Sponsored

AirLift Performance 3P install

GhostS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White S500 GT
Has anyone done the airlift performance install on their own?

Trying to get a good scope on the install before I pull the trigger on the 25% off.

I don't have access to a lift but I do have jacking rails and jack stands.

I have heard its not technically difficult but is time consuming and then saw in some installs that people were dropping the subframe which sounds kinda rough.

Let me know how it went for you and if I should start looking for a local shop.
Sponsored

JoeMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 2006 GT
I did my V2 in my driveway in a day. Not difficult just takes time. You don't need to drop it, all you have to do is loosen the 4 bolts to subframe just to get clearance to remove stock spring and put the bag in.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I've done two on jack stands in my garage. It is not hard just time consuming.

The worst part is hammering out the strut bolts in the front. The bigger the hammer the easier they are.

One other bit of advice. Unbolt/un-hang the rear exhaust hangers. It will allow you to lower the rear to a point where the springs will just fall out. If you don't it will hang-up on the exhaust forcing you to pry out the spring.

OP
OP

GhostS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you guys go 1/4" or 3/8" and single or double compressor?

Trying to get a feel for what I need vs what is overkill.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I am running 1/4 and dual compressors. The 1/4 is easier to run than the 3/8 and the fractional difference in air up and down between the two was not worth it to me.

My install is unique/custom and probably the only one out there where zero and I mean zero holes were drilled anywhere in the car and it is a more solid install then all of the ones that have sheet metal screws holding things down. My install is bolted in and it ain't going anywhere.

As far as overkill. That is subjective. In the most basic configuration. I would go with a V2, air lift tank and one compressor. Me, I have a 3H/P kit; have not put in the height sensors yet. 2 compressors and a seamless 5 gallon tank.

Is this overkill? Some might say yes. But I show my car and display my install. The 3H/P is the newest airlift controller, it looks nicer, can control it from a cell phone, plus it gives more mounting options. 2 compressors look nicer, fill the tank faster and if one goes out. My car is not dead in the water. My tank is getting powder coated so no seams looks a lot nicer when displaying as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GhostS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the information!

I would be interested in the details of how you did your install if you have a writeup on it.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Thanks for the information!

I would be interested in the details of how you did your install if you have a writeup on it.
No write up but if you questions, feel free to ask.

Platinumxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT w/ PP
I run a similar set up to d4rk_hrs. I have the 3H installed with dual 444c and 1/4" lines. I used the airlift tank but powder coated then mounted it on the trunk cross member behind the seats. The Height sensors aren't to bad if know suspension travel. luckily I had help with that one. I also used sound padding in my spare tire well so my compressor noise isn't even heard with the car running at idle.

jskwarek

Buy, ***, Sell, Repeat
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skwareks.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB
For those that did the 3H kit, any pics of where you mounted your sensors, as well as pics of where you mounted the controller? I'm waiting on some brackets for my sensors to do what I think will be the best approach but for the life of me can't find a decent spot for the controller so right now I just have it run into the console glove box.

TIA,
JS
Sponsored