Sponsored

Dealer cost to install Ford Performance Street Handling Pack (M-FR3A-MA)?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hey everyone,

Looking at a holistic solution for lowering my 2017 GT vs. just throwing some lowering springs on there. Pretty sure I'm going with the Ford Performance Street Handling Pack, which as you know, is basically the Performance Pack. I was dead-set on the color of my GT with the Premium Package and there weren't any with the Perf Pack in my city when I was looking to buy.

This is my daily driver (roughly 80 miles of highway and local streets a day!) so the ride needs to stay relatively compliant. No Track Pack for me.

Here's where it gets dicey: I've the tools necessary for the install, minus the lift and the pole jack, and enough wrenching experience to get this done. But what I'm short on is spare time. It may be worth my time and money to have the dealer do it...and keep my warranty out of the "questionable zone."

Before I call my local dealers (including where I bought the car) and possibly get 3 wildly different quotes, I'm curious as to a ball park figure of how much it would cost to get this complete kit installed. I know dealers bill by the hour and partial hours, so a "time quote" would be fine too. I just don't want to get scammed.

BTW, I know I'll need a four-wheel alignment...factor that in there too, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks very much.
Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

Looking at a holistic solution for lowering my 2017 GT vs. just throwing some lowering springs on there. Pretty sure I'm going with the Ford Performance Street Handling Pack, which as you know, is basically the Performance Pack. I was dead-set on the color of my GT with the Premium Package and there weren't any with the Perf Pack in my city when I was looking to buy.

This is my daily driver (roughly 80 miles of highway and local streets a day!) so the ride needs to stay relatively compliant. No Track Pack for me.

Here's where it gets dicey: I've the tools necessary for the install, minus the lift and the pole jack, and enough wrenching experience to get this done. But what I'm short on is spare time. It may be worth my time and money to have the dealer do it...and keep my warranty out of the "questionable zone."

Before I call my local dealers (including where I bought the car) and possibly get 3 wildly different quotes, I'm curious as to a ball park figure of how much it would cost to get this complete kit installed. I know dealers bill by the hour and partial hours, so a "time quote" would be fine too. I just don't want to get scammed.

BTW, I know I'll need a four-wheel alignment...factor that in there too, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks very much.
DO NOT waste your money. Ford track pack is a wet fart. If you can afford it get Ride Tech coil over setup. I have tried multiple lowering springs and they blow on our cars. Out of all the springs I have installed on my GT the Swift springs took the trophy. But even they do not compare to ride tech.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I'd grab Steeda's Pro-Action dampers and BMR SP080 springs for an awesome ride. Cheaper than the FRPP street or track pack and better. You already have the toe link included in the pack, and the PP rear sway bar is ~$30.

[MENTION=10530]MustangCollector[/MENTION] has tested nearly everything out there and here's his recent review of this:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1753889&postcount=453

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks for the ideas. I don't currently have the Performance Pack. I have a bone-stock 2017 GT Premium. So no special sway bars or end links that come with the PerfPK. I'd like to avoid piecing together the suspension upgrades. It would be very easy to order some lowering springs and throw them in there.

But then the factory shocks' travel is now limited, and possibly a bunch of other "problems created by just throwing some lowering springs on there."

I like the Ford Perf Street Handling Pack b/c it's an engineered kit (the Perf Pack, essentially) and seems that it would give me what I'm looking for: A slightly lowered ride height/center of gravity, without losing too much of the factory ride quality AND not screaming "AFTERMARKET WARRANTY VOIDING PARTS!" to every dealer service mechanic changing my oil. :clap2:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the ideas. I don't currently have the Performance Pack. I have a bone-stock 2017 GT Premium. So no special sway bars or end links that come with the PerfPK. I'd like to avoid piecing together the suspension upgrades. It would be very easy to order some lowering springs and throw them in there.

But then the factory shocks' travel is now limited, and possibly a bunch of other "problems created by just throwing some lowering springs on there."

