Sponsored

A media member's honest GT350/R review....

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
The voodoo, it has an intangible element the vette simply does not have. There is always more than one way to skin a cat, but for some the main allure of the GT350 is the motor. The newest vette isn't radically different from the C5 and C6 in terms of how it takes care of business around the track. Relatively light car, tons of torque, lots of grip, also driven by retired old ladies for saturday bocce. You write off the FPC as "just an american FPC" when in reality it is currently one of a kind. You may not find value in it, but many do in terms of the rev range and available powerband it brings to the table

And end of the day its a 50k base car, no sure how we can come to expect super car tech at 50k-60k period. I realize that is a big number for your typical mustang guy, but its a small number compared to the cars it stacks up against.
The C7 Corvette is radically different from the C5 and the C6, to say it isn't just shows that you don't have the experience with them. I applaud Ford for upping their game and I hope they are seriously in it for the long haul, because there are a lot of people that will buy the Mustang. I also hope they change the GT as they improve the GT350.
Sponsored

mookydo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
The C7 Corvette is radically different from the C5 and the C6, to say it isn't just shows that you don't have the experience with them. I applaud Ford for upping their game and I hope they are seriously in it for the long haul, because there are a lot of people that will buy the Mustang. I also hope they change the GT as they improve the GT350.
Exactly, clueless. Some of these guys think the C7 Corvette uses the LS7. The C7 is wildly different than a C5.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
What's groundbreaking with the 350? Seriously? There is zero supercar performance tech thrown in here. No active aero, no hybrid tech, no ridiculous transmission, nothing crazy that you see from the current list of supercars.
With all due respect I certainly appreciate your candid comments but I for one do not consider the GT350 of the GT350R a supercar as great as they are.

How much can we really expect from an automobile that has a base price of $49,995 and heads up to ~$65,000 for the R model?

It has great new engine techology at least from a larger displacement standpoint along with the carbon fiber wheels on the R model and the magnaride suspension I suggest this car is set up extremely well for the money.

I would love to own an exotic or supercar sometime and who knows if the cards and moons are all aligned in the near future I might have a shot at a 2017 Ford GT which we all know is going to be a "Supercar" and of course will be in the $400,000 price range.

For almost 50 years I have been around all kinds of performance automobiles but after having driven this new Shelby GT350R I can say without any hesitation that this new Shelby is by far the best performance for the dollar value and excitement that I will have ever owned.

Is it a "Supercar", no but it is one heck of an automobile that accelerates, brakes, turns and handles exceptionally well for what I am investing in this automobile.

Additionally it is one great looking car and with no disrespect to the Camaro or Challenger from a styling standpoint it is not even close.

In recent years I have spent more money on some "M" cars but they can't compare to what we have here.

Just my opinion and have a great weekend hoping that our cars are finally on their way?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I guess its difficult for some to understand that the GT350 is about to do what the Corvette has done for some time and that is compete with the worlds best at a mere fraction of the cost. The Corvette bashing is nonsense at that point. There are a few of you guys that really need a cold shower.
Whether people like it or not this is a valid point.

And I'm not going to go post in the thePills Z06 thread, but the new Z is performing well above its "class" and it's doing it with old school tech. The only complaint that can be made about the car is that some owners are experiencing with heat soak. If GM solves for that, that's going to become a very difficult car to beat in the track.

If after we start to get some real times from the 350 and it truly does "class up", the we know how good of performer it will be and will only add to its mystique and value.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Additionally it is one great looking car and with no disrespect to the Camaro or Challenger from a styling standpoint it is not even close.

Just my opinion and have a great weekend hoping that our cars are finally on their way?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm with you Harry. I'm not expecting supercar anything from this car which is why I think it's silly for some to make that comparison. That was my point.

And I totally agree. Bring on the cars

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I don't know about doesn't compare with the new M. Build quality, ford can't come close. M3/M4 would be compared to a base gt350 non R. If you want to compare to an R you would use m4 gts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They took a winning architecture and made it better, the best vette made to date no doubt. Yes they made a lot of changes, added a lot of tech, and they have the performance numbers to verify the enhancements, but the basic elements that made the vette the vette, well they remain the same.

