25mm Wheel Spacers?

RandyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Muscle Car Lover
I've trawled through loads of threads but can't find anything specific on wheel spacers, so apologies if its been covered previously.

Has anybody fitted / had experience with spacers and the stock GT wheels? If so, what are your findings apart from the obvious (if any) and pictures would be nice :D

CJ's and AM says all ok with OEM wheels but I would like to hear from anybody who has fitted them.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] give him the lowdown :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I did a lot of research in wheel spacers, there are two types:

1. Slip on spacer with longer studs, available upto 15mm. THESE ARE SAFEST as they allow you torque up to full 148lb/ft as specified by Ford for wheel nuts.
2. Bolt to hub type spacer and then wheel bolts upto this, so two lots of bolts to tighten so common sense says not as safe, though 100's if not 1000's of guys run this type of spacer in US with no reported failures. These you can get in 20mm and upwards.

Now if your like me and you hate poke or bulge of the wheels, I mean protuding from body work then I would advice what I have done. Eibach 15mm slip on type spacer in the rear with longer stud bolts.

Then for the front get a 23-25.4mm bolt-on spacer.

I am researching at present finding M14 20mm longer studs so then I can get a custom 20mm slip on spacer made. But right now all I can find is ARP M12 bolts which means getting new wheel nuts to accomodate the small diameter stud.

So in short, 15mm rear and 23/25mm front gives a great look!

If you want it flush or a very minimal amount of poke, go 20mm rear and 25.4 (1") front. :)

OP
OP
RandyStang

RandyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Muscle Car Lover
Hi there

I did a lot of research in wheel spacers, there are two types:

1. Slip on spacer with longer studs, available upto 15mm. THESE ARE SAFEST as they allow you torque up to full 148lb/ft as specified by Ford for wheel nuts.
2. Bolt to hub type spacer and then wheel bolts upto this, so two lots of bolts to tighten so common sense says not as safe, though 100's if not 1000's of guys run this type of spacer in US with no reported failures. These you can get in 20mm and upwards.

Now if your like me and you hate poke or bulge of the wheels, I mean protuding from body work then I would advice what I have done. Eibach 15mm slip on type spacer in the rear with longer stud bolts.

Then for the front get a 23-25.4mm bolt-on spacer.

I am researching at present finding M14 20mm longer studs so then I can get a custom 20mm slip on spacer made. But right now all I can find is ARP M12 bolts which means getting new wheel nuts to accomodate the small diameter stud.

So in short, 15mm rear and 23/25mm front gives a great look!

If you want it flush or a very minimal amount of poke, go 20mm rear and 25.4 (1") front. :)

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] (can never get this @ thingy to work)

Just reading this again... I fully appreciate you answering my query and I'm not questioning your thought process between the 2 different types
(i can see that and I don't want to appear undermining) but i am confused now.

You say that the "bolt on" type are less safe than the "slip on" but you're saying "bolt on" (25mm) for the front is ok? Just trying to get it clear in my mind, or is choice purely based on cosmetic preference? :shrug:

I have ordered 25mm for front and rear based on the info provided by reputable suppliers over the pond. However, i will decide about the rears and the over protrusion once fitted - i have seen some pictures fitted, some look ok but some pictures show as you describe them :eyebulge:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I ordered 25mm front/23mm rear in a group buy recently but Gibbo's experience has suggested that 23mm allows the studs to foul the rear wheel. Personally i'll be trying the 25 on the rear to see what it looks like. If it looks ok that would be preferable to lobbing off a few mil of stud, for me anyway.

Safety wise the bolt-on spacers double up the number of lug nuts hence doubling the risk of one coming loose. On top of that, as Gibbo mentions, the recommended torque is 120lb/ft I seem to remember, rather than Ford's recommended 140-odd.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RandyStang

RandyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Muscle Car Lover
I ordered 25mm front/23mm rear in a group buy recently but Gibbo's experience has suggested that 23mm allows the studs to foul the rear wheel. Personally i'll be trying the 25 on the rear to see what it looks like. If it looks ok that would be preferable to lobbing off a few mil of stud, for me anyway.

Safety wise the bolt-on spacers double up the number of lug nuts hence doubling the risk of one coming loose. On top of that, as Gibbo mentions, the recommended torque is 120lb/ft I seem to remember, rather than Ford's recommended 140-odd.
Interesting points - just been checking out other manufactures torque settings and for example, an Audi Q7 stud is recommended to be 160nM which equates to 118lb/ft, which to me should be sufficient on the spacer nuts. Fords factory setting at 148lb/ft equates to 200nM - the closest i can see on the wheel stud chart is a VW Amarok at 180nM, unless my calcs are wrong. However, i am an electrical engineer and not mechanical so could be wrong :doh:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Interesting points - just been checking out other manufactures torque settings and for example, an Audi Q7 stud is recommended to be 160nM which equates to 118lb/ft, which to me should be sufficient on the spacer nuts. Fords factory setting at 148lb/ft equates to 200nM - the closest i can see on the wheel stud chart is a VW Amarok at 180nM, unless my calcs are wrong. However, i am an electrical engineer and not mechanical so could be wrong :doh:
As Gibbo also says, loads of people use these and you don't hear of them coming loose. I'll make a point of checking mine more often than I do at present but other than that I won't worry.

OP
OP
RandyStang

RandyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Muscle Car Lover
As Gibbo also says, loads of people use these and you don't hear of them coming loose. I'll make a point of checking mine more often than I do at present but other than that I won't worry.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with anybodies point of view but is interesting to see that Fords torque setting exceeds any other manufactures... Over tighten can be as damaging as under torque / loose nuts.. But i will go with you, just check more frequent unless i don't like the look and leave em off...

OP
OP
RandyStang

RandyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Muscle Car Lover
Spacers fitted, well until i opened the 2nd box and found 2 shagged nuts... o well back to the OEM look for the time being, grrrrrrr!
2016-03-14 22.26.44.jpg
2016-03-14 22.26.06.jpg
IMG-20160314-WA0016.jpg

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Careful on the last picture your address is pretty prominent. Wouldn't want any more issues on top of some shagged nuts! (Mind the pun!)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Hmmm, wouldn't spacers make it even harder to park near the curb without scraping my black alloys? Not for me thanks.
Sponsored