Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
I just snagged Griot's 3" G8 ROB and thought I'd give the SPTA pads a go FTW. Since they'll end up in a ziplock bag, I got out the sharpie to remind my steel sieve of a memory where each one sits in their color schema.

IMG_0522.JPG

I started using a PC7424 ROB about 20 years ago when there were really on two pad density choices and learned to make do. Got a Rupes 6" and still only really use a green, yellow or white pad in series. What I have yet to work with are the MF or Wool ROB pads.

Anybody care to weigh in on their user experience on the MF or Wool ROB pads? I really like Zaino Fusion for my correction product as it doesn't dust up like everything else I've tried from the majors (though I'm sure there are other excellent options) and believe it or not Sal's All in One polish/protectant is pretty sweet as well (I usually use Z5 sealant but recently went straight to the AIO). I don't let the finish on my cars get to a point where I need a heavy cut (I only use DI water/never towel dry and SoCal wx gives us a nice break from winter road grime), but finding the right balance for the black sled from Stuttgart is far different than the effort on the Tundra that seems like I could drag chains across the hood w/o scratching it.

Appreciate your input on how you use your MF/Wool/Foam pads (which correction stage/with what product).
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I started using a PC7424 ROB about 20 years ago
I wasn't familiar with that polisher, John, but it looks like a quality product. However, I noticed that the max RPM is quite a bit too fast so be careful. From what I've read, 3000 is about the max speed to use so be careful and hopefully, the speed dial is marked.

.but finding the right balance for the black sled from Stuttgart is far different than the effort on the Tundra that seems like I could drag chains across the hood w/o scratching it.
That surprised me, John. I would have thought the Benz paint job would be far superior to Toyota. Sounds like the Benz clear coat is much softer.

OP
OP
TeamGomez

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't familiar with that polisher, John, but it looks like a quality product. However, I noticed that the max RPM is quite a bit too fast so be careful. From what I've read, 3000 is about the max speed to use so be careful and hopefully, the speed dial is marked.

That surprised me, John. I would have thought the Benz paint job would be far superior to Toyota. Sounds like the Benz clear coat is much softer.
KB- thanks for the reply. I've used my Rupes at max rpm for years with no problems. Though I did once burn thru the clear on my M3 trying to remove a scratch courtesy of a nice little old lady and her damned purse with more tackle hanging off it than the lip of a Goth vocalist...I suspected the scratch penetrated the clear but you won't find out until you do...

While I don't have a daily detailer's experience across the plethora of clear coats on production vehicles, that E46 M3 had a clear that would be compromised if you gave it a dirty look vice the clear on the Japanese products that seem to be happy with drive thru car washes and their spinning brushes of death.

I'm currently going thru a learning curve on my black 996 GT3 that had a ceramic applied 5 years ago b/f I bought it. Seems to have quite the soft clear beneath what's left of the ceramic. I'll need to complete the correction with a finish pad and sealant on low RPM. Still some slight haze after a cut pass followed by a yellow pad and AIO.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Though I did once burn thru the clear on my M3 trying to remove a scratch
I imagine that most people who are just starting out with a polisher have done that, John. Like you, I was attempting to remove a fairly deep scratch and next thing I knew I was looking at primer. DAMMIT. <smile>

Seems to have quite the soft clear beneath what's left of the ceramic.
I recently read about the soft clear on Benz's but from what you mentioned, it sounds like BMW uses a similar clear. Makes polishing easier but much more likely to mar and scratch not to mention easier to burn through as well.

OP
OP
TeamGomez

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I recently read about the soft clear on Benz's but from what you mentioned, it sounds like BMW uses a similar clear. Makes polishing easier but much more likely to mar and scratch not to mention easier to burn through as well.
The BMW's I tinker with are early 2000's E46's. It seems like they used different clear products on the same manuf line. My Interlagos Blue ZCP was a nightmare while a same year Silver Gray was 'average' in terms of clear durability. Evidently airshow stunt pilot Sean Tucker got a black E46 M3 with the same lousy clear coat and was so disappointed that he took the car back to the dealer months after taking delivery and handed them the keys...and they took it back.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
..he took the car back to the dealer months after taking delivery and handed them the keys...and they took it back.
Wow, John, it is very hard to believe that a dealer (these days,) took the car back! I presume they gave him a full refund?

I have to say after reading your post, BMW's credibility in terms of quality, has gone way down. Based on Beemer prices, I know I have always assumed that their vehicles as well as other high-dollar German products, had much better paint jobs than we are accustomed to with US manufacturers. Obviously, that is not the case.

I actually looked at a 7 series last year and almost purchased the car but, I just didn't like the way the '23 front ends looked.

But after reading your remarks, I NOW know differently and I appreciate the info.
Sponsored