I was not trying to bash or knock the vette in any way, I was simply stating it gets business done in a slightly different manner compared to the GT350

Qtrhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
They took a winning architecture and made it better, the best vette made to date no doubt. Yes they made a lot of changes, added a lot of tech, and they have the performance numbers to verify the enhancements, but the basic elements that made the vette the vette, well they remain the same.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
The voodoo, it has an intangible element the vette simply does not have. There is always more than one way to skin a cat, but for some the main allure of the GT350 is the motor. The newest vette isn't radically different from the C5 and C6 in terms of how it takes care of business around the track. Relatively light car, tons of torque, lots of grip, also driven by retired old ladies for saturday bocce. You write off the FPC as "just an american FPC" when in reality it is currently one of a kind. You may not find value in it, but many do in terms of the rev range and available powerband it brings to the table

And end of the day its a 50k base car, no sure how we can come to expect super car tech at 50k-60k period. I realize that is a big number for your typical mustang guy, but its a small number compared to the cars it stacks up against.
Agreed.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's groundbreaking with the 350? Seriously? There is zero supercar performance tech thrown in here. No active aero, no hybrid tech, no ridiculous transmission, nothing crazy that you see from the current list of supercars.

Very few base 350s are being sold. Most are loaded with whatever option the dealers could add. Most people are buying tech pack. Most people are paying an ADM. So the bargain price, I dunno?? Maybe when compared to a base 911 I guess. But a base 911 doesn't interest me. I would venture to say the 911 is still a better overall car. You can probably provide more regarding that statement.

So besides the FPC motor, which is not what you are paying for with other higher end cars there is nothing earth shattering about the 350 other than its an American with a FPC. The other tech on the car has been used for years.

Now I'm NOT saying it's not a well balanced and sweet piece of machinery made with some good go fast parts, but lets not over protect it either.

Time will tell. We shall see how things play out. All good discussion while we wait and wait and wait and...:cheers:
Your first question of "what's groundbreaking about the GT350?" would require a 5 paragraph essay to respond and i'd rather put that energy towards my degree. All that hybrid/super trans/ technology you refer to are coming from an entirely different league - hyper cars - costing upwards of 1 - 5 million dollars per vehicle. I'm referring to supercars - base entry Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche etc - GT350 has performance to match as proved already at Grattan against the 991 GT3 and 991 Carrera S. That in itself is incredible.

The fact that I could run circles around a 991 Carrera PDK on a racetrack in my old Boss 302 Laguna Seca was amazing. The GT350 is groundbreaking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
You and I have very different definitions of groundbreaking.
But I'm sure we will enjoy our cars nonetheless.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget the BMW guys sour with the latest bunch of FI M cars
I know M car buyers who sold their brand new M3/M4 within 1 month of ownership. It's that bad.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I know M car buyers who sold their brand new M3/M4 within 1 month of ownership. It's that bad.

Damn for making over 500whp with tune only, I can't seem to find anyone talking negative about them. They are so popular that the used models with 18k miles can cost just as much as a new model.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn for making over 500whp with tune only, I can't seem to find anyone talking negative about them. They are so popular that the used models with 18k miles can cost just as much as a new model.

A lot of Porsche guys on Rennlist have given it very poor reviews. I wasn't aware it was a tune away from 500whp - that is a nice bang for buck.

Personally I love the E92 M3 and the 1M Coupe - but with the new ones out I can't buy into brands conforming to EPA/CAFE regs. That's what we're seeing now across the board in production.

mookydo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang

I was not trying to bash or knock the vette in any way, I was simply stating it gets business done in a slightly different manner compared to the GT350

I agree and think it is really cool that the American based auto companies are now able to beat down some of these snob mobiles for 50 or a 100 thousand bucks less. I love America!
Sponsored