2017 Mustang GT Loud ticking / clacking sound after engine rebuild

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just performed a piston / rod (bent rod from hydrolock) replacement on a 34,000 mile 2017 Mustang GT. No damage to the block or cylinder walls. Replaced the one piston and rod with an identical factory part. Replaced all piston rings, rod bearings and all of the gaskets / non reusable bolts. Performed the timing using the factory manual. Car started up and sounded great. Let it idle for 1/2 an hour giving it a few light 3000 rpm revs. Came back a few hours later and I seemed to be running a little rough and I had engine service light on. Codes P0018, P0316. (Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 2 Sensor A, Engine Misfire Detected on Startup -first 1000 Revolutions). I performed a crank relearn but afterwards I noticed a new ticking / clacking sound after I reved it past 4200 rpm. Freaked out. Calmed down. Reset the Kam. Same noise. Drained the oil and inspected for metal, everything was clean. Can anybody help me troubleshoot this engine sound? Seems to be coming from the driver side valve cover.

Sponsored

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Just to be clear. You ran it for 1/2 ….turned it off. Then came back a few hrs later ??? and started it again with codes.

what did it hyrdolock from failed head gasket ???

yeah sounds valve train related, take cover off and inspect is your first line of enquiry

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
valve train put that cover inspect, is that the side that puked the piston? first thought

OP
OP

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just to be clear. You ran it for 1/2 ….turned it off. Then came back a few hrs later ??? and started it again with codes.

what did it hyrdolock from failed head gasket ???

yeah sounds valve train related, take cover off and inspect is your first line of enquiry
ran fine for 1/2 hour - waited an hour and started again - engine light came on within a minute
Hydrolock bent a rod (cylinder 8).

OP
OP

Crashco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
valve train put that cover inspect, is that the side that puked the piston? first thought
Same side but it sounds like it’s close to the front. Maybe cylinder 5 or 6?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If I were looking, with the engine running, using a dowel. Placed on the valve cover & up to your ear. You can locate the noise.
Sponsored