Sponsored

20-22 Transmission Overheat Solution + filters change in the Tremec TR-9070 tranny (videos)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
I take my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP to the dealer to change both filters in the Tremec DCT TR-9070 7-speed dual clutch transmission. The transmission fluid is drained and the side filter as well as the pan filter are both changed... I show the process!

I've had 3 recent track days where I got transmission too hot messages on the dash on my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP. I also got a clutch pack too hot message on one of these track days. All 3 days had air temps north of 100 degrees. I show how I went about solving this problem with my Tremec TR-9070 DCT 7-speed dual clutch transmission.

Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Another couple of great videos. Thanks.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
FYI, the side filter requires replacement every 20k miles.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Cliffs notes: did it pass the next track outing test?
I just did first oil change and sent a sample for an analysis and will do tgat every year.
They offer it for trans fluid also and should definitely help like you who go to track often.
That 20k service, is that for regular track use?
-J

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Cliffs notes: did it pass the next track outing test? YES
I just did first oil change and sent a sample for an analysis and will do tgat every year.
They offer it for trans fluid also and should definitely help like you who go to track often.
That 20k service, is that for regular track use? ITā€™S SPELLED OUT IN THE OWNERā€™S MANUAL UNDER REGULAR MAINTENANCE.
-J

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Great videos, thank you!

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
To me it looks like you never cleaned up the back half of the cooler after off-roading at Cresson. Glad it's all back to normal and working well now.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Great videos, thank you!
Thank you sir!
To me it looks like you never cleaned up the back half of the cooler after off-roading at Cresson. Glad it's all back to normal and working well now.
I took the front fascia off the car and sprayed the trans cooler with water after my excursion into the creek. I did not drop it down through to see how plugged it was. I did not show a picture of the whole thing plugged because I never took one. The tech at the dealership hit it good with compressed air to give it a start on removing the pebbles and rubber. I did another round at home on the lift. I then pulled the cooler down and saw how plugged it still was. Thatā€™s the pic I show in the video and yes, the back third is the most plugged because it is blocked by the mount/deflector.

So, that was a long winded answer to say yes, I cleaned it post track mishap, but I did not know the extent it was plugged since I did not drop it down. The pebbles and rubber came from many many track days parked behind cars slinging debris while working on passing.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Even though I havenā€™t seen overheating, I wondered if I have blockages building up like yours. So I grabbed by borescope this weekend to take a look. What I found:
1. The clearance between that deflector and the cooler is too tight to see much.
2. There is a lot of debris back there. Mostly big pieces are visible. But wonder whatā€™s in the finsā€¦.

Next time I have it on the lift, I plan to drop the belly pan and clean it out.
Thanks for the instructions on how to to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Even though I havenā€™t seen overheating, I wondered if I have blockages building up like yours. So I grabbed by borescope this weekend to take a look. What I found:
1. The clearance between that deflector and the cooler is too tight to see much.
2. There is a lot of debris back there. Mostly big pieces are visible. But wonder whatā€™s in the finsā€¦.

Next time I have it in the lift, I plan to drop the belly pan and clean it out.
Thanks for the instructions on how to to that.
Appreciate the feedback!

Since you have spent quite a bit of time at the track like I have, I can guarantee you have debris stuck in there.
Sponsored