I like the Ford Perf Street Handling Pack b/c it's an engineered kit (the Perf Pack, essentially) and seems that it would give me what I'm looking for: A slightly lowered ride height/center of gravity, without losing too much of the factory ride quality AND not screaming "AFTERMARKET WARRANTY VOIDING PARTS!" to every dealer service mechanic changing my oil. :clap2:
The non-PP front bar is the same as the PP, it just has different/better mounting brackets and bushings. So in terms of roll stiffness, it's a wash. The rear is ever so slightly larger (22.2 mm vs. 21.7 mm) and is about ~7% stiffer. The toe links on your car are identical to the ones in that kit. You're really paying for springs and dampers. The dampers are certainly better than what's on your car, but far from the best available in this price range.

Yes, the FRPP packs are nice from the perspective of being plug-and-play, but the PP can definitely be improved upon significantly. If you're going to drop $1000, why not do something that's better overall? I also started from a non-PP car. You can have your cake and eat it too (modest drop, equal or better ride quality, better handling). If your dealer gets that riled up by shocks and springs, I'd find a new dealer to get service done at.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, BmacIL. That's the kind of factual feedback I need. I'm brand-new to the Mustang modding game, so am still learning what "aftermarket Ford parts" are actually standard Ford parts included in the various packages.

Your statement of "You can have your cake and eat it too (modest drop, equal or better ride quality, better handling)" is EXACTLY what I'm looking for with this suspension upgrade endeavor.

This is my daily driver, not a weekend-only track car.
I do not want the car to ride like an Oxcart carrying bags of cement off-road.
The car's frame cannot be 1/64" off the pavement as I actually drive on real (crappy)roads.

So you hit on the head what I'm looking for...so what do you suggest as far as parts? Preferably a KIT that is designed to work together?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, BmacIL. That's the kind of factual feedback I need. I'm brand-new to the Mustang modding game, so am still learning what "aftermarket Ford parts" are actually standard Ford parts included in the various packages.

Your statement of "You can have your cake and eat it too (modest drop, equal or better ride quality, better handling)" is EXACTLY what I'm looking for with this suspension upgrade endeavor.

This is my daily driver, not a weekend-only track car.
I do not want the car to ride like an Oxcart carrying bags of cement off-road.
The car's frame cannot be 1/64" off the pavement as I actually drive on real (crappy)roads.

So you hit on the head what I'm looking for...so what do you suggest as far as parts? Preferably a KIT that is designed to work together?
Well, kits are a little harder to find. You only really have one option for springs that are modest lowering and close to stock rates: BMR's SP089 front springs and SP082 rear springs. They are designed to work with PP dampers. That said, if you read the link I posted above, you can definitely do better. The Steeda Pro-Actions are going to be your best bet for being able to get both. If you spring for adjustables, you can keep them soft for daily use, and if you ever do anything like autocross or just good spirited back roads driving, turn them up a little for increased rebound damping (which will make the car feel glued to the road, but will be less compliant). Steeda also offers some fixed valve versions of those, which I own, that will definitely work well with those springs, but will be on the stiffer end of the spectrum you'd ever want to be in. That combo would be better for someone who is more focused on handling.

Here's what I'd recommend:
Front springs - http://www.lethalperformance.com/bm...ance-front-minimum-drop-lowering-springs.html
Rear springs - http://www.lethalperformance.com/bmr-s550-mustang-performance-rear-lowering-springs.html
Shocks and Struts - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-pro-action-shocks-struts-kit-555-8157.html

With that, you'll get a 7/8" front drop, 1/2" rear drop, and dampers that will allow the car to be very compliant on the road but with a sporting feel when you turn the wheel.

Here's what that looks like:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80545&stc=1&d=1465262305

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98347&stc=1&d=1475739033

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94186&stc=1&d=1473173869

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
That last pic you posted, with the Magnetic Stang...that's IT. That's the stance I want. As I've already got 20's on the car, I've got that piece of the puzzle already. If I could get that stance with a ride quality not too far off from stock I'd be very happy. Of course, wheel alignment is important to me as well. But with just a 1" or so drop I don't think that's an issue.

