Air Lift 3P Notch in Upper Spring Seat for Rear Air Bag

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Thankfully, finished my 3P install yesterday. It was a long road, but I feel great about saving costs on labor. Well worth the effort...and patience paid off. Wanted to pass on some information so that it's available to those who have not yet installed their systems. I had a frustrating weekend. :frusty: If I can help avoid the same situation, then I've done my fellow Mustang owners a service.

Got a great Black Friday deal from Anthony at Hypermotive. I took my time and had some powder coating done and a stand welded for my manifold. However, I intentionally started my install on a Friday, as my car is a daily driver. Good and bad idea, because there is no technical support on the weekends. Now to my point.

When assembling the rear airbag, page 6-7 in the Rear Application Manual, step 4 and 6, figures 12 and 15, the instructions tell you to, "Center the assembly over the upper spring perch, with the upper bracket “sight hole” aligned with the notch in the upper spring seat (Fig . 15)." Great! Pretty clear and concise. Well, fine if your Mustang has the "notch" in the upper spring seat. I looked for 30 minutes and couldn't find anything. Now what!?! It's Saturday and I'm dead in the water.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Waited until Monday and contacted Air Lift Tech support. I was instructed to align the upper bracket sight hole with the shock body. The engineer advised me that Ford uses the stamp for that part intermittently, so some cars have the notch and some don't. Another rep told me, "Just make sure the sight hole is centered and facing out, away from the center of the car." So there you have it, Mustang owners with no notch beware.

Anyway, wanted to post this information so that the solution's out there. I googled and searched until I found a [email protected]. However, he only identified the problem, but didn't report the solution.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't think I have a notch either. Haven't had to look for it, though.