Sponsored

A/C whine

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
I noticed recently that when my A/C is on there is an audible whine/howling sound coming from within. The pitch of this sound changes as I give the car more or less throttle. If I turn the A/C off (but the fans are still on) the sound goes away! Anyone else experiencing something like this?

I haven't noticed any temps changes across the vents (yet) and the system has no problem cooling or heating, just this odd sound that I swore wasn't there before. Car just turned over 8,800 miles. What gives?
Sponsored

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
I noticed recently that when my A/C is on there is an audible whine/howling sound coming from within. The pitch of this sound changes as I give the car more or less throttle. If I turn the A/C off (but the fans are still on) the sound goes away! Anyone else experiencing something like this?

I haven't noticed any temps changes across the vents (yet) and the system has no problem cooling or heating, just this odd sound that I swore wasn't there before. Car just turned over 8,800 miles. What gives?
See this:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2068877&postcount=135

My extended warranty covered the new Compressor & Labor.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Mine was doing that and it turned out to be the compressor, which was failing due to the leaking evaporator. It whined for about 1 week before the temperature difference started.

I had evaporator, compressor, and accumulator replaced on mine.

OP
OP
Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
Great, thanks for the info guys. Really sad to see this failing under 10k miles...

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Great, thanks for the info guys. Really sad to see this failing under 10k miles...
I feel you there. It sucks that such a great car is plagued with such a widespread A/C issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
Just curious, how long ago were you experiencing this? And did you have success with the repairs?

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Just curious, how long ago were you experiencing this? And did you have success with the repairs?
The whine started around Thanksgiving this past year. I scheduled to get it looked at ASAP, unfortunately earliest appointment was 2 weeks later, mid December. Car died the day before I was going to bring it in (12/13). They replaced the evaporator, compressor, and accumulator while it was in. Also had fuel pump and water pump replaced (the reason it wouldn't run).

Got the car back a week later (12/20) and it seemed like the driver's side was still a tad warmer than passenger side. I was going to give it some time to see if it got better or worse before bringing it back. Unfortunately, I got t-boned on 12/27 and still don't have my car back. So I can't really tell anything about the A/C. Worse part is the impact was to the passenger A pillar and I'm worried that something might have been knocked loose with the A/C due to the impact. I should get my car back next week and I'll check over the A/C again.

OP
OP
Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
Yikes, sorry to hear that man. I'm bringing mine in Monday. Will follow up when I have results...

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Yikes, sorry to hear that man. I'm bringing mine in Monday. Will follow up when I have results...
The good news is the service techs are really good at this repair. :D

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Mine whined for 4 days and then got the dreaded snowflakes thru the vents.
Fixed in 1 afternoon.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did the same. Evap coil leak. The whine was low freon. Like back in the day low power steering fluid whine. Changed the coil under warranty. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
Just spoke with the dealer. You guys were spot on. New compressor and evaporator being installed. Hopefully these will last longer than 8,800 miles...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Mine just started as well....almost 25k miles. Ug.
Sponsored