Sponsored

2016 GT Premium Radio Upgrade

Jones3jd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIP Premium GT PP
Hey Everyone,

I am tired of the awful stereo that comes with the premium cars. It has to be one of the worst "premium" sound systems I have ever heard. I wish there was an option to have the NAV and the factory provide some preamp outputs...One can dream.

Anyhow, I am going to be neutering the stock 9 speaker setup.

I have ordered the following components;

Morel Maximo 6 Components for the front stage
Dayton HO 12" DVC 4 ohms
1.7 ft^3 Box Tuned to 29 hz - Concept Enclosures (will fit in the trunk under the rear speakers if that makes sense)
Pioneer - GM-D9605
Audio Control LC7i for DSP and to eliminate bass "roll off". I will be bridging the amp to the components to start, but this leaves me options to expand depending on the results.

And that is it...going from 9 speakers to 5. Once I get this installed I will get back with the results. This is just the beginning as I am testing out a lot of speakers I have never used before. This whole project will come in right at $1,000. I am having a reputable shop do the install because I don't feel like tearing my car apart to run the wires.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Sounds like a solid budget setup. Any particular reason you aren’t doing a three way up front?

OP
OP

Jones3jd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIP Premium GT PP
Sounds like a solid budget setup. Any particular reason you aren’t doing a three way up front?
This was done on a budget obviously and to be honest I disnt even look into a 3 way setup up front. If I am still really unhappy I can always find a different setup. I do plan to. Have the shop wire for the future as well.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I can only imagine this will be sufficient for normal needs. The dsp you chose will limit expansion of the system without upgrading to another unit though.

The odds are, with proper tuning, you will be more than satisfied. It’s more about the install quality than quantity. Treat the doors right and deadening where it needs to be.

Good luck and hope to hear about your results.

OP
OP

Jones3jd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIP Premium GT PP
Ok guys, the results are in. It is a HUGE upgrade. CS Motorsport in Gastonia N.C. did an amazing job with the install.

However, to make this look completely stock with the port firing into a confined space (I’ll get pics up tomorrow) the lows were more fealt than heard.

By simply firing the port into the trunk the Dayton came alive, just perfectly musical and deep, Jurassic Park deep. Phone vibrating off the console deep, while keeping its composure.

I had the doors sealed up and deadened, and the mids are perfect. The sub rolls right in in perfect harmony.
Sponsored