 sec flat off of my launch, then bring in the Rate over 2 stages. 50 is the max setting for BL, which is what you should always use when on the dyno, or you won't make as much whp/tq if it is on a lower setting. You don't want to run 50 on the street or you'll blow the tires off on any boost level. Then, try to find your happy medium with Rate, you want as much Rate as possible without losing traction. If you are losing traction then turn your rate down, keep boost at a constant till you can find the cross roads of max/peak boost with as much Rate as possible, without spinning. That's a lot to take in, but you NEED to become one with your BL, specifically the Rate.

I helped a guy at the strip this weekend with his BL, improved his best et's by .3 in 2 passes, just by showing him how to adjust his Rate.
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the car back to start messing with it.
Sponsored

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm not sure I could have got any closer to 900. Lol 15psi. I'm picking the car up Friday can't wait very happy with the results. Sorry to thread jack.
IMG_3174.PNG

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
No worries .
Good numbers and similar to what I made at same boost with the old motor (alluminator )
The new motor made almost 100 hp more at same boost.Not sure if the gain is from the extra displacement or the GT 350 heads(stock cams ).

I can't catch a break with these cars as motor had to come out as was loosing coolant.
It had been "steaming " out of the exhaust since day one and I always suspected a head gasket issue(also quite a bit of blow by but was told inherent to overbore pistons ) .Coolant loss increased lately without visible external loss and overheated recently(shut it down immediately and had it towed).
There was coolant mixed with oil so I had motor pulled to look at the head gasket .
Looks like that there was an issue with the gaskets around cylinder #6
The there was also some discoloration of the #6 piston and valves so having the motor shipped to MMR to look over along with the heads ...for them to look over .

Since everything is apart again I am considering maybe upgrading the cams.
I had asked my tuner about "turbo" cams, When the motor was being put together the first time but he thought driveabilty woukd suffer.

Any thoughts on the GT 350 spec cams(GT firing order ) with a turbo set up ?
They have 14 mm lift (intake and exhaust ) with 275 duration .
I will need to switch to the GT 350 rollers(now have the MMR modified to use with GT cams/350 heads).

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The motor in the KB car also developed a coolant leak ....
That turned out to be a cracked block in the valley .
The crack is not visible but when pressure tested you can see the coolant leaking .
That block was nonsleeved with water jacket supports.MMR said that may have contribute to the block cracking (said they have seen this before) .
It was making almost 1000 rwhp on the dyno with the 3.2 KB/3.5 pulley /20 percent lower.
Car also has GT 350 heads and stock cams .I was seeing 22-23 psi on the dyno which I thought was high for the pulley combo .

I had already planned on swapping the block with another sleeved 5.2 which I had built over the winter which is ready to ship . I already have a built Tremec to swap at the same time but I though I would have time to try for 9's with the old block and the MT82.
I think I have made up my mind to do the COMP "stage 2" blower cams with the new motor-will also be upgrading the valve springs which I did not do the first time around like I did with the heads in the Hellion car)

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Damn man who's doing the tuning? I'm still on stock block and stock tranny. Hoping I can get 6 months out of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSS is tuning the Hellion car and Lund the KB car .
Don't think the issues are tune related .

Never had much luck with the motors in this cars.
I was on my third engine in my 12 when I sold it.MT 82 did hold up to 800 rwhp and 100's of passes up to 10.3@138 before auto swap .
" built" used 6r80 I bought for the auto swap did not make it though dataloggind before having to be rebuilt .

I am on my 3rd motor in each of the 15' s and hoping 3rd time lucky .
Tranny in the Hellion car has been built as started slipping early on .MT 82 and RXT(uses previously in my 12) had not slipped a beat despite many dyno pulls to 950 rwhp but very few passes .

I spent all winter getting the cars "fine tuned" on the dyno and unable to get one pass in before the motors have to come out .

That's why I am leaving the GT 350 bone stock!(well except for flex tune)
Lol

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
TSS is tuning the Hellion car and Lund the KB car .
Don't think the issues are tune related .

Never had much luck with the motors in this cars.
I was on my third engine in my 12 when I sold it.MT 82 did hold up to 800 rwhp and 100's of passes up to 10.3@138 before auto swap .
" built" used 6r80 I bought for the auto swap did not make it though dataloggind before having to be rebuilt .

I am on my 3rd motor in each of the 15' s and hoping 3rd time lucky .
Tranny in the Hellion car has been built as started slipping early on .MT 82 and RXT(uses previously in my 12) had not slipped a beat despite many dyno pulls to 950 rwhp but very few passes .

