Sponsored

Advance/Retard Ignition Timing

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
I couldn't find any topics regarding the adjustment of the ignition timing so I started one.

I've always wondered since having the option to adjust the timing on my tuner if it was a good idea/safe. I've read advancing the timing can yield more torque and we all know our v6 could use a little bit more in the low end of the powerband. I only use 93 octane and understand the gains would be insignificant but I'm interested in others opinions, expertise, or experiences with adjusting ignition timing. I'm no where near a mechanic and very new to all this so any advice would be great!
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I couldn't find any topics regarding the adjustment of the ignition timing so I started one.

I've always wondered since having the option to adjust the timing on my tuner if it was a good idea/safe. I've read advancing the timing can yield more torque and we all know our v6 could use a little bit more in the low end of the powerband. I only use 93 octane and understand the gains would be insignificant but I'm interested in others opinions, expertise, or experiences with adjusting ignition timing. I'm no where near a mechanic and very new to all this so any advice would be great!
If you're running an aftermarket tune there should be some slight advance (fuel permitting) that your tuner should have already done. That is part of tuning. I am sure you know this is all done within the tune as the distributor days are long gone. On stock tune these engines get a ~10whp boost just from switching to 93oct, with a tune that should even be better. Something else you can do is run a Reische170* t-stat (**Be sure to tell your tuner to adjust your fans for this). This keeps temps cool allowing your car to run slightly more timing and not pull timing due to heat. Have you been datalogging with your tuner to ensure you're getting the best out of your setup?

https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/201812725-Free-Tunes-for-Life-Program

https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/201369429-How-do-I-datalog-my-vehicle-

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're running an aftermarket tune there should be some slight advance (fuel permitting) that your tuner should have already done. That is part of tuning. I am sure you know this is all done within the tune as the distributor days are long gone. On stock tune these engines get a ~10whp boost just from switching to 93oct, with a tune that should even be better. Something else you can do is run a Reische170* t-stat. This keeps temps cool allowing your car to run slightly more timing and not pull timing due to heat. Have you been datalogging with your tuner to ensure you're getting the best out of your setup?
Thank you for all that information. I just read up on that t-stat and thanks man never even knew about this but definitely makes sense. I read that you shouldn't use it in extreme cold weather and Chicago can get cold so my question is how hard is it to swap out if I gotta for the winter? I can't find pictures or videos of changing it on a 15/16 is it in the same place on older models? If you got a link to a guide or a picture of what the housing looks like id appreciate it, this is all very new to me. Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
ChiTownStang26

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and no I haven't dataloged yet. I've been trying to figure out how I'd be able to do it in a city when from what I read you have to incrementally increase your speed/rpm without stopping. But I'm probably wrong about that lmao

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Thank you for all that information. I just read up on that t-stat and thanks man never even knew about this but definitely makes sense. I read that you shouldn't use it in extreme cold weather and Chicago can get cold so my question is how hard is it to swap out if I gotta for the winter? I can't find pictures or videos of changing it on a 15/16 is it in the same place on older models? If you got a link to a guide or a picture of what the housing looks like id appreciate it, this is all very new to me. Thanks again for your help.
It's easy to change out and exactly the same unit as the 5.0L T-stat. I can't find any shop literature but the process is the same as the 5.0. Also just because you run a 170* does not mean that's what you'll be stuck at. You will still reach the required operating temps to run in extreme cold, you just won't go way over like the stock setup. Lots of tech info here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27187

ChiTownStang26 said:
Oh and no I haven't dataloged yet. I've been trying to figure out how I'd be able to do it in a city when from what I read you have to incrementally increase your speed/rpm without stopping. But I'm probably wrong about that lmao
Right, the Bama datalogging process is different for me as well. Their incremental tuning is new to me. I have never used Bama so I would call them up and I am sure they would be glad to walk you through the process so that your datalogging can be done correctly.
Sponsored