Sponsored

2012 Roush Stage III manual vrs 2018 gt with a10, who wins 1/4 mile?

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
My dad has a 2012 stock Roush stage 3 with manual transmission. I believe it was claimed to be arround 540ish crank horsepower. I'm getting a stock 2018 performance pack 1 Gt with auto transmission in next few weeks. I was just wondering if my car would keep up. My car will obviously make up some time with quicker shifting. Im not sure how much that will offset his power advantage. Anyone have experience with the early supercharged Roush coyotes? I've heard that the factory tune is super conservative, any truth to that? Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
hes lighter with more power but i think ultimately it could be a close race assuming he can drive at all with him being a manual car

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
hes lighter with more power but i think ultimately it could be a close race assuming he can drive at all with him being a manual car
I totally over looked the weight deference. I assumed the added supercharger,fluids etc. of the roush package would offset the weight gain of the newer model car. I'll see if I can find the weight of a stage III car.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
looks like 2012 gt is about 3600 vs your prob 3800+, add the s/c for him and i guess that prob puts you guys pretty even on weight. would be pretty close race id think. again given that hes stick and you are auto my guess is you might edge out a win

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I spent a afternoon driving a 2015 Roush with 627hp. My 2018 A10 would beat it when it was stock I believe. I don't think it would be close to be honest.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
I spent a afternoon driving a 2015 Roush with 627hp. My 2018 A10 would beat it when it was stock.
I remember reading an article that tested a 2013ish roush stg III. Basically they said it was barely quicker than the boss 302 w only 444hp. I'll see if I can locate it again. I just thought that maybe the Roush car isn't making claimed power. Or, it isn't able to put the power to use effectively. I've driven the car multiple times, and it feels strong. But it didnt feel like i expected 540ish hp to. I think a custom tune would make a big difference. When I first test drove the 18 w a10, I immediately thought "wow this thing is as fast as the Roush". I know butt dynos dont tell the whole story. I'll have to see if I can talk him into a few fun runs, at the strip.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I remember reading an article that tested a 2013ish roush stg III. Basically they said it was barely quicker than the boss 302 w only 444hp. I'll see if I can locate it again. I just thought that maybe the Roush car isn't making claimed power. Or, it isn't able to put the power to use effectively. I've driven the car multiple times, and it feels strong. But it didnt feel like i expected 540ish hp to. I think a custom tune would make a big difference. When I first test drove the 18 w a10, I immediately thought "wow this thing is as fast as the Roush". I know butt dynos dont tell the whole story. I'll have to see if I can talk him into a few fun runs, at the strip.
It's faster. He can't shift as fast and the 18 is underrated on power. I've driven a stock 18 A10 (mine before boost), 15 Roush at 627hp (MT82), and a stock 2012 GT500 manual at I believe 550hp. I'd take the 2018 A10 in Drag mode against the other 2.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Depends if the manual car is on a slick and if the driver can actually drive! My car with a frpp2 tune went 11.8! The frpp2 tune supposedly is only about 460hp at the crank so I would think the Roush should win.

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
Depends if the manual car is on a slick and if the driver can actually drive! My car with a frpp2 tune went 11.8! The frpp2 tune supposedly is only about 460hp at the crank so I would think the Roush should win.
Both cars are on factory tires. I believe the Roush has cooper rs3. 2018 is pp1. He is a competent shifter, but not a pro racer by any stretch. I'll try to do multiple runs wout cool down between. The more heat soak involved, the odds should shift in my favor.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Both cars are on factory tires. I believe the Roush has cooper rs3. 2018 is pp1. He is a competent shifter, but not a pro racer by any stretch. I'll try to do multiple runs wout cool down between. The more heat soak involved, the odds should shift in my favor.
I predict you win the best of 3!

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Gt will win. Auto vs stick. Rousch mustangs are notorious for shitty 1\4 mile numbers. Not all but most

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2012 Roush RS3, stock was 540hp at the crank. I have the Roush phase 1 tune. (Smaller pulley and tune) It’s rated at 575hp but is closer to 600hp with tune. (phase 2 is 625hp, phase 3 is 675) Three major problems: One- M82 transmission, Shifting from 1st to 2nd at redline you get locked out. The shifter linkage doesn’t line up at redline and you can’t get it into 2nd. There are fixes for it. Two- Getting power to the ground. If I boot it at 70mph with traction control off it smokes the rear tires and the car immediately rotates like 45 degrees. Got to take your foot out of it or crash!!!! With traction control on it’s very squirmy. Three- Getting ready to shift at top of a gear the boost builds and the rear tires start to spin before I’m ready to shift. The rear tires are spinning and I haven’t shifted yet! Have to keep traction control on! I have 2 friends with new Mustangs with automatics and they shift so fast and put the power down efficiently, I think they would really give me a hard time and probably win. As fast as the automatics are I would still buy a manual. (That’s why I just got Shelby GT350, love the transmission in it) The Roush is loud, obnoxious and fun to drive. Not really worried about who’s car is a little faster anymore! Yah I’m old!

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Im betting on an auto over a manual 9 times outta 10. You have to be willing to break stuff. To be fast with a manual.

OP
OP
Zoso

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
This is all kind of confirming my suspicions. Looks like I'll have a real shot at keeping up. I'll update this w the out come after I pick up my car. But I live in Ohio, so it will probably be spring by the time the weather is favorable enough to get to the track.

rjstubbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I don't think you have a chance. I pulled about a car length on a stock 2019 GT Auto with my 2013 GT manual with a cobra jet NA setup running 93 with a bama tune. I ran him again with my VMP gen 2R setup and it wasn't even close. We did a couple 30 rolls and some 50 rolls. On the 50 rolls I even started in forth instead of 3rd and still pulled away from him pretty hard.
Sponsored