Sponsored

After factory engine rebuild, now 3rd gear lockout at high RPMs

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
After getting the bottom end rebuilt from Ford, I'm getting pretty consistent 3rd gear lockout at high RPMs, and occasionally 4th gear too. Never had this issue before. My gearbox was great.

I've heard the old MT82's had this issue a lot but its been ironed out for the most part, since. My question is, is the only solution to these problems a tans-mounted shifter like the MGW?
Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Some reputable tuners and Coyote guys say any lockout from the MT82 is caused by your clutch.

Go to 0:38
[ame]

OP
OP
PRG3k

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Never heard about the clutch being the culprit. Can I read that anywhere else besides from Yolo? Interesting though. Just weird how it is a night and day difference, I never had it once in 18,000 miles and a ton of drag passes. I always read that it was due to the shifter being slightly misaligned and the problem exacerbating under high revolutions.

I would love for a little bushing to fix most of it. I'm not sure how much luck I would have at the dealership telling them that it only happens when I'm winding it all the way out. It is super goddamn frustrating though.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
After getting the bottom end rebuilt from Ford, I'm getting pretty consistent 3rd gear lockout at high RPMs, and occasionally 4th gear too. Never had this issue before. My gearbox was great.

I've heard the old MT82's had this issue a lot but its been ironed out for the most part, since. My question is, is the only solution to these problems a tans-mounted shifter like the MGW?
Make sure the clutch line at the M/C isn't falling off, if the engine/trans/shifter is not in the same position it is possible that the floppy stock shifter is now rolling the shift rail just enough that it locks you out. I put a Barton in mine at about 400 miles because the stock shifter was horrible.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Make sure the clutch line at the M/C isn't falling off, if the engine/trans/shifter is not in the same position it is possible that the floppy stock shifter is now rolling the shift rail just enough that it locks you out. I put a Barton in mine at about 400 miles because the stock shifter was horrible.
Still no fix for that crap line yet? Ford won't touch mine because of my clutch.

OP
OP
PRG3k

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Do you have a physical shop in Cocoa that would install a Barton or MGW?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am gonna say clutch.
Sponsored