I spent all winter getting the cars "fine tuned" on the dyno and unable to get one pass in before the motors have to come out .

That's why I am leaving the GT 350 bone stock!(well except for flex tune)
Lol
So big question, would you go back to your same builders for a fresh motor?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well .....I had an alluminator in the 12 that broke before the " boss " long block from the builder which held up to a lot of abuse ....and I hear it is still going strong from the new owner .

The motor in the KB was built by buddy using the original block in the Hellion car and brand new rotating assembly and ARP everything .Buider believes the water jacket supports may have contributed to the cracked block .

I had another alluminator in the Hellion car that broken before the sleeved 5.2.from builder it has some blow by from day one but was told it was inherent to high horse power builds .It ran great in the dyno and made mega power so I had no second thoughts about having them build another one for the KB car .
I am not sure I can blame the builder for the blown head gasket and they offered to look it over even before I found the discolored piston(looks fine otherwise )

I know they get a bad rap at times but so far I am satisfied with their customer service and hope they will make right any issues if they related to the block .

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Well .....I had an alluminator in the 12 that broke before the " boss " long block from the builder which held up to a lot of abuse ....and I hear it is still going strong from the new owner .

The motor in the KB was built by buddy using the original block in the Hellion car and brand new rotating assembly and ARP everything .Buider believes the water jacket supports may have contributed to the cracked block .

I had another alluminator in the Hellion car that broken before the sleeved 5.2.from builder it has some blow by from day one but was told it was inherent to high horse power builds .It ran great in the dyno and made mega power so I had no second thoughts about having them build another one for the KB car .
I am not sure I can blame the builder for the blown head gasket and they offered to look it over even before I found the discolored piston(looks fine otherwise )

I know they get a bad rap at times but so far I am satisfied with their customer service and hope they will make right any issues if they related to the block .
That's my concern. It's a lot of money to invest, just to crap out. Im looking the 2,000 short block.

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting to ship motor out:mad:

Also considering having them sleeve my old alluminator block as a "spare".

I am considering the GT 350 cams as upgrade since motor is apart.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In other news.
New sleeved block originally for KB car arrived(no pics yet) .
Old engine is out and waiting to be torn down,

I am considering just using those heads(with upgraded springs) and its stock cams with the new block and throwing it in the Hellion car instead......

I could then use the block being shipped out in the KB car when I get it back.. with The COMP cams.

My concerns with my former plan is I am risking a combo(5.2 block/GT 350 heads/stock cams/upgraded springs) known to make power -almost 1100 rwhp and 100 more than it did with the alluminator at less boost for an unknown.

Cracked block in KB car-coolant around knock sensors

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
In other news.
New sleeved block originally for KB car arrived(no pics yet) .
Old engine is out and waiting to be torn down,

I am considering just using those heads(with upgraded springs) and its stock cams with the new block and throwing it in the Hellion car instead......

I could then use the block being shipped out in the KB car when I get it back.. with The COMP cams.

My concerns with my former plan is I am risking a combo(5.2 block/GT 350 heads/stock cams/upgraded springs) known to make power -almost 1100 rwhp and 100 more than it did with the alluminator at less boost for an unknown.

Cracked block in KB car-coolant around knock sensors

Did you ever mess with the 4.6/5.4 modular motors? Their engine blocks are considerably more durable in stock form. The bores on the coyotes just make the blocks too thin for this kinda carryin on. Maybe you should go old school and try some block filler.

Have you considered buying a 2018 Mustang or waiting on the 2018 engine block to be available for a build? Hopefully Ford improved the 2018 block. You seem like just to right guy to test it out.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol
But I want a 2018 (or whenever )GT500!

I would love to have an easy mid 10 second Mustang from the factory .

No messing with it except to may be pulley down or turn up boost with controller .

May be just leave it unmolested and have a warranty .

Right now my favorites mustang is my GT 350 -not one hiccup .....so far and gives me more joy on the street.
I feel no need "mod" it execept after the occasional trip to the drag strip .Lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New sleeved block is here.Previously planned for the KB car.
Since I am sending the block and heads out the Hellion car back to MMR to look at before throwing on new head gaskets,I had planned to throw this one back in the hellion car with the heads off the KB car(yes I know confusing!!).

I would then put that long block in the KB car when it comes back from MMR.
I need to send the clutch for resplinning for the Tremec anyway so anticipated the Hellion car was going to be quicker to get going,

My Tech guy however found some scorring of a few cam journals in those heads he says need to be looked at:frusty:
Damn,just cant catch a break:mad:

I am going to have it looked at by a local builder first and if it needs work planning to send it to SCP-Steve.

Sponsored

Last edited: