Sponsored

A Confused/Slow Fuel Gauge

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I was not expecting this to happen, but I filled up my tank with 93 to the point that the fuel came out of the capless filler. Initially when the pump stopped pumping gas and was getting ready to leave, I turned on my car and noticed that fuel gauge was only 3 quarters :crazy: So I thought maybe the gas pump was having some problems and went to a different pump. So I filled up and noticed that the pump too was stopping the flow of gas the moment I put gas and gas slightly spilled out of the filler . So I left and the fuel gauge was still at 3 quarters and as I was driving, the fuel gauge was slowly creeping up on full and the range went from 247 to 303 :shrug:.

This has never happened to my fuel gauge before, everytime I would fill up, the fuel gauge will always point all the way to fill when I turn my car on.

Has this ever happened to your fuel gauge before?
Did I do any damage to the fuel pump, hoses, etc.?
Is the Mustang equipped with some kind of extension pipe to prevent overfilling?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Maybe I should rephrase my questions, should I be worried about any damage done to my car?
Appreciate any responses!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Sometimes it takes a while for the needle to stabilize.
The gauge needle is heavily dampened so it does not go up and down depending on if you are cornering hard or parked on an incline for a short period of time.

OP
OP
MustangDaily

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
Sometimes it takes a while for the needle to stabilize.
The gauge needle is heavily dampened so it does not go up and down depending on if you are cornering hard or parked on an incline for a short period of time.
Thanks for your response! I'll keep that in mind from now on.
Should I be concerned about damaging the charcoal canister or other fuel related parts? I did not see a check engine light when I left the pump so maybe I'm in the clear?

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Thanks for your response! I'll keep that in mind from now on.
Should I be concerned about damaging the charcoal canister or other fuel related parts? I did not see a check engine light when I left the pump so maybe I'm in the clear?
The instrument cluster has various fuel gauge strategies that are employed based on the current conditions. They are dependent on the level of fuel in the tank, driving conditions, ignition mode, and various other factors.

Since you only overfilled it once, you will most likely be fine. People who overfill their vehicles on a regular basis end up with damaged EVAP system components.
Sponsored