BTW, I forgot to ask: Regardless of what brand I go with, assuming a 1" drop, do I absolutely NEED camber/caster plates/kit in order to get the wheels aligned to factory spec? Thanks so much!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That last pic you posted, with the Magnetic Stang...that's IT. That's the stance I want. As I've already got 20's on the car, I've got that piece of the puzzle already. If I could get that stance with a ride quality not too far off from stock I'd be very happy. Of course, wheel alignment is important to me as well. But with just a 1" or so drop I don't think that's an issue.

BTW, I forgot to ask: Regardless of what brand I go with, assuming a 1" drop, do I absolutely NEED camber/caster plates/kit in order to get the wheels aligned to factory spec? Thanks so much!
Nope. Around -1 to -1.5 camber isn't going to cause excessive wear. Toe does that.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
First of all the FRPP street/track packs aren't garbage. There is a reason Ford won't release the technical specs of the components. And it's not because they don't work. I have the FRPP track pack and really like it. You can read many other good reviews on this forum about it.

I think the street package is a good option for you. I've heard reports that it is better than the OEM ride quality. And as [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] said, it's good for a one and done no fuss perspective. You should be able to maintain good ride quality with that combination. If I was to get to that package - the only thing I would add is the toe to knuckle bearing, which is in the track package. This is a very nice piece which increase the stability of the car in throttle down thru corners.

With all that said, there are many other options which might suit your needs or desires better. But you do run the risk of it not working out due to the fact that the various parts aren't engineered as one package. But if you with a conservative spring like the BMR performance springs (SP080), you can tailor it to either your stock dampers, PP dampers, or something like Steeda Pro Actions. The Pro Actions get a lot of good reviews.

My advice, really think about it and be honest with yourself about what you want out of the car and then go over the options that will get you there. No need to go too far with it. You can add significant NVH without trying too hard. Re-doing a suspension is not an easy thing to do.

Sponsored

Boilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Ingot Silver w/Red interior (Navi, GT PP
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]

In the last pic, does the vehicle have any type of wheel spacer? I have the PP and needed to add the Motorsports-tech wheel spacers to get that look of flush fender to wheel.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
First of all the FRPP street/track packs aren't garbage. There is a reason Ford won't release the technical specs of the components. And it's not because they don't work. I have the FRPP track pack and really like it. You can read many other good reviews on this forum about it.

I think the street package is a good option for you. I've heard reports that it is better than the OEM ride quality. And as [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] said, it's good for a one and done no fuss perspective. You should be able to maintain good ride quality with that combination. If I was to get to that package - the only thing I would add is the toe to knuckle bearing, which is in the track package. This is a very nice piece which increase the stability of the car in throttle down thru corners.

With all that said, there are many other options which might suit your needs or desires better. But you do run the risk of it not working out due to the fact that the various parts aren't engineered as one package. But if you with a conservative spring like the BMR performance springs (SP080), you can tailor it to either your stock dampers, PP dampers, or something like Steeda Pro Actions. The Pro Actions get a lot of good reviews.

My advice, really think about it and be honest with yourself about what you want out of the car and then go over the options that will get you there. No need to go too far with it. You can add significant NVH without trying too hard. Re-doing a suspension is not an easy thing to do.
On the toe knuckle bearing, you're better off buying the bearings separately to put into the knuckle side than getting the toe links and pressing them out. All GTs have the PP toe link.

Overall the above advice is good. You have to decide how much convenience is worth to you. I don't think the FRPP street package is bad, far from it. I just think you can do better for the money if you're willing to go for a bit less than plug and play, a little more a la carte.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
It's not price or convenience that are my concerns; it's the guarantee that parts will work together, which is why the FRPP is appealing to me. Frankly, I want a plug and play, set and forget package/upgrade. Trying to find out what a dealer would charge to install it all (before calling them just in case they quote me something wacky and I don't know any better.)

If it takes me 12 hours to install it all myself, I'm good with that. I don't have the time to buy (for example) 6 different spacers of some kind and swap them out and chart the cornering g-forces I get with each one to see which one I like best. If I was retired and could play with my car all day, I sure as heck would! But I'm a working man with 12+hour days and a house/family as well competing for my time.

