Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Apple/Google Maps has always been superior for me as the maps are rarely (if ever) out-dated and are almost instantly updated with new traffic patterns/roads/routes. There are also many instances where attempting to put an address into Sync 3 is a gigantic headache because it will only accept a street name a single specific way (ie: South Olden Ave must be S. Olden Ave or S. Olden Avenue or perhaps just Olden Ave - ran into this yesterday).
I would agree with this. I had an old navigation unit in my Kia optima and there were multiple instances you had to have the navigation address or even the city a certain way, which sometimes were not consistent to the next search (Ie: Saint Petersburg or St. Petersburg). Some times it would take the first way, but other times not.

I switched it out for Android auto head unit and will never go back to anything else. I could butcher the address and Google still figures it out for me.
Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
You can plan a route on your computer, send to phone, get crowd-sourced traffic, construction and police warnings. What built in Nav does that?
Unfortunately, I don’t have the time in my life to plan all my routes on a computer. A lot of my need for nav is spontaneous while I’m already on the road. My Garmin unit gives me a lot of info the iPhone doesn’t. Such as what lane to be in and an actual picture of the intersection of your next turn, trip data, elevation etc. I don’t think factory nav even does that.

The Garmin unit is my favorite except for dragging it out, sticking on windshield and plugging in. Next in line is factory nav for convenience. It’s all right there.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Unfortunately, I don’t have the time in my life to plan all my routes on a computer. A lot of my need for nav is spontaneous while I’m already on the road. My Garmin unit gives me a lot of info the iPhone doesn’t. Such as what lane to be in and an actual picture of the intersection of your next turn, trip data, elevation etc. I don’t think factory nav even does that.

The Garmin unit is my favorite except for dragging it out, sticking on windshield and plugging in. Next in line is factory nav for convenience. It’s all right there.
I recommend Google Maps then. It is excellent at lane selection. I'm an android guy and have never used Apple maps. As for spontaneous use, Google Maps is also excellent at figuring out where you want to go with less than precise input, as others have said. It doesn't matter if you call it N Main St or North Main Street or just Main, it figures it out. It integrates with your address book and POIs are always up to date. Voice recognition (with a data connection) is excellent.

Bottom line, $900 for Nav in 2018 is not a good value. Maybe $200.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I recommend Google Maps then. It is excellent at lane selection. I'm an android guy and have never used Apple maps. As for spontaneous use, Google Maps is also excellent at figuring out where you want to go with less than precise input, as others have said. It doesn't matter if you call it N Main St or North Main Street or just Main, it figures it out. It integrates with your address book and POIs are always up to date. Voice recognition (with a data connection) is excellent.

Bottom line, $900 for Nav in 2018 is not a good value. Maybe $200.

None of your points are a concern for drivers. You don't enter such things while driving, but before heading out.

Additionally, nav doesn't track and market your data to third parties. You have google maps for gimmicks like that already on your phone. It's free, because it sells your information and uses you as marketing.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
None of your points are a concern for drivers. You don't enter such things while driving, but before heading out.

Additionally, nav doesn't track and market your data to third parties. You have google maps for gimmicks like that already on your phone. It's free, because it sells your information and uses you as marketing.
Well, I was addressing stevegt who was concerned about those exact things. Lane selection is most certainly a concern for drivers, and stevegt explicitly stated "A lot of my need for nav is spontaneous while I’m already on the road." so I think the ability to rapidly enter a destination via voice is relevant. I'm willing to contend with an occasional pop-up telling me where the nearest KFC is.

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You can still build the GT350 you just have to go into performance vehicle tab and it takes you to the 2018 Mustang build page
Sponsored