Adding backup camera for iPad install.

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I'm have the same question for the same reason. please update if you find the answer.

CompetitionOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
Digging up an old thread here insteado f makign a new one...did you ever find a good spot to tap into??

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Give me a few minutes, I'll try to dig up the info I found. I apologize for not updating this thread when I completed my install.

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Found it!

Long story short; right behind the bezel and the control box gizmo, find the two wires and splice the video wires in. I did the original wires to the display in one end of and environmental splice and the wires from the camera and the transmitter in the other. If you have any more questions I'll be around.

Sponsored

CompetitionOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
awesome thanks man! Good info!

drewfis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Performance Pack
Anyone install this with the backup camera yet? Does the back up camera app work while driving or does it only transmit while in reverse like stock?

Anyway, I really think this is the best infotainment solution. You can get the camera on Amazon for $50, hold out for another sale on this kit and wait for that $250 price tag, and craigslist a Ipad Mini 2 on Verizon for ~$200. Then boom, for ~$550 you only have almost replaced Sync with iOS!.. that is until you have to pull the sync fuses because bluetooth broke :brokenheart:

CompetitionOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I am waiting to get my stang from the shop. Some asshole hit me in a parking lot. But I talked to the guy at audioexpress and facebook and I bought the iPad kit for 240 shipped from him avoid g PayPal and eBay fees he was willing to work. Bought the wifi kit on amazon for 38 I believe. And I bought the iPad mini 4 on Black Friday for 150. Just need to get the car back......

drewfis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Performance Pack
Any update on the install CompetitionOrange? Would love to see more content on this out there other than the stuff from the manufacturer.. pictures or review or anything would be helpful :cheers:

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I am in the process of installing this right now. I used posi taps to tap into the camera wires instead of splicing it like the video shows and it works but the picture is blurry. Posi taps have great reviews and I have never had an issue with them before but does anyone know if I splice and solder the wires if I will get a better picture on my ipad?

Any update on the install CompetitionOrange? Would love to see more content on this out there other than the stuff from the manufacturer.. pictures or review or anything would be helpful :cheers:

Sponsored

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I used aviation grade environmental splices and it's not blurry exactly, but it's not an HD image either. To answer one of the other questions asked above, it only shows the camera image with the wifi app up and speeds below ~5.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Did you use butt connectors? If so did you completely cut the wire for the back up camera and butt connect that to the wifi adapter?

QUOTE=Fordman460;1656686]http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crimp-butt-splice-terminals/4445665/. This is the style I used. But be advised it requires a specific crimper that is not as common as regular Napa style crimper.[/QUOTE]

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
They are butt connectors. I simply cut the factory wires and added in the wifi wires. One wire in one side of the metal and 2 in the other. Heat the heat shrink and it seals against the environment.
Sponsored