I'm not in too much of a rush, so I'll keep reading this forum, primarily along with other resources to see if someone found that X parts from this brand work great with these Y parts from this other brand. Right now though, the Street Handling Pack is looking like what I want. Although I am wondering what the Track Handling Pack is like w/the sways set on the loosest setting vs. the Street Pack? I do not want that "welded together" feeling like my buddy's GT500 with basically no rubber bushings in the car. That car is not drivable on the street IMO.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's not price or convenience that are my concerns; it's the guarantee that parts will work together, which is why the FRPP is appealing to me. Frankly, I want a plug and play, set and forget package/upgrade. Trying to find out what a dealer would charge to install it all (before calling them just in case they quote me something wacky and I don't know any better.)

If it takes me 12 hours to install it all myself, I'm good with that. I don't have the time to buy (for example) 6 different spacers of some kind and swap them out and chart the cornering g-forces I get with each one to see which one I like best. If I was retired and could play with my car all day, I sure as heck would! But I'm a working man with 12+hour days and a house/family as well competing for my time.

I'm not in too much of a rush, so I'll keep reading this forum, primarily along with other resources to see if someone found that X parts from this brand work great with these Y parts from this other brand. Right now though, the Street Handling Pack is looking like what I want. Although I am wondering what the Track Handling Pack is like w/the sways set on the loosest setting vs. the Street Pack? I do not want that "welded together" feeling like my buddy's GT500 with basically no rubber bushings in the car. That car is not drivable on the street IMO.
That is what prompted me to switch to the Ford Racing track springs and dampers. Originally I had BMR SP080s and Koni Sport dampers (still have them in my garage). Something about the combination didn't work - I blame it on the bumpstops or more likely just the compression on the Konis being too stiff for that spring rate. A higher rate spring would've been a better match.

I didn't want to go shopping and switching forever so I decided to turn to Ford Racing because they designed the car and the springs and shocks to work together. I'm not disappointed. It handles like a beast. I've taken back road sweepers (in Mexico) at over 100 mph and even with bumps at that speed it stays.

Now I have other IRS aftermarket parts that make my ride a lot stiffer. So the combination of parts makes for a very stiff and firm ride. Right on the barrier of harsh and tolerable. That's why I'm betting that the FRPP X springs and the PP shocks, with no other IRS parts besides sways, would ride very well. Like I said reviews of the X springs say they are even more comfortable than stock.

With more IRS parts you will bring in more NVH. My car feels almost like a race car with the FRPP track setup and the IRS parts I have. On bad roads it's a harsh ride but not undrivable to me.

Choose your parts wisely. If ride quality is a major concern - stay near the OEM spring rate and choose shocks/struts like the PPs or the Steeda Pro Actions. The Pro Actions have a better compression and more rebound adjustability than most, definitely more than the Konis. You don't need the Ford Racing shocks honestly. The PP shocks will be fine.

My recommendation is this: Street package or: BMR SP080s w/ Steeda Pro Actiom adjustable, BMR sway bar kit and BMR CB005. That will nail your handling and should give you a pretty solid ride quality.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
On the toe knuckle bearing, you're better off buying the bearings separately to put into the knuckle side than getting the toe links and pressing them out. All GTs have the PP toe link.

Overall the above advice is good. You have to decide how much convenience is worth to you. I don't think the FRPP street package is bad, far from it. I just think you can do better for the money if you're willing to go for a bit less than plug and play, a little more a la carte.

[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION]- you are right. He can do better for the $$$. The sway bars don't really give much, and the PP shocks aren't a big upgrade from stock. A lot of people complain about the odd valving of those shocks. I have to think though that the X street springs are optimized for the PP shocks. But again I caution against swapping too many different brands of parts without knowing the consequences.

And if you're just on the street and ride quality is a main concern, you don't want really want to go too invasive into it. That's when the NVH increases really start to happen.
Sponsored